I am Abdirashid aka SomaliaJunkie -- AMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficialAMA

Verified
Thank you very much team #Somalispot. Really, i am glad to join you for live discussion on the state of infrastructure in Somalia. Something to be proud of forever more. I hope to hear brief questions regarding economic infrastructure from you.

OfficialAMA

Verified
Hi and welcome to somalispot
My first question is what about somalia do you find interesting?
Waaw that sounds amazing, Somalia is always interesting, it in truth interests me in many ways. There's huge progress on ground, especially when it comes to booming construction industry.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Welcome to Somalispot Abdirashid! I'm interested in the tahriib crisis currently plaguing Somali youth. I happen to think the issue is a lot bigger than youth employment. As someone who was born, raised and still resides in the Horn of Africa, what has stopped you from migrating?

OfficialAMA

Verified
i have infrastructure related question -- as an engineer, wat new development do u look forward to the most?
We're having something different in Somalia. Today, engineers have a larger role to play in infrastructure sector. Given the timing of Bossaso airport opening, i feel that we've sustained trajectory and greater momentum than ever before. So the new development, should be more airports, more renovated ports and int'l standard mega projects.

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
How do you feel about HSM requiring journalists in somalia requiring degrees and the general crackdown on 'misinformation'.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
How bad is the sewage/sanitation system in Somalia or is it nonexistent?

Whats up with all the haphazard construction going on without a care in the world for any sort of planning?

OfficialAMA

Verified
Welcome to Somalispot Abdirashid! I'm interested in the tahriib crisis currently plaguing Somali youth. I happen to think the issue is a lot bigger than youth employment. As someone who was born, raised and still resides in the Horn of Africa, what has stopped you from migrating?
It's so funny. I have a lot more blessed privileges in Somalia and East Africa at large. Youth unemployment continuous to push younger generation to economic margins. Now, there still remains a lot of work to be done in this regard. I am sure that what has stopped could be just conscience as big as Somalia. You can attend to same life as in the Diaspora.

We're having something different in Somalia. Today, engineers have a larger role to play in infrastructure sector. Given the timing of Bossaso airport opening, i feel that we've sustained trajectory and greater momentum than ever before. So the new development, should be more airports, more renovated ports and int'l standard mega projects.

is the airport in bossaso completed or is that just one phase? what are the other phases? will be it be to international standards?

OfficialAMA

Verified
How bad is the sewage/sanitation system in Somalia or is it nonexistent?

Whats up with all the haphazard construction going on without a care in the world for any sort of planning?
Certainly, it's in poor state that needs further renovation and expertise. Brain drain in engineering sector is another trend which demands immediate intervention. Needless to say, poor drainage systems contribute to many environmental hazards to-date

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
Welcome to SS br Abdirashid.

Are there any furure projects in places like Eyl? Garacad? Why are coastal cities mostly neglected when it comes infrastructure?

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
It's so funny. I have a lot more blessed privileges in Somalia and East Africa at large. Youth unemployment continuous to push younger generation to economic margins. Now, there still remains a lot of work to be done in this regard. I am sure that what has stopped could be just conscience as big as Somalia. You can attend to same life as in the Diaspora.

Tahriib is expensive and, like you said, there are opportunities available in Somalia and East Africa so what is causing this crisis? Do you think an unrealistic expectation of the west, perpetuated by diaspora during visits to Somalia, is partially responsible for the crisis?

OfficialAMA

Verified
is the airport in bossaso completed or is that just one phase? what are the other phases? will be it be to international standards?
To be fair, first phase of the airport has been completed, followed by airport pavement markings and signage. Bossaso airport has been constructed in conformity with code 4C operations clause. It's already done, meaning it can even accommodate larger passenger planes.

OfficialAMA

Verified
Welcome to SS br Abdirashid.

Are there any furure projects in places like Eyl? Garacad? Why are coastal cities mostly neglected when it comes infrastructure?
Lol they're more of littoral. Actually, Government is actively engaged in such initiatives. In Eyl, progress is underway for the construction of paved road that connects it to Garowe. In Gara'ad similar step was taken, with handsome contribution from pastoral households there.

OfficialAMA

Verified
Tahriib is expensive and, like you said, there are opportunities available in Somalia and East Africa so what is causing this crisis? Do you think an unrealistic expectation of the west, perpetuated by diaspora during visits to Somalia, is partially responsible for the crisis?
True, but in Somalia, the more educated you're, the higher the opportunities of course. We got some of the highest paid jobs including medical and engineering professions. I too see no reason for our youth to depart for Europe. I wish, you could address them on the difference between being in Somalia and being a stranger to another country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending