I am not an immigrant.

I am an Expat. This is what I tell to whoever I am dealing with professionally and they raise an aye brow.

Oh Mr Harry, you don't call yourself an Immigrant when you go to work in the States, France or Dubai so why would I?

I love being Somali.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't expat just apply if you're still a citizen of your home country and went abroad to work and only live temporarily like with Somalis in the Gulf states? It doesn't apply to people who have fully settled in the west and even have American, Canadian, British or whatever other citizenship. They're not Somali citizens simply working and living abroad.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't expat just apply if you're still a citizen of your home country and went abroad to work and only live temporarily like with Somalis in the Gulf states? It doesn't apply to people who have fully settled in the west and even have American, Canadian, British or whatever other citizenship. They're not Somali citizens simply working and living abroad.
That is not correct. The word does not take into account your length of stay. If you are fully settled elsewhere than your home country you call your self an Expatriate.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
That is not correct. The word does not take into account your length of stay. If you are fully settled elsewhere than your home country you call your self an Expatriate.

I wasn't referring to length of stay per say. Mainly citizenship. Are you a citizen of Somalia, Djibouti, Kenya or Ethiopia and only one of those states where Somalis live or a citizen of a western country? And do you have any plans to settle down in the motherland in the future? If not for both then I'd say you're an immigrant, my brother.

Regg

Stroking my Australinimo
The term expat is used by Anglos and it always refer to them because it sound less derogatory than immigrant.

I’m sorry but that’s the harsh truth.

I wasn't referring to length of stay per say. Mainly citizenship. Are you a citizen of Somalia, Djibouti, Kenya or Ethiopia and only one of those states where Somalis live or a citizen of a western country? And do you have any plans to settle down in the motherland in the future? If not for both then I'd say you're an immigrant, my brother.
Of course I have plans to settle down back home in the future. Even If I did not though, I am still an Expatriate. Also, a person can have multiple passports and citizenships.

The term expat is used by Anglos and it always refer to them because it sound less derogatory than immigrant.

I’m sorry but that’s the harsh truth.
Oh I apologise if you have misunderstood me. You can't be derogatory to me, it simply not possible.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Of course I have plans to settle down back home in the future. Even If I did not though, I am still an Expatriate. Also, a person can have multiple passports and citizenships.

Take me as an example. I have a Somali passport and have only ever had a Somali passport my entire life. On top of that I've only ever lived in countries no more than 2-4 hours away from Somalia by plane my entire life and spent most of my summers growing up going back home and now as an adult have a house there as well as several business interests and long-term I plan to settle down there. That is my understanding of an expat.

But someone who lives abroad, has something like a British passport and has no plans of fully returning is an immigrant, bro. But you don't necessarily fit that description and kudos to you for wanting to return home long-term. Your country needs you, my brother. Help in its rebuilding. :vncu2n5:

Take me as an example. I have a Somali passport and have only ever had a Somali passport my entire life. On top of that I've only ever lived in countries no more than 2-4 hours away from Somalia by plane my entire life and spent most of my summers growing up going back home and now as an adult have a house there as well as several business interests and long-term I plan to settle down there. That is my understanding of an expat.

But someone who lives abroad, has something like a British passport and has no plans of fully returning is an immigrant, bro. But you don't necessarily fit that description and kudos to you for wanting to return home long-term. Your country needs you, my brother. Help in its rebuilding. :vncu2n5:
So in that case you are also an expat, welcome to the club. An Expat is essentially the same as an Immigrant as they are both looking to work and live in a foreign country for however long they like, no need to complicate matters. The problem is that the term "immigrant" is used for specific groups of people.

Somalia is forever my only real home, no Somali will ever 100% be accepted in the West no matter how much some of them booty lick, self hate and erase their identity to fit in. They are used as points and discarded once they are of no use.

Trending

Latest posts