I feel so out of place in Somalia…

I went to see family on my paternal side because I’ve been extremely down in America..

I came here two days ago and I haven’t even left the house yet, no one has came to see me, and I was told to leave the house myself to go visit people. Is that normal? I also have a really bad cold since I arrived.

I feel so out of my element, I came here broke with a not so good reputation. I don’t care about the gossiping but it’s super isolating, I’m in my mid 20s and since I arrived none of my immediate relatives have came to see me and idk what to do here.

Having to live here for a few months sounds like hell, what was I thinking? 🤦🏾‍♀️

Any advice on how to make the most of my trip?How to behave? How to carry myself?
This would be a great opportunity to look at what they are lacking on your region that you can provide. since your gone be there for few months you can create certain movement in the community to request for help for children education. try to figur out what amount of children attend school and what amount dont and try to address the reason why these children are not in school or try to see if it financial problem and then deal with the communit leadership or goverment to help all children because education is a human right problem that should be address. also avoid qabil problems

Last edited:
I would cut your trip short and head back to the US to face the problems you have head on. People in Somalia don’t care to interact with anyone from west unless there’s money involved. Maybe visit again when your money situation is better.

You can’t go back to Somalia from the west empty handed tbh..relatives are expecting money when you show up bc they think westerners are all rich

The cold reception is probably because you didn’t come with anything. Because they should have invited you over for afur at least. I would suggest going back to America sooner if it continues to be like that

You can’t go back to Somalia from the west empty handed tbh..relatives are expecting money when you show up bc they think westerners are all rich

The cold reception is probably because you didn’t come with anything. Because they should have invited you over for afur at least. I would suggest going back to America sooner if it continues to be like that
I was told it’s better to come empty handed so people don’t assume your rich…

And why would I give money to people I just met? How much would I give them? I had a cousin who came here and he never paid anyone anything… I’ve never met or heard of most of the people..

And why would I give money to people I just met? How much would I give them? I had a cousin who came here and he never paid anyone anything… I’ve never met or heard of most of the people..
Doesn’t matter if you’ve never heard of them. The assumption is you have money and relative believe you’re obligated to share at least some of it. They’re all parasites but unfortunately that’s how the culture is.

I went to see family on my paternal side because I’ve been extremely down in America..

I came here two days ago and I haven’t even left the house yet, no one has came to see me, and I was told to leave the house myself to go visit people. Is that normal? I also have a really bad cold since I arrived.

I feel so out of my element, I came here broke with a not so good reputation. I don’t care about the gossiping but it’s super isolating, I’m in my mid 20s and since I arrived none of my immediate relatives have came to see me and idk what to do here.

Having to live here for a few months sounds like hell, what was I thinking? 🤦🏾‍♀️

Any advice on how to make the most of my trip?How to behave? How to carry myself?
Enjoy your time there sis, work on your mental health and take a break from your worldly problems. Find yourself so to speak, your relatives will come around inshaAllah, and if they don’t well it’s their loss isn’t it. Go on adventures and see your beautiful nation up close and personal, I’m envious of you mashaAllah. Always wanted to go and visit my home land.

It depends with u family though some pple are wel of and do good work.
Also are u in xamar i just came end of march i been going to diferent places. Also when u are young its u who should go and visit older relatives. I have been doing that also.
It depends where u live in xamar specialy if uare hawiye majority pple here are doing okey they live middleclass lifstyle i cant speak for other regions. Also it depends u culture of u clan 🤣🤣🤣. I am murusade we dont have this culture of expecting to take money away from relative unless its u sibilings or uncle or aunts that is it anything beyond that we dont do it i told u that is murusade culture . Again it depends with the clan or region u live in.

You can always call me,I've come from the west to live here for a while 💕💕

Bro it depends with the family. So if u imediate family are not doing wel fincialy yes incase they are poor.
The well off lot usually tend to be the worse in terms of hustling you. I've been in Mogadishu for about a month now, my dad told me to give this uncle that I don't even know 50 usd, I thought let me give him a 100 instead, wallahi I kid you not, this Oday looked at me like I killed his children, and has the audacity to say "oo ma baabur raaca ka dhigana", I was flabbergasted, fuming. Mind you he lives less than a mile away from me. I told him adeer keen I'll EVC it to you and that was the last I heard/seen him.

The well off lot usually tend to be the worse in terms of hustling you. I've been in Mogadishu for about a month now, my dad told me to give this uncle that I don't even know 50 usd, I thought let me give him a 100 instead, wallahi I kid you not, this Oday looked at me like I killed his children, and has the audacity to say "oo ma baabur raaca ka dhigana", I was flabbergasted, fuming. Mind you he lives less than a mile away from me. I told him adeer keen I'll EVC it to you and that was the last I heard/seen him.
Again the problem is this which uncle is it u fathers brother or a random uncle . If its a random uncle why give him money its u the problem wah. If its u fathers brother than he is something off usualy typical somali culture u respect u nephew or nieces imo .
also as i said here in xamar diferent clans are diferent when it comes to money as i even said earlier we murisade only give money if its imediate family like sibilings u fathers sibilings ir that of u mothers sibilings that is it we stop it. Sometimes nieces and nephews we stop again murusades dont have that culture pple usualy say we are xaasid clan walhi becos we are strict with giving money i cannot speak for other hawiye clans every clan difers walal.

Kkk bro again this is weired as f*ck i
Again as i said it depends with clan beco i am shocked when u said its the well of that huslte u the most 🤣🤣.
Bro i am not been tribalistic bro but realitt as u told we murusade are too arogant of pple its just deep in our nature as in we are to arogant to ask pple for money specialy some one has already has good income

Again the problem is this which uncle is it u fathers brother or a random uncle . If its a random uncle why give him money its u the problem wah. If its u fathers brother than he is something off usualy typical somali culture u respect u nephew or nieces imo .
also as i said here in xamar diferent clans are diferent when it comes to money as i even said earlier we murisade only give money if its imediate family like sibilings u fathers sibilings ir that of u mothers sibilings that is it we stop it. Sometimes nieces and nephews we stop again murusades dont have that culture pple usualy say we are xaasid clan walhi becos we are strict with giving money i cannot speak for other hawiye clans every clan difers walal.
He's dad's first cousin. War I used to get annoyed back in 2020, hada I'm used to it, I tell them to piss off wallahi. Not sure about the qabiil part.

Also when i want working i didnt even ask my sibilings for money im
He's dad's first cousin. War I used to get annoyed back in 2020, hada I'm used to it, I tell them to piss off wallahi. Not sure about the qabiil part.

What i u qabil though just curious are u abgal or what. Hg or xawadle.
Also if its u fathers first cousin that is distant relative wah 🤣🤣.
No need to give only u fathers sibilings that is it .
Bro i am glad my grandfather had 13kids my cousins and relatives are more than 140 walhi i ma not joking yet most of them are fincialy doing wel they are educated and hustle well rarely anyone bothers us imo again it dpends with the family also clan becos of culture

Also when i want working i didnt even ask my sibilings for money im

What i u qabil though just curious are u abgal or what. Hg or xawadle.
Also if its u fathers first cousin that is distant relative wah 🤣🤣.
No need to give only u fathers sibilings that is it .
Bro i am glad my grandfather had 13kids my cousins and relatives are more than 140 walhi i ma not joking yet most of them are fincialy doing wel they are educated and hustle well rarely anyone bothers us imo again it dpends with the family also clan becos of culture
I live in Barmudo, and the DC of this borough is a close relative of mine.

Trending