Identity crisis among some

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares what Asians see you as? You tell them you are Somali. If they ask 'where is that?', you say 'Africa'. I cannot think of any reason or situation where I would need to identify myself as a black person. Except maybe those stupid forms that say 'Black African'. Maybe I'll start ticking 'other' and specifying Somali.
What I meant is in the event that the issue is brought up how would you explain that you're not Black? Funnily enough, growing up Somalis in my city were never considered black and I remember one day claiming to be black to have the only cadaan kid in the school laugh and say "You're Somalian, you're not black." :dead:

What has self esteem/identity issues got to do with what's happening in Somalia?

Not much. Self-haters need an cadaan person to tell them how great their country is so they can believe them. The stories of hooyo and aabo are not enough. The fact that we are the largest exporter of livestock in the world is not enough. Waa xoolo.
What I meant is in the event that the issue is brought up how would you explain that you're not Black? Funnily enough, growing up Somalis in my city were never considered black and I remember one day claiming to be black to have the only cadaan kid in the school laugh and say "You're Somalian, you're not black." :dead:

Tell the cadaan kid, he is right. Tell the cadaan kid he is white because he is actually divorced from his real heritage in Europe. He can't speak a lick of German/Irish/whatever so he has to assume his new identity of 'American'. Tell him it is very sad and you hope he can re-connect with his roots soon.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
Well everyone should when it comes to identity, only a dickhead would claim something other than dhiiga Soomaaliyeed that runs through them.

Call them what you will, but as long as Somalia is in the situation it is in, don't expect self haters to disappear. They have a reason to hate their country, and that's because everything associated with it is trash.

I kinda get where hes coming from. We can't even go on holiday back home cause it's not safe enough. When we have an actual peaceful country to call our own we can start to feel proud.

Sixth

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Call them what you will, but as long as Somalia is in the situation it is in, don't expect self haters to disappear. They have a reason to hate their country, and that's because everything associated with it is trash.
The circumstances in Somalia don't dent the pride I have for my country and my people, trash kulaha slide sxb.

I kinda get where hes coming from. We can't even go on holiday back home cause it's not safe enough. When we have an actual peaceful country to call our own we can start to feel proud.
It's safe enough to visit and crip walk all over, don't give the guy excuses.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
@Magan

That's because black has no significance in Africa - it means nothing there. The connotation for the word is invariably different than white and asian (those groups generally have less genetic variances).

Eurocentric terminology is essentially failing and their old monikers have completely new connotations. The irony is the box they created for themselves is the only one that truly fits culturally and genetically.

To me I never saw black as anything beyond African descent (except for America's butchered concepts of race classification which I humbly ignored). I guess in itself that means it should by and large just be replaced with the term "African descent" and not really be used except for colloquially except by those who wish to use it (not sure why they would).

Either way this isn't something for Somalis to worry about. We have as longstanding a history in two continents as a country can have, and the unique position we are in is one we should be proud of. There are some who wish to mitigate our links to the Arab world and other African ethnicities to propagate their own shit but who really cares about that? Somalinimo first and foremost.

By only issue with the blackness thing is Somalis firmly attempting to throw every African under the sun into this category save for themselves discounting their own history and pasts (and even genetic dissimilarities). A tiny minority but they're there nonetheless.

Kanye

CISGENDERED,HETROSEXUAL MALE. PRONOUNS: HE,HIM,HIS
No surprise some people have self esteem or identity issues. Have you seen Somalia before?

I'm not comparing but have you seen how nationalistic Afghans are? And Afghanistan ain't no Hawaii. At least we're violating each other. The west ran a train on their country and they're still shamelessly yelling across the room in Farsi. Nationalism is bullshit but you gotta fake it till you make it sxb. The only reason Somalia is in this position is because our nationalism was just hot air. Nationalism is a tool we need to utilise to compete with the rest of the world rather than each other in the form of qabilism. I don't truly believe Somalis are superior to non-Somalis but I'll shout WE WUZ KINGS off the top of my lungs if it helps even remotely rebuild Somalia. We can't do shit for Somalia if we abandon the only and most obvious link we got to each other.
:yousmart:Major key alert

Kanye

CISGENDERED,HETROSEXUAL MALE. PRONOUNS: HE,HIM,HIS
Fake that pride so your kids won't have to

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Horta some people need a prosperous homeland to feel proud?

My parents and their struggle was more than enough for me.

Cognitivedissonance

A sane man to an insane society must appear insane
Stay WOKE
VIP
Ajnabi Iska dhaaf ee Isaac iyo Hawiye are the enemy & you're out here talking about other people shii kkk

Dhabaal

Part time -Devils Advocate Full time- Anarchist
How does the state of our country do away with your identity?

Many of us do not get that being a citizen of a country or a continent is not the same thing as your race. You can have an American passport, a Somali passport or a British passport-- that is your nationality. Your race, regardless of what your passport color is SOMALI. You could be born on the moon and never seen our beautiful country-- You are a Somali.

First of all that's not true. Second of all it sounds like the weirdest thing to take pride in. Sounds something straight out of a Borat movie :siilaanyolaugh:

Yes, it's true. Yes, it's something to take pride in. You can hand over your somalinimo and embrace the land of baked beans laakin I am proud of our long history of exporting camels, sheep and goats to our Arab and Asian trading partners. There are other things: our bananas, our papaaya, our sought-after (so much so that MNCs steal it) tuna fish. Saaxib your self-hatred is the reason why foreigners can come in and loot our country right under our noses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts