Ideal transport system for Somali cities?

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
The only way this could be viable is if all the Bajaaj vehicles were first banned and their young drivers lured to an Industrial park for new jobs.

Rather than establish a very expensive LRT system costing somewhere in the hundreds of millions, a trambus would be a perfect alternative to a LRT system. The trambus, following a traditional BRT line, would also introduce a new system to a country and population recovering from war; tickets, schedules, bus stops, everything we take for granted in the diaspora;

ECEC14E8-E740-49D6-B72B-EB3D1834CE93.jpeg

AB3E3DAD-6240-4F71-8AE2-EF72BCC9674B.jpeg

A7083FC0-7911-485A-A091-117C117DD89E.jpeg

Three Moons

Dar Es salam Tanzania implemented a transportation system few years back Xamar needs reliable public transportation

Tanzania is impressive, and a good example of the fruits that come with stability and peace. Its funny that once upon a time their presidents were looking up to Somalia when its came to infrastructure projects;

Moon-

Bipolar Express
theres no lanes or traffic lights in somalia and theres no way the driver can see all the way at the back if they brang this in a whole load of accidents would happen

Three Moons

I have noticed in a lot of discussions about the future, some Somalis cannot elevate themselves beyond ‘presentism’. You theorise the construction of a bridge, they will tell you there are no cars going over the river TODAY, so why would they do so after a bridge lol? You theorise placing all of the electric cables in every city into the ground, and they’ll tell you that you can’t because people walk upon that same ground everyday and you’ll inconvenience them. Somalia can’t advance without societal sacrifices.

The title of the thread is pretty obvious that we are in a ‘ideal’ situation with regards to Somalia’s infrastructure and reconstruction, so yes that includes new roads, traffic lights and a new driving license system but I think it’s stupid that every time I want to talk about Wind farms, hydro-dams, transport systems, new ports, etc that are planned with the new funds available to the FGS that I first have to mention Somalia’s ‘current state’ or indulge in the infrastructure version of ‘whataboutism’.

I guess I expected too much.

I have noticed in a lot of discussions about the future, some Somalis cannot elevate themselves beyond ‘presentism’. You theorise the construction of a bridge, they will tell you there are no cars going over the river TODAY, so why would they do so after a bridge lol? You theorise placing all of the electric cables in every city into the ground, and they’ll tell you that you can’t because people walk upon that same ground everyday and you’ll inconvenience them. Somalia can’t advance without societal sacrifices.

The title of the thread is pretty obvious that we are in a ‘ideal’ situation with regards to Somalia’s infrastructure and reconstruction, so yes that includes new roads, traffic lights and a new driving license system but I think it’s stupid that every time I want to talk about Wind farms, hydro-dams, transport systems, new ports, etc that are planned with the new funds available to the FGS that I first have to mention Somalia’s ‘current state’.

I guess I expected too much.
That's why they used to say Ninka ugu il dheerbaa dadka ugu ayaan daran

In the future I think Somalia might have an amazing system because we have more than a 100 years of case studies to pick and choose from for best practices we can avoid all the bs other countries did.

Rather than establish a very expensive LRT system costing somewhere in the hundreds of millions, a trambus would be a perfect alternative to a LRT system. The trambus, following a traditional BRT line, would also introduce a new system to a country and population recovering from war; tickets, schedules, bus stops, everything we take for granted in the diaspora;
Brts are great for developing countries - change one car lane to a reserved bus lane and you have a pretty reliable transit line. Brazil, India, Pakistan all had Brt lines they switched over to metros in the last 20 or so years

Trambuses are the sleeker and more aesthetically pleasing version of the famous articulated buses we use all around North America - they are so fancy in Europe.
1711758850940.png

The only way this could be viable is if all the Bajaaj vehicles were first banned and their young drivers lured to an Industrial park for new jobs.
Bajaaj are the unsung heroes of transport in the cities and towns across Somalia and the Somali region. I hope they never ban it, cheap, reliable and great at dodging potholes (depends on the driver) - Somalia's own little uber with cheaper start up costs

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
@Three Moons the only problem I can see with your proposal is that Somalia's roads are too narrow. Somali cities do not have roads wide enough for two buses and a sidewalk. We will have to make a lot of streets in many cities one way due to this issue as traffic increases or if we implement BRT.

Go to google maps and measure the width of the average city street. Prepare to be disappointed.

@Three Moons the only problem I can see with your proposal is that Somalia's roads are too narrow. Somali cities do not have roads wide enough for two buses and a sidewalk. We will have to make a lot of streets in many cities one way due to this issue as traffic increases or if we implement BRT.

Go to google maps and measure the width of the average city street. Prepare to be disappointed.
I have seen this when I look at the capital, but isn't it because there are many people who have seized the land illegally?

Yami

4th Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Tanzania is impressive, and a good example of the fruits that come with stability and peace. Its funny that once upon a time their presidents were looking up to Somalia when its came to infrastructure projects;

Look at how far they've come. Hopefully we get to see a Somalia like this in our lifetimes

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
All these infrastructure ideas are impossible in a country that isn't politically stable and lacks security. Economic development can only happen when the country is politically stable, no more unpredictable leaders with to much power and all power should be with the institution, the rule of law being superior not personal or clan interest, and all policies being generated for the well being of the masses not the few and a system and stakeholders discussing policies and law using proof and is evidence based not personalities or good will of politicians nor give me faith nonsense of Islamist or other clan or foreign interest groups.

Till the conditions of political stability and good governance plus a system based on the rule of law are there I doubt any development is possible and only humanitarian aid will continue because any nation who hasn't done such state craft and their system relies on fallible human elements, personalities, interest groups, and personal interest, bribes it shall remain unstable for any economic investment, those primitive systems are either in a security disaster or on the verge of it. Their essentially what we call in Australia a banana republic or kangaroo states.

Dr Osman promotes a system grounded in evidence based policies(proof it has benefits for the mass not the few) and the subsequent rule of law that all must live under, enforce, protect and finally promote to all citizens.

New York James GIF by GIPHY News

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Adigo xaar dhex fadhiyo you shouldn't discuss economic development dadka way kula yaabayan 😲

Horta ka hadla maxaa idin fadhsiiye 33 sano failed state xaar(soul searching, reconciliation not ignoring or denial) Iyo sidi aad ugu bixi lahayd(reconciliation, political stability and settlement, and the rule of law with good governance) not economic development. That only comes after you get out of the amni xumo, plus the shit and sewage your in for 33 years.

I personally gave up on Somalia after Abdillahi Yusuf govt resigned in 2009, waxan uu Soo jeestay dadkayga Iyo dhulkayga(PL FIRST) cause you can't help others if you don't start in your own backyard and I hope all Somalis focus first dhulkiina Iyo dadkaga not things outside your control. It's easier to resolve national issues if ppl see your land is moving forward but noone will listen to your national mumbo jumbo voodoo politics when we see your clan homeland is fourth world.

Oh dam do some ppl hate my af naareed cause I burn ppl to pieces

Fire Breathing GIF

Last edited:
All these infrastructure ideas are impossible in a country that isn't politically stable and lacks security. Economic development can only happen when the country is politically stable, no more unpredictable leaders with to much power and all power should be with the institution, the rule of law being superior not personal or clan interest, and all policies being generated for the well being of the masses not the few and a system and stakeholders discussing policies and law using proof and is evidence based not personalities or good will of politicians nor give me faith nonsense of Islamist or other clan or foreign interest groups.

Till the conditions of political stability and good governance plus a system based on the rule of law are there I doubt any development is possible and only humanitarian aid will continue because any nation who hasn't done such state craft and their system relies on fallible human elements, personalities, interest groups, and personal interest, bribes it shall remain unstable for any economic investment, those primitive systems are either in a security disaster or on the verge of it. Their essentially what we call in Australia a banana republic or kangaroo states.

Dr Osman promotes a system grounded in evidence based policies(proof it has benefits for the mass not the few) and the subsequent rule of law that all must live under, enforce, protect and finally promote to all citizens.

New York James GIF by GIPHY News

Nothing wrong with planning in advance. This isn't an Either Or situation.

Policy proposals being put to the Somali people is a welcome development from 'anoo reer hebel ah ii taageera'

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Nothing wrong with planning in advance. This isn't an Either Or situation.

Policy proposals being put to the Somali people is a welcome development from 'anoo reer hebel ah ii taageera'

Thate very true we came a long way from 90s warlord and clan era but we did slip into the Islamist era since 2006 till now of give me faith politics lol yet we know faith is unknown and invisible and heck noone knows if their own faith will be accepted by Allah so asking for politics to be grounded on deen makes ppl laugh.

Yes we are discussing policies which is progress from the dark 90s and early 2000s clan and Islamist policies lol but there is no doubt even in today politics that the personal interests of the president of the day plays a major role influencing policies and over riding the parliament institutional independence as its an equal organ to the govt. Thats what we call a kangaroo state as policies are being fuelled due to re relection or extension stunt of the sitting president.

Good policy is evidence based which is policy that can be proven to benefit the many not the personal interest of the sitting president re election or extension stunt or an interest group(clan or islamists)