How Mogadishu was transformed from a medieval town to a modern city

Status
Not open for further replies.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
OK. Now, that's a link.You do know what they are! But, here's the whole quote below:

eb8b506f-5c6a-400c-b3e4-2a69d45063d1.png

Zanzibar, and the rulers of Mog before them were only interested in the port. They wanted to keep the interior out, originally with a wall facing only the miyi; and later with laws that locals could not be in the city at night. Think Shanshi and Cadcads. That is up until 1624, when the Hiraab beat both the Yemeni Muzzaffars and the Ajuraan. But that didn't end Omani/Yemeni/Zanzibari control of the port when their ships were in.

Nobody is saying that Zanzibar, or Mog before the Italians, ruled the interior tribes. But neither did the interior tribes control the exterior trade. Yusuf of the Geledi died at Golwayn trying to take a port from the Biimaal. Clients of Ajuraan period city states had ships, but there is no indication the Ajuraan did. The only Somali shipbuilding I am aware of was at Hafun, and that was much later.

You and those of your ilk always want to confuse the port and trade with the countryside. For the vast majority of Mogadishu's history, control of the two was separate. The Ajuraan ruled from Qalafo and Mareeg, etc., but not Mog. The Geledi ruled from Afgoye. It was the Yemeni Muzzaffars with the palace in Mog and, "nominal" or not, Zanzibar did sell Somalia to the Italians. He who controls the coast controls access.

Ajuran domain extended from Hobyo in the north, to Qelafo in the west, to Kismayo in the south.

Ajuuraan2.png

I've already shown you that Zanzibar never ruled Mogadishu and was only nominal while it was in the hands of local Somali rulers like Geledi Sultanate and Hiraab Imamate. You have been dismissed oldman so sip tea somewhere else.

Ajuran ruled from Hobyo from the north to Kismayo from the south and Qalafo to the west.

Ajuuraan2.png

I've already shown you that Zanzibar never ruled Mogadishu and was only nominal while it was in the hands of local Somali rulers like Geledi Sultanate and Hiraab Imamate. You have been dismissed oldman so sip tea somewhere else.

I have no sympathy for those who can't even understand their own quotes, or link something as simple as a map. You're a waste of time. The Ajurran were an Imaamate who can't even name the successive rulers of their rulijg line. They were a confederaton, not an empire.

That map does not represent the Ajuraan and you know didly squat. I strongly suggest you do some reading before jumping in on that topic again. Here might be a good place to start:

https://antitribalism.wordpress.com...and-their-defeat-by-baadicadde-and-gaaljecel/

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
I have no sympathy for those who can't even understand their own quotes, or link something as simple as a map. You're a waste of time. The Ajurran were an Imaamate who can't even name the successive rulers of their rulijg line. They were a confederaton, not an empire.

That map does not represent the Ajuraan and you know didly squat. I strongly suggest you do some reading before jumping in on that topic again. Here might be a good place to start:

https://antitribalism.wordpress.com...and-their-defeat-by-baadicadde-and-gaaljecel/

The authentic map I have posted is within the same link I have shown you earlier, you ignorant dullard oldman!

Ajuran wasn't a confederation but a highly centralized kingdom. I'm not going to read your made up falsification blogs, now sip tea somewhere else.

All scholars around the world called them an Empire. Only one disagreeing with that fact is a racist historical revisionist like yourself.

1938 Italian propaganda film by Istituto Luce, who also filmed the inauguration of the Casa del Fascio. . Shows the downtown and population at the time.

Last edited:

1938 Italian propaganda film by Istituto Luce, who also filmed the inauguration of the Casa del Fascio. . Shows the downtown and population at the time.

Amazing clip.The population of Mogadishu around this time was about 50,000 people of which around 20,000 were Italian. This means that the Italians were almost half of the population of the city, according to this source, though I don't know how authoritative the author is :

http://xoomer.alice.it/fernandotermentini/somalia.htm

" La Mogadiscio a cavallo degli anni '20 è una cittadina ridente, abitata da 50.000 abitanti di cui 20.000 italiani."

The other interesting thing in the clip is the motor cycle race. In 1938, the Italians created the Circuito Mogadiscio, a car race and a motor cycle race in the streets of Mogadishu. These events were flagged off in mid August 1938 by the Italian governor Francesco Saverio Caroselli, who can be seen in the clip. Caroselli is also the author of the book Ferro e fuoco in Somalia which documents the Dervish anti colonial movement led by Seyyid Mohamed Abdullah Hassan. His biography is available here:

http://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/francesco-saverio-caroselli_(Dizionario-Biografico)/

There is more information about this race which was also known as the Mogadishu Grand Prix here:

https://italiacoloniale.com/2018/05...mogadiscio-the-grand-prix-of-an-african-city/

Imagine the Grand prix of Mogadishu, with Alpha Romeo, Ferrari, Buggati, and other race cars watched by thousands of enthusiastic spectators.

Today it's the Amisom APC's and Shabab suicide bombers that race down the streets of Mogadishu among a terrified populace.

A tear for Somalia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending