I dont care what a random Somali does

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to have a collectivist mentality and hated seeing Somalis doing things that I deemed inappropriate. However I dont care anymore. Although I am a Somali I am also an individual and outside of my family and friends, I couldnt care less what a random Somali does. Millions of Somalis are now living in the West and some will choose to do things that our community dissaproves of, thats their life and they have the right do to whatever they want
Some of you guys are too stuck in this collectivist mentality and care too much about “reputation”. Who the hell cares what others think of us. Live your own life

Keeysan

The humble one
Maybe they’re just trying to cap it a bit. I mean, all the mysterious folks could come out the closet right:browtf:

I really don't understand why you would care for other people but yourself. I was born alone, and I will die alone.
godfather111.gif

Yh, but most ppl tend to care about stuff like that because whether they like it or not, the actions of the collective they belong may end up reflecting negatively upon them as an individual (and thus, have the potential to unfairly impact their lives). That's the main reason why so many tight knit communities tend to police eachother. Reputation.

Yh, but most ppl tend to care about stuff like that because whether they like it or not, the actions of the collective they belong may end up reflecting negatively upon them as an individual (and thus, have the potential to unfairly impact their lives). That's the main reason why so many tight knit communities tend to police eachother. Reputation.
Reputation doesnt matter as much as some of you think it does. Also our reputation is already terrible, cant get much worse

Reputation doesnt matter as much as some of you think it does. Also our reputation is already terrible, cant get much worse
I agree that ppl should just live their own lives rather than dictating to others how live theirs, but I also think it's naive to suggest reputation doesn't have much bearing. I don't understand why ppl have to choose extremes of either side. Ideally, yh, it'd be great if each person only represented themselves but that's not the reality-- ppl will make all sorts of generalizations. Until then, I don't see how being considerate of the way your actions (in public, atleast) could reflect on others of your member group is such a bad thing.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I have a completely different set of standards for others than I do for myself.

I prefer to focus on things that I can control - myself. Other people are outside of that influence.
:farmajoyaab: But if I could I would get them chipped.

I agree that ppl should just live their own lives rather than dictating to others how live theirs, but I also think it's naive to suggest reputation doesn't have much bearing. I don't understand why ppl have to choose extremes of either side. Ideally, yh, it'd be great if each person only represented themselves but that's not the reality-- ppl will make all sorts of generalizations. Until then, I don't see how being considerate of the way your actions (in public, atleast) could reflect on others of your member group is such a bad thing.
Somalis reputation has already been made in the eyes of the world along time ago. Even if all Somalis living in the West were perfect educated citizens there would still be hatred thrown towards us. Ofcourse generalizations exist but they wont have as much impact on your life as much as you think they will. And the things Somalis on here complain about (xalimos marrying reverts, drinking, etc) literally have no impact on you if you’re not the one doing it

Somalis reputation has already been made in the eyes of the world along time ago. Even if all Somalis living in the West were perfect educated citizens there would still be hatred thrown towards us. Ofcourse generalizations exist but they wont have as much impact on your life as much as you think they will. And the things Somalis on here complain about (xalimos marrying reverts, drinking, etc) literally have no impact on you if you’re not the one doing it
Maybe, but that doesn't mean it's a waste of effort to attempt to improve it. Ofc, if something that's out of your hands then it is what it is-- it just seemed to me your statements were coming from a place of frustration rather than actually believing in what you're saying. Idk maybe my assumptions are wrong. Those things may not have impact in the West, it may in other parts of the diaspora though.

Maybe, but that doesn't mean it's a waste of effort to attempt to improve it. Ofc, if something that's out of your hands then it is what it is-- it just seemed to me your statements were coming from a place of frustration rather than actually believing in what you're saying. Idk maybe my assumptions are wrong. Those things may not have impact in the West, it may in other parts of the diaspora though.
Nope not frusturation just tired of people crying everytime a Somali does something they dissaprove of. Ofcourse when it comes to widespread issuses like gangbanging, single motherhood etc we should work as a community but when it comes to individual Somalis doing things that you morally disagree with (that are not illegal) I dont see a reason to care

Nope not frusturation just tired of people crying everytime a Somali does something they dissaprove of. Ofcourse when it comes to widespread issuses like gangbanging, single motherhood etc we should work as a community but when it comes to individual Somalis doing things that you morally disagree with (that are not illegal) I dont see a reason to care
Ah ok, fair enough. I was just about to ask, by giving up on the concept of collective policing/rules...aren't you kinda distancing yourself from the community and, in turn, any hopes of preserving the culture (in the diaspora)? but it seems like you still believe in moderate community policing of sorts.

I guess my question then, would be: how do prevent this new 'individualism' from getting to a point where the majority of individuals become completely careless about the opinions of elders? Doesn't removing the expectations of collective responsibility from the individual encourage them to see things such as honor and respect as meaningless??

Last edited:
Ah ok, fair enough. I was just about to ask, by giving up on the concept of collective policing/rules...aren't you kinda distancing yourself from the community and, in turn, any hopes of preserving the culture (in the diaspora)? but it seems like you still believe in moderate community policing of sorts.
I would like to preserve the culture but be realistic most Somali youth here are first gen meaning their parents came directly from Somalia yet most can barely speak the language and have already intergraded into western “urban” culture with some remnants of Somali culture. It’s already diluted now imagine 2-3 generations down, its almost impossible that the culture will strongly remain. This happens to every immigrant community they create a culture that is largely the same as their host country with a few influences from their traditional culture. Somalis are no different

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I would like to preserve the culture but be realistic most Somali youth here are first gen meaning their parents came directly from Somalia yet most can barely speak the language and have already intergraded into western “urban” culture with some remnants of Somali culture. It’s already diluted now imagine 2-3 generations down, its almost impossible that the culture will strongly remain. This happens to every immigrant community they create a culture that is largely the same as their host country with a few influences from their traditional culture. Somalis are no different

Actually Generation 1.5 implies you were brought up there. Second generation implies you were born there (like myself).

Let's pretend that culture is static and that people back home aren't constantly changing and aren't influenced by the West by virtue of globalization via the world wide web.

It's a bit grim for my liking, but I can't I say you're not describing the reality I guess, and yh it's common across many immigrant communities. I think most of it comes to down parenting/education and economic status/location (influence of surroundings) anyways. It'd be ideal to find a way to target those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending