How the 275 parliament seats were divided

1711788286963.jpeg

1711788332291.jpeg

It's incomprehensible that a massive amounts of citizens in Mogadishu straight up don't have representatives. Taxation without adequate representation.

Reborn
If I were to politically fix Somalia it would be to run a nationwide census.

From that census create parliamentary constituencies (area) based on population (50K).

This would elimate tribalism as people will think about their immediate constituencies as you could face a scenario where you have siblings competing for the same seat!

This will force people to open their eyes and vote beyond the tribal lense and instead focus on their needs.

Also this is justice for Mogadishu who need actual parliamentary representation.

For example 73/650 MPs in the UK represent London constituencies!

You can leave the tribal quota for the Upper House.

Mohmed

"For sale: Baby shoes, never worn."
Why do some of the clans/subclans are less numbered than other clans/subclans? And why are some of are divided amongst subclans and others are bundled as one.

Originally concocted in Salbalaar, then formally adopted in Arta, later revisited in Eldoret and Embagathi, the division of seats was not based upon population size, regions, FMSs or administrations, but tribes where each of the 4 major tribes had been allocated 61 seats each, with the 5th tribe (amalgamation of minorities) was allocated 31 seats.

The 5 seats are for Banaadiri ethnic groups, not for Banadir, as no seats have been allotted for Xamar, for the clans in Xamar are accounted as part of the 4 major tribes.

Addendum:

The Upper house was based upon the 18 regions of 1991 where each region was designated 3 seats, hence the 54 Senators.

Reborn
Why do some of the clans/subclans are less numbered than other clans/subclans? And why are some of are divided amongst subclans and others are bundled as one.

Clan federalism imported by Zenawi through Puntland caused this tribal lense which will forever put Somalia in a limbo talking about clans and politics till the end of times.

MPs should be elected through areas (50K population example) instead of entire regions.

You can look at Somaliland that's been doing this 1m1v for 20 years yet people are still talking about clans in politics and inflaming tribalism.

Somalia can't afford to replicate the failed voting system in Somaliland. Move conversations away from clans and towards development and prosperity as a national agenda.

Clan federalism imported by Zenawi through Puntland caused this tribal lense which will forever put Somalia in a limbo talking about clans and politics till the end of times.
This is not true statement, and I think like most you are mistaking the venue of the original discussion for the architects of the 4.5 formula, which was then considered a temporary solution out of the then quagmire, which served its purpose, but must have been decommissioned, as originally intended.

mohamedismail

Reewin. Lixda Gobol ee Maayland unii leh!
The reason why South west state gets so much seats is because majority of the 61 D&M seats are concentrated in SWS. Whereas Daarood seats are divided into Puntland, Jubbaland and Galmudug. Hawiye seats are divided into Galmudug, Hirshabeele, Banaadir and SWS. Dir seats are divided into basically all states as well.

I am personally not a fan of this. I think more Digil iyo mirifle seats should of been transferred to jubbaland to even it out a bit.

The reason why South west state gets so much seats is because majority of the 61 D&M seats are concentrated in SWS. Whereas Daarood seats are divided into Puntland, Jubbaland and Galmudug. Hawiye seats are divided into Galmudug, Hirshabeele, Banaadir and SWS. Dir seats are divided into basically all states as well.

I am personally not a fan of this. I think more Digil iyo mirifle seats should of been transferred to jubbaland to even it out a bit.

Most Dir seats are in Somaliland. Isaaq alone got like half at 28, Sameroon 9, Cisse 8 that's 45 out of 61 in whole of Somalia. The last 16 is scattered everywhere.

Raxanweyne have the most representation but their politicians are utterly powerless and most of their territory owned by Al-Shabaab.

Trending

Latest posts