How to stop my hooyo from cooking a sh*load of food every during ramadan

Hi guys

Since ramadan, my mom's been making so much food each day while fasting. Sabayaad, buur, sambusa, fruit. main aasho - every day. I've been helping her during the weekend but if I want to help her during weekdays, I'll have to leave work straight away to make it in time.

At home it's me, my mom, and 2 brothers. I asked her to just make the main aasho (bariis or baasto) and a lot of it but she seems adamant to keep doing this. I also wanted to suggest to her to have them (my brothers) just buy their own food at times

If they just eat the main dish, I can cook the main aasho today at my leisure and they can eat it tomorrow.

What are you guys like

Somali Saayid

There is no surrender, We lose or We Die.
VIP
My parents only have the energy for this for the first two weeks after that, we buy takeout from the local Somali restaurant.

AbdiFreedom

#Pierre4PM/End Mass Immigration to πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ #DefundUN
Staff Member
Tell your mom to be efficient and to stop cooking items that are very low priority, like buur and digir. After a long day of fasting, the last thing we wanted to see on our plates are those things and I'm sure most will agree. I also don't want bariis or baasto but that was made for the others. Look at what you guys are not enthusiastic about and that should convince your mom to not cook them.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Anything else is calool non grata during that month.

Lostbox

γ€ŒImmortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
My family used to make everyone cook but my dad or me. The only 2 male. When I did try to cook. My mother or older sister's would take over. We also had the problem of cooking to much food in Ramadan

Hi guys

Since ramadan, my mom's been making so much food each day while fasting. Sabayaad, buur, sambusa, fruit. main aasho - every day. I've been helping her during the weekend but if I want to help her during weekdays, I'll have to leave work straight away to make it in time.

At home it's me, my mom, and 2 brothers. I asked her to just make the main aasho (bariis or baasto) and a lot of it but she seems adamant to keep doing this. I also wanted to suggest to her to have them (my brothers) just buy their own food at times

If they just eat the main dish, I can cook the main aasho today at my leisure and they can eat it tomorrow.

What are you guys like
How about being a good son, kissing our dear mother's gentle hand, and cook for her next time.

Actually, in my family, all boys, we have always taken turns to cook, and my younger brother was a brilliant chef.

Hi guys

What are you guys like
Do you guys eat all that food? Maybe she is thinking her boys need all that food. And is trying her best for you guys. I think she is also conditioned to make that much food and it is a habit she has become accustomed to. Which will be hard to break.

If you don’t eat all the food and it gets thrown away later, I would suggest you mention something about how it’s not good to waste (food) especially in Ramadan. It’s israaf.

Also emphasize how all the time spent cooking extra foods could be spent doing cibaadah. This month should be about increasing our worship not increasing the amount of food we eat.

Your hooyo may heed your advice if you say it in a very kind and caring way. And show you’re really about what you’re saying.

Last edited:
How about being a good son, kissing our dear mother's gentle hand, and cook for her next time.

Actually, in my family, all boys, we have always taken turns to cook, and my younger brother was a brilliant chef.

I get the feeling she doesn't want me to cook. When it's not ramadan she's fine with it but it feels like that during it she doesn't trust my cooking
Do you guys eat all that food? Maybe she is thinking her boys need all that food. And is trying her best for you guys. I think she is also conditioned to make that much food and it is a habit she has become accustomed to. Which will be hard to break.

If you don’t eat all the food and it gets thrown away later, I would suggest you mention something about how it’s not good to waste (food) especially in Ramadan. It’s israaf.

Also emphasize how all the time spent cooking extra foods could be spent doing cibaadah. This month should be about increasing our worship not increasing the amount of food we eat.

Your hooyo may heed your advice if you say it in a very kind and caring way. And show you’re really about what you’re saying.

No it doesn't all get eaten. The problem is that my brothers are xasiid and like all that food being cooked lol

I get the feeling she doesn't want me to cook. When it's not ramadan she's fine with it but it feels like that during it she doesn't trust my cooking
She probably does not want you poisoning the family (kaftan) :)

In which case, then take on the food prep work by setting up the kitchen (nothing beats coming to a clean kitchen), ready the veggies and fruits i.e. by slicing onions, chopping coriander, parsley, potatoes etc., and definitely load the dish washer afterwards. Just a thought.

Steeq

Always reconstruct because I desire excellence!
Yall mom's cook for yall for iftar????
BRO I meal prep for myself, every Ramadan. :mjcry:

She only cooked for us, when we were kids,
and my other brothers cook or buy food for themselves. :mjsuitcry:

Trending