I have questions about the Arab identity

1. Do Muslim Arabic immigrants from the Middle East get automatic citizenship in Somalia?
2. Can an Arab person that born in Somalia hold any political positions or the title of an elder in a qabil ?
3. Other Africans told that Somalia simps for the Middle East, so are they treated very well there ? Like how that one Chinese dude became a chief in a Nigerian village
4. Is it true most Arab-Somalis live on the coastline of Somalia?

Just cuz they are muslim doesnt mean somali goverment should give automatic citizenship to arabs doesnt make no sense when somali ppl goto arab countries they dont give somali ppl automtic citizenship
And somali ppl shouldnt allow non somali to be in politics and goverment position whether they arabs or non arabs

Last edited:

Based

VIP
Lol. We are not arabs and they are not us. They have no say in Somali politics and they mostly live in the shadows

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Somali Arabs in Somalia are community represented in the 4.5 system of Somali politics.

They comprise of migrants that came either during the pre-colonial or colonial period. Those that arrived pre-colonisation are Somali in all but qabiil really whereas those that came in the 20th century may look different to your average Somali and will probably speak Arabic.

There are communities all over Somalia. Mogadishu and Galkacyo are two cities I know with strong communities.

Somalia is a deeply clan based society, therefore those that do not belong to a native Somali tribe will not be able to hold any important political positions. T

Coastal Somali cities were historically major trading hubs, many Arabs and Indians would flock to those areas to trade and eventually settle. Reer Xamar Somalis are a mixture of Omani, Yemeni and South Asians who came hundreds of years ago to trade and many eventually settled and married into local Somali families.

I think reer Xamar, Barwaani and Somali bantu families should definitely be allowed to be part in Somali politics. Any Somali living in the West who disagrees is a hypocrite. Somalis are now taking part in the politics of the Western Societies they live in, despite only living in Europe or America three generations at most, whilst many Reer Xamars and Bantus have been in the country for at least 300 years!

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
Somalia is a deeply clan based society, therefore those that do not belong to a native Somali tribe will not be able to hold any important political positions. T

Coastal Somali cities were historically major trading hubs, many Arabs and Indians would flock to those areas to trade and eventually settle. Reer Xamar Somalis are a mixture of Omani, Yemeni and South Asians who came hundreds of years ago to trade and many eventually settled and married into local Somali families.

I think reer Xamar, Barwaani and Somali bantu families should definitely be allowed to be part in Somali politics. Any Somali living in the West who disagrees is a hypocrite. Somalis are now taking part in the politics of the Western Societies they live in, despite only living in Europe or America three generations at most, whilst many Reer Xamars and Bantus have been in the country for at least 300 years!
The last part is a disaster. All we got was Ilhan Omar the Yahudi hater:jcoleno:

Doesn’t the Darood clan claim Arabic lineage or is just a small sub-fringe minority? What’s the with Yibir ? Are they Jewish and why can’t they marry into most qabils ?

My dad’s explanation is that Arabs are our distant cousins and we share a common ancestors. But he’s kinda biased because 1. He’s half Berber 2. Our Somali kin speaks Arabic as a second language and the original surname is also Arabic.
I’ve heard that one of the stereotypes that other Africans, including Somalis that Berbers are simps for Arabs.

Doesn’t the Darood clan claim Arabic lineage or is just a small sub-fringe minority? What’s the with Yibir ? Are they Jewish and why can’t they marry into most qabils ?
Yes, traditionally both Darood and Isaaq both claim Arab origin. One from Iraq and the other Yemen. They claim the patriarch of their qabil was Arab, whilst the mothers were ethnic Somalis of the Somali Diir clan.

What is hilarious is that the same people that peddle that idea are the same ones that scream that children with Somali mothers shouldn't claim their Somali heritage.

There is no proof that the Yabir is of Jewish/Hebrew origin. I reckon, this was something made up to justify the discrimination. Yabir have an interesting history as there are accounts that claim that in the Middle ages, they were in power, so it will be interesting to found out how their position in society changed.

Last edited:
Also, can a half Arabic/Somali that’s born in the country be considered a natural citizen? If so, does whether their mum or dad was Somali and which qabil they’re Somali lineage is from factor into it?

The relationship between Arabs and Berbers is very weird and complicated. It’s varies a little depending on which Berber tribe and North African country.

The last part is a disaster. All we got was Ilhan Omar the Yahudi hater:jcoleno:
I disagree because Somalis are HEAVILY unrepresented in American government and the USA completing ignoring the history of Somali Americans. Politicians like Omar and that one Somali Christian Right wing lady ( I forgot her name), are puppet leaders.

Trending

Latest posts