How were White Europeans able to dominate the whole world? And why can’t their black colonies catch up to the rest of the world?

Jaale

Towradatan Barakaysan
Somalia, Ethiopia, Liberia have never been colonized (or at least to the extent of other or enslaved and they’re still shit holes. No scientists from those countries, philosophers, no inventions...we really need to do better
You can say pretty much say the same for the Arab world today too. Even though at one point the center of civilisation. They are all weak and useless today.

Look at Eygypt with its history and the pyramids but today crying and begging Ethiopia not to fill a dam.

Yeah I read that Ethiopia was able to win a war against one invader, I forget which one. So why haven’t they been able to develop? Most Africans blame their lack of development on colonialism and foreign powers
Italy :kanyeshrug:ethiopia survived the first one but second one they were occupied either way they had the Russian due to being orthodox church

Jaale

Towradatan Barakaysan
Yeah I know but they’re all somewhat related. I’m just expressing my thoughts and using your guys’s comments to help me research good books and other resources
Only tangentially like colour of skin but that will lead you down the wrong path.

You can say pretty much the same for the Arab world today too. Even though at one point the center of civilisation. They are all weak and useless today.

Look at Eygypt with its history and the pyramids but today crying and begging Ethiopia not to fill a dam.
I mean yeah but the majority of the Arab world is still more developed than the three countries I mentioned. I won’t judge Somalia or Ethiopia even though we’re very stupid and kill our own kind over nothing...if we stopped the infighting I think we could catch up. I think I have to stop having the same standards for the west and Africa and start looking at historical factors first

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
Black populated areas of the US are the poorest too. I wonder why were always the lowest even though we have enough good apples among us you know.

To be fair, Amerindians, Aboriginals, etc were at a lower place than Black people.
Today, we have the Nigerians who represent a good image for Blacks in the U.S.

The Most Successful Ethnic Group in the U.S. May Surprise You - OZY | A Modern Media Company

Don't look at History with a defaitist standpoint.

Africa has always been "empty" (compared to Asia and Europe), and the Ethiopians, Nubians have had +2000 years old civilizations (with multiple writing systems, cities, monuments,etc...)
Not to neglect Nigerian empires,etc.

Try to learn more about African studies, it may help you.

Jaale

Towradatan Barakaysan
I mean yeah but the majority of the Arab world is still more developed than the three countries I mentioned. I won’t judge Somalia or Ethiopia even though we’re very stupid and kill our own kind over nothing...if we stopped the infighting I think we could catch up. I think I have to stop having the same standards for the west and Africa and start looking at historical factors first
The Gulf Arabs, sure but the rest are not any better than South Africa, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Nigeria ect. Now look at Syria, Libya, Yemen.

History, while a good guide for understanding it doesn't tell you how a particular country is going to turn out in the future.

To be fair, Amerindians, Aboriginals, etc were at a lower place than Black people.
Today, we have the Nigerians who represent a good image for Blacks in the U.S.

The Most Successful Ethnic Group in the U.S. May Surprise You - OZY | A Modern Media Company

Don't look at History with a defaitist standpoint.

Africa has always been "empty" (compared to Asia and Europe), and the Ethiopians, Nubians have had +2000 years old civilizations (with multiple writing systems, cities, monuments,etc...)
Not to neglect Nigerian empires,etc.

Try to learn more about African studies, it may help you.
Yes thank you. I am going to enrol in an African studies course this fall inshallah. What’s funny is I only learned about these ancient African civilizations this year and through social media initially. We always hype up the Romans and the UK, which isn’t a bad thing but we still need to appreciate others and learn where they went wrong. Mansa Musa has been written about my many old travellers, even Europeans but we never hear about him even though he would probably be worth 1 trillion today. Based on your replies and some research if been doing I think the white Europeans are good with technology which has helped them dominate, but they’re also good at fitna which has ultimately ruined everyone. Slavery wouldn’t have happened if Africans were more united, but we don’t see each other as a unit.

Yes thank you. I am going to enrol in an African studies course this fall inshallah. What’s funny is I only learned about these ancient African civilizations this year and through social media initially. We always hype up the Romans and the UK, which isn’t a bad thing but we still need to appreciate others and learn where they went wrong. Mansa Musa has been written about my many old travellers, even Europeans but we never hear about him even though he would probably be worth 1 trillion today. Based on your replies and some research if been doing I think the white Europeans are good with technology which has helped them dominate, but they’re also good at fitna which has ultimately ruined everyone. Slavery wouldn’t have happened if Africans were more united, but we don’t see each other as a unit.
Slavery wasn't just an African thing, it happened all over the world. Millions of Europeans were enslaved by people from the middle east and north Africa in the last 600 years alone.

Slavery wasn't just an African thing, it happened all over the world. Millions of Europeans were enslaved by people from the middle east and north Africa in the last 600 years alone.
The context of slavery is different for each racial group though. White people were seen as a commodity, more specifically white woman. But black women, black children, asian women etc. were treated like animals. Regardless though whoever invented slavery, like saw an innocent person and decided to chain them up has straight up mental illness and we as Africans should really learn more about this so we can prevent it from happening again. My uncle said when he grew up in colonial Somalia, some white soldiers would use Somalis as human bridges when they didn’t want to get their boots wet...

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP

Mate you serious are not comparing common slavery to the trans-atlantic slave trade.

Two completely different things, two complete different treatments.

Mate you serious are not comparing common slavery to the trans-atlantic slave trade.

Exactly. You know when I was at a plantation in the US, they would talk about really messed up shit they would do to black slaves. One slave owner took shit, stuffed it into the mouths of her slaves then sewed their mouths shut...Mainly white woman were affected by slavery and they weren’t treated nearly as badly since they were seen as a commodity

Jaale

Towradatan Barakaysan
They wouldn't be able to get those slaves without those African Kingdoms supplying them. People focus too much on the end stage forget and exonerate the beginning.

Jaale

Towradatan Barakaysan

It's pretty much the same. Slavery has been part of every single past civilisation. You think someone from 1000 years ago was better.

The context of slavery is different for each racial group though. White people were seen as a commodity, more specifically white woman. But black women, black children, asian women etc. were treated like animals.

Black African farmers were bought by Europeans from other Africans to work their cash crop plantations all over the Americas after the native Americans died from old world diseases. MENA people didn't have farms like that, they used their white slaves for domestic tasks, sex, and soldiers. In Siberia the goal wasn't plantations rather furs, so the Russian Cossacks forced Asian tribes to hunt the animals on their behalf.

I don't see how they're different, it's still slavery.

They wouldn't be able to get those slaves without those African Kingdoms supplying them. People focus too much on the end stage forget and exonerate the beginning.
I think African leaders are still short sighted which is why I hope educated diasporans can potentially help out and educate people so we don’t get fucked over. Honestly I don’t mean to sound rude but central Africa is beyond fucked in terms of whie worship and corruption. My uncle told me so many stories. These people will gladly sell out their own people for a couple million. East Africa still has potential if we start working together now. I’m kind of glad everyone has forgotten about Somalia because we haven’t had our resources pillaged like many African countries...All we need to do is wake up and do better

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
It's pretty much the same. Slavery has been part of every single past civilisation. You think someone from 1000 years ago was better.

No but there are some differences.

Firstly, the trans-atlantic slave trade was an exercise in which an entire region was targeted and sourced for slavery, breaking up entire societies and even civilisations. Romans/Greeks/ even Somalis used to source Slaves from either people they beat in war or nearby societies without civilisations.

Secondly, the trans-atlantic slave trade was the first of its kind based purely on racial supremacy. In previous civilisations, slaves were victims of war or captured from weaker civilisations, during the trans-atlantic slave trade, Europeans went all the way to the heartland of Africa because of their belief in their inferority.

Thirdly, the lack of opportunities for freedom, the cruelty and the murder was a lot worse. Sure, all slave owners are generally cruel but the entire trans-atlantic slave trade was based on dehumanising humans to a point we have never seen before.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
@Eggman

A friend of mine that studies this topic, went into considerable detail regarding the difference of recent slavery and traditional slavery. They also mentioned that the African kingdoms thought that the slaves would be working as traditional slaves which was akin to unpaid housework rather than the relentless plantation work that we saw in pre-Lincoln America.

Jaale

Towradatan Barakaysan
No but there are some differences.

Firstly, the trans-atlantic slave trade was an exercise in which an entire region was targeted and sourced for slavery, breaking up entire societies and even civilisations. Romans/Greeks/ even Somalis used to source Slaves from either people they beat in war or nearby societies without civilisations.

Secondly, the trans-atlantic slave trade was the first of its kind based purely on racial supremacy. In previous civilisations, slaves were victims of war or captured from weaker civilisations, during the trans-atlantic slave trade, Europeans went all the way to the heartland of Africa because of their belief in their inferority.

Thirdly, the lack of opportunities for freedom, the cruelty and the murder was a lot worse. Sure, all slave owners are generally cruel but the entire trans-atlantic slave trade was based on dehumanising humans to a point we have never seen before.
They believe that they are superior to everyone not just blacks. If they could source slaves from others they would.

People always throughout history always used whatever justification to get slaves. The Romans going to 'civilse' German barbarians or later fighting pagans.

You can find all accounts going as far as the history of civilisation, it goes hand in hand. Those African slaves were usually defeated in war by other Africans who would then sell them to Europeans at ports.

Jaale

Towradatan Barakaysan
@Eggman

A friend of mine that studies this topic, went into considerable detail regarding the difference of recent slavery and traditional slavery. They also mentioned that the African kingdoms thought that the slaves would be working as traditional slaves which was akin to unpaid housework rather than the relentless plantation work that we saw in pre-Lincoln America.
A friend of mine also studies this and says you're wrong.

The slave trade in west/central africa already existed before the Europeans came to buy from African slavemasters.

This is ignorant. Europeans bought non-Christian slaves who could work their farms from other Africans that actually enslaved them. They couldn't enslave their fellow free Christians, the slave trade was already dead in Europe once the tribes around the Baltic region became fully Christianized.

That actually goes to the Arab/Indian ocean slave trade. For instance they'd castrate all their black non-Muslim male slaves, and >2/3 would die. Somalis also bantu slaves but they didn't do this.

Trending