Igbos’ islamphobia

Barni

⚠️ EPILEPTIC WARNING ⚠️
So earlier today i was scrolling through tiktok & i saw this vid.

Most of the comments (alot were deleted but some remain) of igbos, who r mainly christians, taking digs at hausas, who r mainly muslims. Despite this having nothing to do with us, but alot of igbos were blaming islam for the reason y child marriage is allowed in nigeria. Which got me thinking today isn’t islam a religion applicable for all times? So why is the prophet marriage to aisha the only exception muslims will have for child marriage? I get that ppl say girls matured differently back then, but that could also be applied to girls in the east yet many would object to it. In my opinion i just believe many muslims wouldnt have a problem with child marriage if they weren’t raised in the west. I know this is a tired topic but so far I haven’t seen a good discussion on it since it is a sensitive topic.

tyrannicalmanager

pseudo-intellectual
it's sensitive topic because 1 side will accuse you of being a pedophile and child abuser if you legitimately want to talk about this issue.

Last edited:

Barni

⚠️ EPILEPTIC WARNING ⚠️
it's sensitive topic because 1 side will accuse you of being a pedophile and child abuser if legitimately want to talk about this issue.
I know which is y we could never have these discussions honestly , but these uncomfortable conversations must be had.

Garaad diinle

 
These sort of marriages were happening everywhere and arabs were doing it before islam and post islam it's not something that was introduced or promoted by islam. There is no islamic text to my knowledge that advocates for it either but it's not forbidden either. You can't judge islam by modern day standers moral and ethics changes from time to time but islam is stead fast in it's message. For example today it's okay to walk with what could be identified as a swimsuit in public but that's haram in islam. The fact that it's okay today does not discredit islam today or even back then.

There is a difference between marriage and the consummation of marriage. Marriage could occur at anytime but the consummation of the marriage could only occur after one reaches physical maturity and is able to have their period. What the prophet ﷺ did is that he set a limit for the consummation starting from physical maturity up to whatever age there is. Out of the prophets ﷺ wife's aisha رضي الله عنه was the only one so it's not like young marriage was preferable choice. At any rate it's not haram if the said person person is of physical maturity and is able to have their period along side other requirement but you're not a sinner if you don't want to do it.

Last edited:

Barni

⚠️ EPILEPTIC WARNING ⚠️
These sort of marriages were happening everywhere and arabs were doing it before islam and post islam it's not something that was introduced or promoted by islam. There is no islamic text to my knowledge that advocates for it either in islam but it's not forbidden either. You can't judge islam by modern standers. For example today it's okay to walk with what could be identified as a swimsuit in public but that's haram in islam. The fact that it's okay today does not discredit islam.

There is a difference between marriage and the consummation of marriage. Marriage could occur at anytime but the consummation of the marriage could only occur after one reaches physical maturity and is able to have their period. What the prophet ﷺ did is that he set a limit for the consummation starting from physical maturity up to whatever age there is. Out of the prophets ﷺ wife's aisha رضي الله عنه was the only one so it's not like young marriage was preferable choice. At any it's not haram if the the said person person is of physical maturity and is able to have their period along side other requirement but you're not a sinner if you don't want to do it.
Obviously i am not saying islam promotes child marriage. But we take example from the prophet’s marriages. He married widows, jews, christians and slaves as an example to muslim men & to show them what marriages r permissible. It just that most men want to taking his example of marrying aisha, & ignore the rest. As for the part u mentioned physical maturity just bcs the prophet waited, it doesn’t mean it’s required of men to wait till girls hit puberty. There is no age limitation for the consummation of marriage.

Garaad diinle

 
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
There seems to be a deep story behind this. Are we going to see a thread about it anytime soon? I'm intrigued when can we see the whole sheeko sheeko time.

iu

Garaad diinle

 
Obviously i am not saying islam promotes child marriage. But we take example from the prophet’s marriages. He married widows, jews, christians and slaves as an example to muslim men & to show them what marriages r permissible. It just that most men want to taking his example of marrying aisha, & ignore the rest. As for the part u mentioned physical maturity just bcs the prophet waited, it doesn’t mean it’s required of men to wait till girls hit puberty. There is no age limitation for the consummation of marriage.
Exactly i agree with everything you said except the last part. Physical maturity is required in the case of consummation but not for marriage there is a difference between the two. Some people would like to emulate the prophet ﷺ when it to comes to say marrying multiple wife but not in other stuff such as tarawih in ramadan which is sunnah. It's the basic pick and choose tactics.

Barni

⚠️ EPILEPTIC WARNING ⚠️
Exactly i agree with everything you said except the last part. Physical maturity is required in the case of consummation but not for marriage there is a difference between the two. Some people would like to emulate the prophet ﷺ when it to comes to say marrying multiple wife but not in other stuff such as tarawih in ramadan which is sunnah. It's the basic pick and choose tactics.
Do you mind providing evidence for that claim? Bcs if there isn’t any evidence for this then there isn’t anything stopping men from consummating their marriages to prepubescent girls.

tyrannicalmanager

pseudo-intellectual
Do you mind providing evidence for that claim? Bcs if there isn’t any evidence for this then there isn’t anything stopping men from consummating their marriages to prepubescent girls.
the prophet waited 3 years for Aisha(RA) to hit puberty.

Barni

⚠️ EPILEPTIC WARNING ⚠️
i mean i think well established that consumation happens after puberty. it's haram to have sex if the person is unable to perform it corectly.
But what is considered “ready”? Not what muslims go by today but what the quran & hadith says.

Garaad diinle

 
This is not an islamic conduct and i've yet to see or hear of such cases. As you're well aware the prophet ﷺ waited until her physical maturity and muslim should follow suit.

Is there evidence for this? Mind you i'm not a scholar i'm just contributing with what i know.
In surat al-nisa verse 6 allah swt say.

وَابْتَلُوا الْيَتَامَىٰ حَتَّىٰ إِذَا بَلَغُوا النِّكَاحَ فَإِنْ آنَسْتُم مِّنْهُمْ رُشْدًا فَادْفَعُوا إِلَيْهِمْ أَمْوَالَهُمْ ۖ وَلَا تَأْكُلُوهَا إِسْرَافًا وَبِدَارًا أَن يَكْبَرُوا ۚ وَمَن كَانَ غَنِيًّا فَلْيَسْتَعْفِفْ ۖ وَمَن كَانَ فَقِيرًا فَلْيَأْكُلْ بِالْمَعْرُوفِ ۚ فَإِذَا دَفَعْتُمْ إِلَيْهِمْ أَمْوَالَهُمْ فَأَشْهِدُوا عَلَيْهِمْ ۚ وَكَفَىٰ بِاللَّهِ حَسِيبًا

Test ˹the competence of˺ the orphans until they reach a marriageable age. Then if you feel they are capable of sound judgment, return their wealth to them. And do not consume it wastefully and hastily before they grow up ˹to demand it˺. If the guardian is well-off, they should not take compensation; but if the guardian is poor, let them take a reasonable provision. When you give orphans back their property, call in witnesses. And sufficient is Allah as a ˹vigilant˺ Reckoner.

Now we focus on حتى إذا بلغوا النكاح. What does it mean? It means until they reach a marriageable age. Here you can see that allah swt establishes that there is an age for marriage in islam but didn't we say that marriage can happen at any age? Yes this verse speaks of consummation age not marriage age. The age of nikah, marriage or in this case the consummation of marriage is translated by ulima in the case of boys when they get a wet dream and in the case of girls when they get their period after which they can consummate the marriage because now they are able to procreate.

Last edited:

Trending