I Care for Your family, You care for My family

Excerpt (translated more or less) from one of Farhat Hashmi’s speeches on Marriage (my notes are in brackets).

I have an elder friend who said something really nice. This is very beautiful principle of life that this should be practiced on or can be practiced on then much good can come out of it.

She said “when I got married I told my husband from today onwards my responsibility is to look after your family and your responsibility is to look after my family”. Because of this there was a love between their two families. She took responsibility to give gifts to her in laws. Her husband took on responsibility of giving gifts to her (wife’s) brothers and sisters.

What is going on here? Husband and wife are being considerate to one another. Husband gets very happy when his sisters, brothers, parents and relatives are being taken care of. If any woman wants to have a place in husband’s heart, this is great prescription, that is to be considerate and take care of his family. And have sincere heart when doing so.

Similarly for the wife, she would feel extremely happy that her husband is considerate in dealings and providing gifts towards her brothers, sisters, parents.

You will see when you are giving something to your parents then the husband may see it from a position of mistrust. When the husband is giving to his parents, you (wife) will perhaps be quiet but you may say to yourself ‘oh see, again he is giving away something to them’. And this causes mistrust.

But among yourself if this is possible, its not necessary or that it’s imposed on you but take it as a suggestion. If its possible and husband is cooperative, that you have an agreement between yourself and spouse (that you will take care of each other’s families). This will bring about amiability. Because one’s own family’s happiness does not hinge on just one side of family rather it hinges on good relations with in laws on both sides.

As much as one is able to get along and is considerate to the other rights, then one reaps the benefits through happiness.

Trending