I'm going to order the DNA kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's useless. There's no point in doing it, unless you're part of some rigorous study that hopes to either prove or dispute a claim, in which case your participation would be free. You can have a very good picture of what you are from your tribe. If you're Darod, you're most likely J1. If you're Hawiye or Dir, you're most likely e1b1b. If you're Idoor, you're most likely T. There, I just saved you $100+/

something interesting regarding 23andme, before they offered strictly ancestral services, they use to give you risk of devloping cancer, diabetes (insert some disease) based on your genetics.

Apollo

VIP
http://23andme.com/

This one is the most popular one with the most Somalis on their platform.
However, they jacked up the price from $99 to $199 recently with no improvements (same service).
It's useless. There's no point in doing it, unless you're part of some rigorous study that hopes to either prove or dispute a claim, in which case your participation would be free. You can have a very good picture of what you are from your tribe. If you're Darod, you're most likely J1. If you're Hawiye or Dir, you're most likely e1b1b. If you're Idoor, you're most likely T. There, I just saved you $100+/

Actually you are wrong. The Dir are completely T1. The Isaaq are about half E1b1b half T1, and the Darod and Hawiye are completely E1b1b. No Somali clan has much J1, it is almost nonexistent.

Anyhow, there's more to genetics than just paternal lineages. There's also autosomal ancestry, health based SNPs, maternal lineages and much more.
What if you have non-African ancestry in you, I'd like to know.
All Somalis do.

I'd like to know my maternal lineage.

My mom and her mom and her mom all have blue eyes ever since they were born. That side would be more interesting to me

Sultana

On Hiatus
Are they dark blue (think of sapphire)? Or like white people blue?

@Amun I'm talking about recent non-African ancestry, not ancestors from 2000 years ago.

tumblr_mbxtqn7lvG1reackao1_500.jpg

Like this.

Apollo

VIP
I'd like to know my maternal lineage.

My mom and her mom and her mom all have blue eyes ever since they were born. That side would be more interesting to me

That is more likely to have been caused by a mutation (as in a defect) than by foreign ancestry.

Sultana

On Hiatus
I know a Somali lady with dark blue eyes, but I'm pretty sure it's a mutation because no one in her family has blue eyes. I've also met a Somali lady with green eyes, but I know nothing about her.

But I disagree with Amun, if your family has light blue eyes, I think you might have some English ancestry.

Apollo

VIP
@Sultana

Just like there are people born with genetic defects like celiac disease or a third nipple, you can find Blacks and Asians with rare mutations causing light eyes without them having any European ancestry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending