I think my father may be......

so my father has a pretty dark complexion and I've noticed he constantly brings up colour randomly. Like it's absurd how much he brings it up and I genuinely think he's ashamed of being dark

I remember once we were talking about my step-mom picking up her kids from her friends house and my father went to go pick them up and he stumbled across friends of my step-mom two of which who were sisters and he was telling me how dark one of them were in comparison to the other mid convo out of seemingly nowhere which confused me but I kept it to myself-another instance is when he constantly talks about how light my grandfather and great grandfather are and always brings it up and just so many instances has me thinking if he's ashamed of being dark he's always talking about how bad bleaching is and how you should be proud about the skin allah gave but from the way I don't think he's proud of it in any way

My father is in his 50s and is very old and was alive during the reign of Siad Barre and told me that Siad Barre used to visit schools across Somalia to speak to the children and he visited my father's school and the first thing my father tells me when he saw him irl is his complexion saying it was brown. This completely threw me off and only further proved my suspicions

A few months ago I confirmed everything after asking him a series of questions under the guise of a game

so my maternal grandfather from my mother's side who was known to be very handsome and had a dark brown complexion I compared him to various uncles and male members of my family and asked my dad who he thought was more better-looking and then every single time my father would say my maternal grandfather until we got both of his father and which he would say his father were better looking and when I asked him why he says because they're lighter 💀 💀

So yh it seems my father is very insecure about his complexion and proudly flaunts my grandfather's lighter skin tones as a way to cope.

What do you guys think?

No offense but a man being concerned about his skin tone feels very un-Somali
Yh It's strange and at first I was very ashamed because I was lighter than my dad but darker than my grandfathers and my dad would say small microaggression and I would just overthink to oblivion

It's strange tho since before my mother bleached she was fairly dark-brown complexion kinda close to my complexion and he chose her to be his wife until they separated but my step-mom on the other hand is very very cad almost arab looking and I think my father could've potentially chosen her due to this but I could be wrong

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Its unspoken but hella darkskin guys are insecure about their skintone, can confirm as a darkskin. Alhamdulillah I have never felt that way but seen guys who do. Its sad man.

Just tell your dad that everyone should be happy the way Allah SWT created them. Of course not directly to him but indirectly next time he brings up the skintone talk.

Yeah he clearly lacks testosterone if he thinks light skin is superior. My sister is the lightest Somali you would see but I am the darkest Somali you would see..

so my father has a pretty dark complexion and I've noticed he constantly brings up colour randomly. Like it's absurd how much he brings it up and I genuinely think he's ashamed of being dark

I remember once we were talking about my step-mom picking up her kids from her friends house and my father went to go pick them up and he stumbled across friends of my step-mom two of which who were sisters and he was telling me how dark one of them were in comparison to the other mid convo out of seemingly nowhere which confused me but I kept it to myself-another instance is when he constantly talks about how light my grandfather and great grandfather are and always brings it up and just so many instances has me thinking if he's ashamed of being dark he's always talking about how bad bleaching is and how you should be proud about the skin allah gave but from the way I don't think he's proud of it in any way

My father is in his 50s and is very old and was alive during the reign of Siad Barre and told me that Siad Barre used to visit schools across Somalia to speak to the children and he visited my father's school and the first thing my father tells me when he saw him irl is his complexion saying it was brown. This completely threw me off and only further proved my suspicions

A few months ago I confirmed everything after asking him a series of questions under the guise of a game

so my maternal grandfather from my mother's side who was known to be very handsome and had a dark brown complexion I compared him to various uncles and male members of my family and asked my dad who he thought was more better-looking and then every single time my father would say my maternal grandfather until we got both of his father and which he would say his father were better looking and when I asked him why he says because they're lighter 💀 💀

So yh it seems my father is very insecure about his complexion and proudly flaunts my grandfather's lighter skin tones as a way to cope.

What do you guys think?
My dad cun was lightskin but one he’s deathbed legit said my sister was getting darker he never totalled about skin once before that funny man ❤️

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Somalis tend to hate their features, every time my mum sees me not getting haircuts she calls me timo Madow even tho my hair is 3b
Lets not be hasty with generalisations, vast majority of somalis are working day to day to be worried about their features/skintone. While this problem surely exist, its not something the vast majority of our people have the luxury to think about.

What do you guys think?
It's funny when this happens the guy Mary's a light skinned woman. So is you mother light skin? Dad is dark but my mom is Arab complexion.

Weird that your father is so obsessed with skin tone, considering that he grew up in the 60/70s. Anyways, don’t let his insecurity get to you.

Trending

Latest posts