I’m impressed with the Brits

The Australian government used to offer scholarships to students from Somalia undertaking their post graduate studies, but it destroys the purpose of educating them if they will all apply for asylum after their studies here, therefore, the Australian government devised a plan to educate these students in one of the Australian universities campuses overseas and in particular in Malaysia. They paid for all their expenses. However, the British government has doubled (50 to 100 students) the Somali (from back home) students offered the Chevening scholarships to do their postgraduate studies in Britain. Does anyone know how it works and if these students sign any contracts to return them back to Somalia after their completion of their studies?

XamarWeeaboo

You expected something here didn't you?!?!?
The Australian government used to offer scholarships to students from Somalia undertaking their post graduate studies, but it destroys the purpose of educating them if they will all apply for asylum after their studies here, therefore, the Australian government devised a plan to educate these students in one of the Australian universities campuses overseas and in particular in Malaysia. They paid for all their expenses. However, the British government has doubled (50 to 100 students) the Somali (from back home) students offered the Chevening scholarships to do their postgraduate studies in Britain. Does anyone know how it works and if these students sign any contracts to return them back to Somalia after their completion of their studies?

I think you return to Somalia/country of origin at the end of your studies. However, if you've done an "industrial year", a year in your field of study, and have impresses your employer enough to have them recommend you for a place after graduation, then you'll have to involve both your home and host country and they'll reach a decision after.

Apart from that, I know nothing else, probably some people get a working visa, work there and then apply for citizenship, however this will be very hard from now on as a result of Brexit and the soon to be immigration laws.

@XamarWeeaboo

What’s an “industrial year”? These are all post grad students. Are you in Britain/England?

What about the other European countries, do they offer scholarships to Somalis from back home? I think it will be too difficult to write a thesis in a language you don’t know.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
@XamarWeeaboo

What’s an “industrial year”? These are all post grad students. Are you in Britain/England?

What about the other European countries, do they offer scholarships to Somalis from back home? I think it will be too difficult to write a thesis in a language you don’t know.

Not sure about sponsorships but post graduate education is (mostly) free in Germany (public universities).

You just need to learn the language and get a residence permit.

Permits might be difficult to get but I heard that it's a lot easier if you've already got a conditional offer from a university.

Probably a lot easier for post graduate study.

You just need to have the necessary qualifications but I'm not sure whether they take Somali degrees seriously.

Not sure about sponsorships but post graduate education is (mostly) free in Germany (public universities).

You just need to learn the language and get a residence permit.

Permits might be difficult to get but I heard that it's a lot easier if you've already got a conditional offer from a university.

Probably a lot easier for post graduate study.

You just need to have the necessary qualifications but I'm not sure whether they take Somali degrees seriously.

@RasCanjero

Thanks for the info, but the inception of this thread was a result of reading an article about the British ambassador announcing that his government has doubled the scholarship places for Somali students from Somalia (I don’t know if Somaliland is included) from 50 places to 100 place in 2020. The exams and interviews will be conducted later this year in Somalia. I could be wrong, but I think these places are only reserved for Somalis who live back home who don’t hold western citizenships. We are corrupt and these places could be filled by the children of a corrupt senior official whose children are residing in the West. Does Germany issue such scholarships to these Somalis?

XamarWeeaboo

You expected something here didn't you?!?!?
What’s an “industrial year”?

An "industrial year" is a year that you take off from your degree to get some hands on experience in the field you're studying, essentially a year of work experience. I.e: if you study engineering and do an industrial year, you'll get a job at an engineering company and work there, on minimum wage, and get experience. They'll want a presentation at the end of your year and depending on how the management assess it, they may keep in contact with you and once you graduate hire you.

As for the rest of you questions, I'm sorry but I don't know.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
@RasCanjero

Thanks for the info, but the inception of this thread was a result of reading an article about the British ambassador announcing that his government has doubled the scholarship places for Somali students from Somalia (I don’t know if Somaliland is included) from 50 places to 100 place in 2020. The exams and interviews will be conducted later this year in Somalia. I could be wrong, but I think these places are only reserved for Somalis who live back home who don’t hold western citizenships. We are corrupt and these places could be filled by the children of a corrupt senior official whose children are residing in the West. Does Germany issue such scholarships to these Somalis?

Not that I'm aware of.

Btw it makes sense that British diplomats use these scholarships to bribe officials.

I'm sure if you check it out the list of parents you'll find where the Brits have their influence in Africa and maybe other 3rd world places.