I’m never calling myself Cushitic Again 😭

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Cushi is n*gger in modern Hebrew and they use it to insult Ethiopian Jews and Afro-Palestinians and Cushite is the ancient equivalent to the greek Aethiopian.
:dwill: :whoa:
I also learned that according to Christians and Jews, Prophet Musa’s wife was a Cushite.
:leon:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The word Cushi or Kushi (Hebrew: כּוּשִׁי Hebrew pronunciation: [kuˈʃi] colloquial: [ˈkuʃi]) is generally used in the Hebrew Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent, equivalent to Greek Αἰθίοψ "Aithíops".

The word is a derivation of Cush (כּוּשׁ‎ Kūš), referring to the ancient Kingdom of Kush which was centered on the Upper Nile and Nubia (modern-day Sudan). Mentioned in the Hebrew Bible, Cushites are considered descendants of Noah's grandson, Cush the son of Ham. In biblical and historical usage, the term "Cushites" (Hamites) refers to individuals of East African origin (Horn of Africa and Sudan).

In contemporary usage, the term can be regarded as an ethnic slur depending on context. Though it has been compared to usage of the term in the United States, this is not an accurate comparison.[1][7][8]Ethiopian migrants to Israel began identifying the term as a slur in the 1990s, at which point most Israelis stopped referring to Ethiopians with the term[citation needed] . However, cushi continued to be used in reference to non-Ethiopian people of African descent. This usage is generally non-derogatory; both Israelis in general and Ethopian migrants in particular use the term in this non-derogatory manner.[1] Whether a particular use of the term is derogatory can also be determined in part based on emphasis. If the first syllable is emphasized (CU-shi), then the usage is more likely derogatory. If the second is emphasized (cu-SHI), then it is less likely to be negative.[7]As the negative uses of the term have become more widely recognized, the general use of the term has decreased.

In 2016, Hasidic singer Mordechai Ben Davidattracted controversy after a video taken at his December 28 concert in Jerusalem, wherein he referred to US President Barack Obama as a kushi, was circulated online

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
it is an example of a word having or getting a new meaning.

Anyway, i don't get the reason behind Somalis adopting the word Cushites and cushitic. You guys got qotiphilia?

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Who cares. They call regular Palestinians who are tanned that. Along with Yeminite Jews. They are anti-colour yet experience skin cancer at the highest rate over there. Ironic considering they were thought to be phenotypically undesirable in Western Europe at one point. Sadly, they were the subject of caricatures where they were portrayed as qumayos and far worse.

The first references to Cush were completely unrelated to its subsequent associations with Africans; the Cushites in the Biblical Table of Nations were Western Asians (Middle-Eastern) populations with comparatively darker complexion.

Musa's wife was a Midianite (Kushan) woman with no links to Africa.

It was only much later on that the term Kushi was applied to Sudanese kingdoms.

Wherever it originated from, its actually weird someone assuming an identity based on fake words circulating in social media, somalis identifying themselves as cush are no different than namibians and Zimbabweans identifying as Wakandans, lets wake up to the reality and be just the somalis we are.

The first references to Cush were completely unrelated to its subsequent associations with Africans; the Cushites in the Biblical Table of Nations were Western Asians (Middle-Eastern) populations with comparatively darker complexion.

Whatever its supposed to mean, its evident that somalis never had anything to do with the cush fairytales, and we will never adopt this Wakanda like fictional identity, let the supposed cushites discuss what it means and its origin

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
Kingdom of Kush conquered the Levant and subjugated the ancient Hebrews. They had to be saved by the Assyrians. A slur can only sting if the ones using it were once your oppressors. They were not, instead they were the victims of men that were of a similar stock as us.

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
Cushi is n*gger in modern Hebrew and they use it to insult Ethiopian Jews and Afro-Palestinians and Cushite is the ancient equivalent to the greek Aethiopian.
I also learned that according to Christians and Jews, Prophet Musa’s wife was a Cushite.

The word Cushi or Kushi (Hebrew: כּוּשִׁי Hebrew pronunciation: [kuˈʃi] colloquial: [ˈkuʃi]) is generally used in the Hebrew Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent, equivalent to Greek Αἰθίοψ "Aithíops".

The word is a derivation of Cush (כּוּשׁ‎ Kūš), referring to the ancient Kingdom of Kush which was centered on the Upper Nile and Nubia (modern-day Sudan). Mentioned in the Hebrew Bible, Cushites are considered descendants of Noah's grandson, Cush the son of Ham. In biblical and historical usage, the term "Cushites" (Hamites) refers to individuals of East African origin (Horn of Africa and Sudan).

In contemporary usage, the term can be regarded as an ethnic slur depending on context. Though it has been compared to usage of the term in the United States, this is not an accurate comparison.[1][7][8]Ethiopian migrants to Israel began identifying the term as a slur in the 1990s, at which point most Israelis stopped referring to Ethiopians with the term[citation needed] . However, cushi continued to be used in reference to non-Ethiopian people of African descent. This usage is generally non-derogatory; both Israelis in general and Ethopian migrants in particular use the term in this non-derogatory manner.[1] Whether a particular use of the term is derogatory can also be determined in part based on emphasis. If the first syllable is emphasized (CU-shi), then the usage is more likely derogatory. If the second is emphasized (cu-SHI), then it is less likely to be negative.[7]As the negative uses of the term have become more widely recognized, the general use of the term has decreased.

In 2016, Hasidic singer Mordechai Ben Davidattracted controversy after a video taken at his December 28 concert in Jerusalem, wherein he referred to US President Barack Obama as a kushi, was circulated online
The Jews took the name cush from the ancient Sudan empire of Kush.
Screenshot_20231030_095947.jpg
Kushite heartland and Kushite Empire of the 25th dynasty circa 700 BCE.jpg

Khaemwaset

VIP
Kingdom of Kush conquered the Levant and subjugated the ancient Hebrews. They had to be saved by the Assyrians. A slur can only sting if the ones using it were once your oppressors. They were not, instead they were the victims of men that were of a similar stock as us.
Fr bro.
W Sudanese for xooging these hooked nose niggas

Isn't prophet Musa's wife the daughter of prophet Shu'eyb?
Nabi Musa came back from Plastine side to liberate the jews from (kushs) Pharaoh's people. They were enslaved and mistreated in Egypt.

Khaemwaset

VIP
I
Isn't prophet Musa's wife the daughter of prophet Shu'eyb?
Nabi Musa came back from Plastine side to liberate the jews from (kushs) Pharaoh's people. They were enslaved and mistreated in Egypt.
Kush/Sudan rules Egypt for a while. But I doubt that the pharaohs at the time were kushitic. Depends on how long ago the time of Musa was.

But the Kushites conquered up to the Levant. The Jews were subjects of Kush at one point.

This is so ignorant. Cushite, as we use it, has never been defined by anything other than what exists in northeast Africa. How is this relevant to us? Why does a falsely used word in an irrelevant language hold the monopoly of a more dominant identity in your worldview? In your mind, it seems you're already placing yourself inferior to Jews.

It's the same type of mindset as, "The Westerner considers me [this], so I am [this]. Because the Westerner's ignorant perception ranks above my actual identity center. Now I am the same people as a bunch of non-related groups that have more differences than between a European person and an Asian, and in the same notion reduced my sense of identity based on insecurities or unprocessed sense of inferiority."

It's that stupid to me. Because in both scenarios, you place your knowledge of yourself as irrelevant. How can you live like that? It's a pathetic existence. You validate the inferiority others impose and help falsely reaffirm it by shaping yourself around their projections instead of asserting your presence as it is non-compromisable.

You have the stronger ground, but you lack confidence, giving it away to other forces so cheaply and unjustifiably. It's wholly unjust. I will call it immoral. To me, it is as if you tell a group of people they have a right to rob you whenever because they are just above you in that regard.

Stop framing this as if we took that word from the Jews and applied it to ourselves.

Ana mocbrion

This is so ignorant. Cushite, as we use it, has never been defined by anything other than what exists in northeast Africa. How is this relevant to us? Why does a falsely used word in an irrelevant language hold the monopoly of a more dominant identity in your worldview? In your mind, it seems you're already placing yourself inferior to Jews.

It's the same type of mindset as, "The Westerner considers me [this], so I am [this]. Because the Westerner's ignorant perception ranks above my actual identity center. Now I am the same people as a bunch of non-related groups that have more differences than between a European person and an Asian, and in the same notion reduced my sense of identity based on insecurities or unprocessed sense of inferiority."

It's that stupid to me. Because in both scenarios, you place your knowledge of yourself as irrelevant. How can you live like that? It's a pathetic existence. You validate the inferiority others impose and help falsely reaffirm it by shaping yourself around their projections instead of asserting your presence as it is non-compromisable.

You have the stronger ground, but you lack confidence, giving it away to other forces so cheaply and unjustifiably. It's wholly unjust. I will call it immoral. To me, it is as if you tell a group of people they have a right to rob you whenever because they are just above you in that regard.

Stop framing this as if we took that word from the Jews and applied it to ourselves.
Isn’t all Cush, Noah etc come from Jews or Torah ?

I’m pretty sure musa saw had two wifes
One from midianite and the other from Africa(idk where )

Correct me if im work

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
Isn’t all Cush, Noah etc come from Jews or Torah ?

The word predates the Torah, and was first mentioned by the Ancient Egyptians in reference to their neighbours (Kush). It would be like saying that Punt comes from the Torah when we know Hatshepsut was a marti in ancient Somalia/Horn aka Punt at-least 1000 years before the creation of that book.

Trending

Latest posts