If Ethiopia recognizes SL will that make them vulnerable

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
Will this make them vulnerable to there own problems such as Oromia trying to gain independence ? Each state could potentiallly break off if Ethiopia recognizes Somaliland . Isn't this why countries with their own regions trying to gain independence will never acknowledge foreign nations doing the same thing. China, Spain , Turkey , and Morocco are the ones I can think of from the top of my head wouldn't ethiopia been in this same category?

Definitely. Ethiopia doesn't want to give non-Habesha ethnic groups within their borders any ideas that could threaten national unity.

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
Definitely. Ethiopia doesn't want to give non-Habesha ethnic groups within their borders any ideas that could threaten national unity.

The thing is I wouldn't put it past them if they were able to make a deal with SL . Using berbara port and getting a better a % on Berbera port or something they currently own 19% by recognizing SL they could get some more free shit

Last edited:

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
Somaliland was created during a civil war. I doubt Ethiopia will fall into that severe of a state.

Probably not the same state but near it, ethnic tensions may have died down a bit in Ethiopia but they do exist. It would be a domino effect if one region started a bid for independence especially if SL get's recognized by the administration. I don't think the country is able to handle that kind of problem

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid
Ethiopias recognition holds zero weight its a bottom of the barrel third world country

That's your opinion of them but be serious here if they were to recognize them some countries would do the same thing. Noone wants to be the first country to recognize them it invites unwanted trouble

Tukraq

VIP
That's your opinion of them but be serious here if they were to recognize them some countries would do the same thing. Noone wants to be the first country to recognize them it invites unwanted trouble
theres a lot of "countries" that are recognized by a few lower tier States that dosent mean anything in the grand scheme of things, if it was the UN that would be something

Apollo

VIP
Ethiopias recognition holds zero weight its a bottom of the barrel third world country

:dead:

It is the regional power house and countries like the US and entities like the EU mainly talk to Ethiopia when it comes to Horn of Africa long term foreign policy and not even with Somalia.

Tukraq

VIP
:dead:

It is the regional power house and countries like the US and entities like the EU mainly talk to Ethiopia when it comes to Horn of Africa long term foreign policy and not even with Somalia.
Ethiopia is a total light weight, doubt most Americans even know what it is unlike somalia(id be surprised if the president could point it on the map), the only reason they don't talk to somalia is due to poor current leadership

Apollo

VIP
Ethiopia is a total light weight, doubt most Americans even know what it is unlike somalia(id be surprised if the president could point it on the map), the only reason they don't talk to somalia is due to poor current leadership

Who else is supposed to be heavy weight in the region? Somalia, nope, Eritrea, nope, Djibouti, nope.

Only Ethiopia and Kenya are relatively relevant.

Tukraq

VIP
Who else is supposed to be heavy weight in the region? Somalia, nope, Eritrea, nope, Djibouti, nope.

Only Ethiopia and Kenya are relatively relevant.
only somalia is realistically relevant to the US, and thats just due to location and resources(oil), Kenya has maybe slight tourism, Americans could care less about Ethiopia, somalia is the natural heavy weight of the region but like I said we just have poor leadership currently

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid

Ethiopia isn't a low tier country bro , if this was nambia or Eswatini I'd understand but if they did it first it's a literal greenlight for other nations to do the same thing.

It doesn't matter what the general american population think the same people who couldn't point out ethiopia on the map aren't going to know much on the issue. In the future Somalia may be the country foreign countries talk to first but right now ethiopia holds that crown. Which is why I think it's important to ask what would it take for ethiopia to recognize SL

Apollo

VIP
only somalia is realistically relevant to the US, and thats just due to location and resources(oil), Kenya has maybe slight tourism, Americans could care less about Ethiopia, somalia is the natural heavy weight of the region but like I said we just have poor leadership currently

Average Joe American =/= Foreign Policy experts in DC.

Ethiopia is far more important to the US and the global economy than Somalia is. These are hard facts and not even debatable (total GDP of Ethiopia is ten times larger than Somalia's).

Tukraq

VIP
Ethiopia isn't a low tier country bro , if this was nambia or Eswatini I'd understand but if they did it first it's a literal greenlight for other nations to do the same thing.

It doesn't matter what the general american population think the same people who couldn't point out ethiopia on the map aren't going to know much on the issue. In the future Somalia may be the country foreign countries talk to first but right now ethiopia holds that crown. Which is why I think it's important to ask what would it take for ethiopia to recognize SL
like I said somalia holds far more name recognition than Ethiopia lol this aint even debatable, and like I said its bottom tier remember there gdp per capita is near ours lol were talking about two of the bottom 10 countries here

Apollo

VIP
like I said somalia holds far more name recognition than Ethiopia lol this aint even debatable, and like I said its bottom tier remember there gdp per capita is near ours lol were talking about two of the bottom 10 countries here

GDP per capita is less relevant when it comes to foreign policy relevance than total GDP.

Even though India is a shithole per capita, it is more important to the US than rich but small Switzerland is.

Tukraq

VIP
Average Joe American =/= Foreign Policy experts in DC.

Ethiopia is far more important to the US and the global economy than Somalia is. These are hard facts and not even debatable (total GDP of Ethiopia is ten times larger than Somalia's).
nope location wise somalia is over 100 times more important to the global economy, we can literally choke hold it of our location alone, your comparing it to an insignificant landlocked nation of under 800 gdp per capita lol

Apollo

VIP
nope location wise somalia is over 100 times more important to the global economy, we can literally choke hold it of our location alone, your comparing it to an insignificant landlocked nation of under 800 gdp per capita lol

Subscribe to this channel and follow him to get a better understanding of international relations/geopolitics:

https://www.youtube.com/user/CaspianReport/videos

Have been following him for over a year, trust me GDP per capita is less important.

Tukraq

VIP
GDP per capita is less relevant when it comes to foreign policy relevance than total GDP.

Even though India is a shithole per capita, it is more important to the US than rich but small Switzerland is.
Ethiopia and somalis gdps are so insignificant (several individuals in my city make it look like chump change), that it docent even come on the radar to the US or the world economy, however Somalis location does as it could effect trillions

Medulla

Bah Qabiil Fluid

Ethiopia can use Somalia's instability in it's favor it doesn't matter if it's landlocked it still holds massive influence in the region. Hence why countries go to addis for meetings and peace talks , Somalia hasn't got anything similar SL receiving recognization from them would kickstart everything for them.

Trending

Latest posts