How much problems do somali people hold in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching something on tv and it had anecdotes of people in places like syria going through civil war. Something I noticed was that both syrian men and women were very open about the hardships they faced, and you often see things like men openly crying for lost family, it’s pretty sad.

But I thought about the fact that you don’t see that in somalia, or among somalia diaspora. Think about it, people in somalia who left from the war have seen terrible things, if they move through life like they never have. Leaving everything you know because of a war can’t be easy, but they make it seem like it is nothing. You will hardly see people in somalia show any kind of emotion after a hardship happens, whether it is drought, famine qarax etc. (around others)

On one hand, I admire the level of stoicism it takes and the sabr...BUT is it healthy to be completely stoic under all circumstances especially considering mental problems are high in the community, maybe things like those contribute to it? And let’s think about problems like high divorce rates, broken homes, bad parenting etc

tell me your thoughts down below

To confide in someones one must feel equal or inferior to said people. Somalis feel superior mentally over all the world so they dont bother. The more traumatic events they reserve the more mentally superior they feel

I had the misfortune of seeing this cocky Somali guy in the city challenging the cops. When they asked him for an i.d, he called them all kinds of names and at the same time screamed at them that he knows his rights. They’ve warned him that they might arrest him if he doesn’t comply with their orders. He kept screaming and they took him down and put him on lock and he started crying while claiming that they used heavy handedness towards him and broke his wrist. He thought I will help him. I told him, mac sonkor. Beat a Somali man and he will become a cry baby. That bravado is fake.

VixR

Veritas
I don’t see Somalis going to therapy anytime soon. It’s probably too late for the older gen anyway.

The only way I see this happening is if it’s a function of the deen, like with the catholic style confession booth where you don’t know their identity, but they can freely unburden themselves and they’re incentivized to. The churches in my area have counselors as well.

Sheikhs lead only in prayers, they don’t really counsel people like they seem they should.

On the other hand, some people who commonly attend therapy sessions seem so confused and start to overly pick and pathologize their every action, to the point it sometimes seems like isn’t helping at all. These type of people have to see their therapist before they can understand what they should do. I think that’s the opposite extreme of the spectrum you’re describing, and they both have negative results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts