I feel so out of place in Somalia…

I went to see family on my paternal side because I’ve been extremely down in America..

I came here two days ago and I haven’t even left the house yet, no one has came to see me, and I was told to leave the house myself to go visit people. Is that normal? I also have a really bad cold since I arrived.

I feel so out of my element, I came here broke with a not so good reputation. I don’t care about the gossiping but it’s super isolating, I’m in my mid 20s and since I arrived none of my immediate relatives have came to see me and idk what to do here.

Having to live here for a few months sounds like hell, what was I thinking? 🤦🏾‍♀️

Any advice on how to make the most of my trip?How to behave? How to carry myself?

The problem with visiting them is that they'll probably expect a shit ton of presents since westerner = infinite money supply in their minds
nah the thing is they know I’m broke and not doing anything, let’s just say I ranted about my shitty life to a relative and now everyone here knows about me lol

The reason why their not really being very welcoming I think is either cause I’m not a man or I don’t have any money and am a loser back home

I went to see family on my paternal side because I’ve been extremely down in America..

I came here two days ago and I haven’t even left the house yet, no one has came to see me, and I was told to leave the house myself to go visit people. Is that normal? I also have a really bad cold since I arrived.

I feel so out of my element, I came here broke with a not so good reputation. I don’t care about the gossiping but it’s super isolating, I’m in my mid 20s and since I arrived none of my immediate relatives have came to see me and idk what to do here.

Having to live here for a few months sounds like hell, what was I thinking? 🤦🏾‍♀️

Any advice on how to make the most of my trip?How to behave? How to carry myself?
Try going outside inbetween dhuhr and casr. There is usually no one outside and you can get the most Vitamin D from the sun

Nin123

Patriarchy is from Allah
VIP

Hhhm 33 yrs old?
IMG_1291.jpeg

Why do you have a bad reputation if I may ask

It’s the end of Ramadan I’m guessing people are quite busy, it’ll hopefully get better come eid time. In the meantime enjoy the weather, organic food and free time. Might be the last time in your life where there’s not much to do. Enjoy every moment.

Nothing bad or inappropriate.. I just ranted to the wrong relative about life problems lol
Yeah somalis are very poor at discretion, whatever you expect to be held in respect, is damn near never going to be kept a secret. If I was you I'd pay them no mind, don't expect any sort of favour from people that hold you in no regard. Kalsooni is a sii, in fact don't even be down

I felt the exact opposite of you. I recently went back for the first time. I left when I was 6,27 years ago. I never felt the sense of ease and belonging like I have never felt before .of course there was a bit of culture shock for the first couple of days, but after that, I belong there. I loved it so much I’m planning my exit strategy now to move back permanently

Where are you at Somalia? I mean region or city? Aren't there any relatives your age who can show you around? , why don't go explore the city and have a good time if security is okay of course.. See it as an experience.

Then he start to grab his am 47 on you daring you to repeat what you said to him
Bro this never happens what's worse is these checkpoint guys in between city's they just be starting random conversation in the hopes of getting money they always end it with waa jummah ii soo ducey so I bless them up with a couple of dollars for their shaax/khat money and go on with my journey.

It may be because it’s Ramadan/Eid time maybe just go with a family member to make it less awkward the last time I went to Africa I was 17.

Latest posts