Husbands must inform wives that wives are not obligated to cook and clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cigaal

يا نبي سلام عليك
Q. Is it true that there is agreement amongst the scholars that a woman must cook and clean?

A. Not only is this false, but a husband is required to inform his wife that this is not the case. Furthermore, she is entitled to wages for doing so – if she decides not to do so as an act of charity. Her refusal to do so is not an act of disobedience and he cannot withhold her support if she refuses.

Imam Abu Ishaq al-Shirazi mentioned Al-Muhaddhab:

“A woman is not required obliged to serve her husband by baking, grinding flour, cooking, washing, or any other kind of service, because the marriage contract entails, for her part, only that she let him enjoy her sexually, and she is not obligated to do other than that.”

Note: This is included in Reliance of the Traveller, w45.1.

فصل: ولا يجب عليها خدمته في الخبز والطحن والطبخ والغسل وغيرها من الخدم لأن المعقود عليها من جهتها هو الاستمتاع فلا يلزمها ما سواه.

The Shafii scholar Ali al-Shabramulsi mentions that in a lesson it was asked whether a husband must inform his wife that she is not obligated to serve him by cooking and doing housework as is customarily done.

The gist of the reply is that he must inform her since if she did not know this, she might think that she is required to do so and that she would not still deserve her support if she failed to do so – so she would thus do so under unlawful compulsion.

The aforementioned is included in many of the late hawashi that are used for fatwa, including al-Dumyati’s I’yanat al-Talibin which, today, is standard reading for virtually every Shafii at some point in their studies.

Arabic original:

وقع السؤال في الدرس هل يجب على الرجل إعلام زوجته بأنها لا تجب عليها خدمته بما جرت به العادة من الطبخ والكنس ونحوهما مما جرت به عادتهم أم لا؟ وأجبنا عنه بأن الظاهر الاول لانها إذا لم تعلم بعدم وجوب ذلك ظنت أنه واجب وأنها لا تستحق نفقة ولا كسوة إن لم تفعله فصارت كأنها مكرهة على الفعل

And Allah knows best.

https://musafurber.com/2018/06/26/husband-must-inform-wives-are-not-obligated-to-cook-and-clean/

Cigaal

يا نبي سلام عليك
The Shafiis, most Hanbalis, and some Malikis consider it non-obligatory. Abu Hanifah and Muhammad bin al-Hasan gave this opinion. Ibn Qudamah was certain of it, though he preceded his opinion by saying, “However, it is best that she perform whatever is customary for wives to perform because it is the custom, the situation won’t be right without it, and society won’t function without it.”

It's true. A lot of people don't know this. She can even request money for childcare. I've never heard of the must inform part though.
The Shafiis, most Hanbalis, and some Malikis consider it non-obligatory. Abu Hanifah and Muhammad bin al-Hasan gave this opinion. Ibn Qudamah was certain of it, though he preceded his opinion by saying, “However, it is best that she perform whatever is customary for wives to perform because it is the custom, the situation won’t be right without it, and society won’t function without it.”
Yes custom also plays a part as well. There is a lot of nuance in Islam it's not black and white.

Cigaal

يا نبي سلام عليك
It's true. A lot of people don't know this. She can even request money for childcare. I've never heard of the must inform part though.

Yes custom also plays a part as well. There is a lot of nuance in Islam it's not black and white.
Yes this is also my first time hearing this. Which is why I shared it here

World

VIP

She must request money for looking after her own child?

:chrisfreshhah:

If my wife doesn’t cook and clean tries pulling any of these “I don’t have to do this according to Islam” excuses, then she’s getting hit with a triple talaq. :camby:

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP

Whats the Hanafi standpoint on this?

NotMyL

"You are your best thing"
VIP
So I get to charge for taking care of my own children? Sweet deal.
upload_2019-4-16_16-29-37.gif

World

VIP
Yes this is also my first time hearing this. Which is why I shared it here
Find me the wife of a sahaba(ra) who demanded a salary to look after their own children. They don’t exist. They all cooked and cleaned as this was the custom of Arabian society. All you are doing by posting this is encouraging ungrateful western women who disobey their husbands that what they are doing is halal.

If my wife demanded that then I would beat her. The nerve.

She must request money for looking after her own child?

:chrisfreshhah:

If my wife doesn’t cook and clean tries pulling any of these “I don’t have to do this according to Islam” excuses, then she’s getting hit with a triple talaq. :camby:
Yes she has that right and ff she does those things for free it's considered charity.. And you have the right to talaq but it doesnt mean you wont be questioned for it. I see this as a safeguard for women since if she does get talaq like you would give for a right given to her by Allah then what would she have?

You may not like it just like women don't like polygamy but it doesn't change anything, The deen is the deen,

Cigaal

يا نبي سلام عليك
So I get to charge for taking care of my own children? Sweet deal.
View attachment 70966
It's better to be compassionate and follow the custom of your culture. Which for Somalis is to help cook for your husband or with him.

Also keep in mind that the husband is also not obligated to cook or clean.

Last edited:

Cigaal

يا نبي سلام عليك
Find me the wife of a sahaba(ra) who demanded a salary to look after their own children. They don’t exist. They all cooked and cleaned as this was the custom of Arabian society. All you are doing by posting this is encouraging ungrateful western women who disobey their husbands that what they are doing is halal.

If my wife demanded that then I would beat her. The nerve.
“However, it is best that she perform whatever is customary for wives to perform because it is the custom, the situation won’t be right without it, and society won’t function without it.”

I'm simply posting the shafi'I position regarding this. If you dont like it then you can adopt the opinion of another madhab regarding this but this is the position of our school

World

VIP
Yes she has that right and ff she does those things for free it's considered charity.. And you have the right to talaq but it doesnt mean you wont be questioned for it. I see this as a safeguard for women since if she does get talaq like you would give for a right given to her by Allah then what would she have?

You may not like it just like women don't like polygamy but it doesn't change anything, The deen is the deen,
:pachah1:

Go and find me where the prophet(saw) said a woman has the right to a salary for looking after her own children. Don’t make up your own deen.

The prophet (saw) said:

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If I were to command anyone to prostrate to anyone else, I would have commanded women to prostrate to their husbands.”

I can forbid my wife from seeing her dying parents and you guys think a woman can deny looking after her own children. :camby:

Cigaal

يا نبي سلام عليك
Whats the Hanafi standpoint on this?
1. One group consider it obligatory. It is the opinion of Ibn Abi Shaybah, Abi Thaur, some Hanafis (e.g., al-Juwzajani), Ibn Taymiyyah and Ibn al-Qayyim. Al-Tabari inclined towards it, and Muhammad bin Ali bin al-Ityuni preferred it in Qurrat al-ayn al-muhtaj (2:415).

2. The Hanafis consider it a non-compulsory religious obligation.

3. The Malikis consider it obligatory if the Husband is poor or she is not from the upper echelons of society.

4. The Shafiis, most Hanbalis, and some Malikis consider it non-obligatory. Abu Hanifah and Muhammad bin al-Hasan gave this opinion. Ibn Qudamah was certain of it, though he preceded his opinion by saying, “However, it is best that she perform whatever is customary for wives to perform because it is the custom, the situation won’t be right without it, and society won’t function without it.”

https://musafurber.com/2019/03/20/summary-a-wifes-religious-obligation-to-perform-housework/

Go and find me where the prophet(saw) said a woman has the right to a salary for looking after her own children. Don’t make up your own deen.

The prophet (saw) said:

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If I were to command anyone to prostrate to anyone else, I would have commanded women to prostrate to their husbands.”

I can forbid my wife from seeing her dying parents and you guys think a woman can deny looking after her own children. :camby:
The only right a husband has over his wife is that in the bedroom, that she guards his home and not allow anyone to enter without his permission, and that she listen to him (listening doesnt supersede her own rights though). It's in what was posted here and it's the Prophet pbuh's last sermon. That's it. How about you find me anywhere that says a wife must cook, clean, and take care of her kids? Is it recommended for a harmonious household and did the Prophet pbuh tell Fatima to clean her own home when she asked for a servant? Yes. Are there custom considerations as well? yes. Anyways this is a non-factor since this doesnt really happen in reality.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/130...eturn-for-breastfeeding-her-children-from-him

as you see above disagree some disagree but others hold that yes she should be paid married or not.

Last edited:
The only right a husband has over his wife is that in the bedroom, that she guards his home and not allow anyone to enter without his permission, and that she listen to him (listening doesnt supersede her own rights though). It's in what was posted here and it's the Prophet pbuh's last sermon. That's it. How about you find me anywhere that says a wife must cook, clean, and take care of her kids? Is it recommended for a harmonious household and did the Prophet pbuh tell Fatima to clean her own home when she asked for a servant? Yes. Are there custom considerations as well? yes. Anyways this is a non-factor since this doesnt really happen in reality.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/130...eturn-for-breastfeeding-her-children-from-him

as you see above disagree some disagree but others hold that yes she should be paid married or not.
*Let me clarify to add. There are rights married people have over each other which are distinct from the rights that are specific to children. Children have rights over their parents including mothers. I don't want to confuse anyone. Some hold that women can demand payment for breastfeeding from their husbands so taking care was a poor choice of words however the father will always have the financial burden of taking care of the kids.

World

VIP

It’s haram for a woman to fast without the permission of her husband:

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “It is not permissible for a woman to fast when her husband is present except with his permission, or to allow anyone in his house without his permission.”

Al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, commenting on this hadeeth: Since it is obligatory for a woman to obey her husband with regard to his satisfying his desire, it is more appropriate that it be obligatory for her to obey him in that which is more important than that, namely raising their children, guiding the family, and other rights and duties.

It’s obligatory for her to raise the children, let alone her demanding a payment.

If she doesn’t look after children or cook/clean, then she’s getting divorced. A woman must obey her husband as long as it’s not haram. So if I command her to cook and clean for me, then she is obligated to do so.

The prophet (saw) said:

You clearly have no clue about Islam. You're completely ignorant.

A woman can even demand payment for breastfeeding her own child:

It's in the Qur'an:

فَإِنْ أَرْضَعْنَ لَكُمْ فَآتُوهُنَّ أُجُورَهُنَّ الطلاق/6

“Then if they give suck to the children for you, give them their due payment” [al-Talaaq 65:6].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending