I need your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m currently in a wonderful predicament, where I have the option to pick career changing choices.

1) To teach abroad SE Asia
Or
2) I’ve been offer to co-own and direct a potential business which is really needed in today’s market, will be up and running a a couple and months.

Which means I will be broke for a while BUT IT CAN WORK

What would you do?

In the meantime you can work at McDonalds, hmm I'm not sure about being a co-owner? And sometimes there can be fall outs or it just won't work, I'm not trying to jinx you abaayo but teaching abroad makes good money and you would be stable. Being in another country might be difficult and most of the countries in South east Asia are pretty dangerous but then again you get to travel and experience something new. Could you not teach abroad in some other place like Korea or Japan ? Personally I would go with the teaching abroad but the two things you mentioned are completely different from each other I'm not sure which one would compliment you.

Which one are you leaning towards?

I used to watch a British Somali girl teaching in the UAE. She has a youtube channel. She packed up and left after a while. She could not cope with the major differences in the way of life and the different expectation of the curriculum. Hard choice to make but go with your best option.

I used to watch a British Somali girl teaching in the UAE. She has a youtube channel. She packed up and left after a while. She could not cope with the major differences in the way of life and the different expectation of the curriculum. Hard choice to make but go with your best option.

Probably was too conservative for her

In fact, this business is connection to the field I major in. Plus the teaching job is also in that field.

My mind is telling me to go for the adventure of making the business work. But I feel as if I’m gonna miss out on this opportunity to teach and travel.

However, I got to be realistic and take this opportunity to actually start this business. I am apprehensive about it. But I guess I gotta take the jump and become a business owner. I just hate the feeling of being broke, but once the ball starts rolling, I will start to see income.

Established business owner by 30? Or teaching abroad on a beautiful island and working for someone....

I’m currently in a wonderful predicament, where I have the option to pick career changing choices.

Or
2) I’ve been offer to co-own and direct a potential business which is really needed in today’s market, will be up and running a a couple and months.

What would you do?
Go with the Business it’s like Apps you never know what will happen

Or

What would you do?

You haven't given much information on either the business model or your track record in this field or even business, if it's your first time, there is a 95% chance you will fail which is normal, majority of startup fail and even those that don't can take around 1-3 years to make money on average, you have to keep this in the back of your mind, you will likely require additional funding depending what it is that you are doing which could be another stumbling block.

To have any chance of making it successful it's a 24/7 Job, to put this into perspective it's like a double teaching shift every day, you have to ask yourself if you can handle this sustained pressure over a long period of time while being broke with a high likelihood you will fail since it's your first experience

The fact that your debilitating over this tells me you don't have that necessary fire power in your gut that will see your through this, therefore my advice to you is to go with the teaching abroad especially if they are paying you decent money for it relative to the cost of living in that place.

If you strictly budget depending on how much your getting paid you can easily put away $1000 a month if not more using the average salary they pay teachers abroad, there is no investment that you can ever make in this world that leads to a sustained $1000 monthly returns

This will open up doors for you to invest with other like minded people while letting others do the heavy lifting (running the business) as opposed to you doing this yourself, you will also save yourself from the fast ageing process associated with this type of work which is high pressure, high stress.

I worked in such an environment before and I began to age very quickly whilst gaining a tremendous amount of weight until an illness forced me to quit and I quickly reversed it all while swearing an oath to never partake in such a thing again.

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
You might gain some skills and connections from the teaching job. :cosbyhmm:

But go with the one you're most excited about.

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
Huuno, this is the last place you should come for advice, especially life-changing decision such as this. Consult with people that know you personally and professionally.

Huuno, this is the last place you should come for advice, especially life-changing decision such as this. Consult with people that know you personally and professionally.

, I appreciate your sincere advice. My family have given me there opinion. However, I honestly believe non bias opinions and advice is something which I take seriously. It may not sway my decision, however I do know the that certainty of anonymity and the opinions that do come with it are from neutral grounds. If I was naive I would have detailed my entire situation, nonetheless the lack of clarity will help create a wider non bias picture.

Sometimes I like to see the wider picture of things before I make a detailed choice. I have to remain ethical and logical throughout the process.

thank you all!!

Transparent

cismaan maxamuud
I would recommend that you go through with the business idea, if you believe it has the potential to generate profit.If you go to SE Asia you will be condemned to a life of working for others(institutionalised slavery), see how the business plan goes and in the meantime try to be as resourceful as possible as you will have to make some serious financial sacrifices in order for it to work.At the end of the day,you can always come back to teaching as a backup,inshallah everything works out.
All the best sis,good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.