How many times are you asked "Where are you from"

I think the above question always exposes the lie that western societies are truly multicultural. I've been here since birth yet I'm still asked "where are you from" my nephew is 3rd generation yet is also asked, "where are you from". For that exact reason Somalis need to increase investment in Somali lands, the freedom from base assumptions is extremely calming. In the west, it seems we have to justify our existence by being the best. if you aren't a model citizen etc you are seen as a leech you should be "deported" regardless of your citizenship.

Living in a quasi Ethnostate like Somalia is relaxing, I love not being asked "where are you from" and I love the vast amount of relative wealth I have.

m sometimes it’s not with bad intention but curiosity, like you see someone soo exotic you need to know their background

It's a subtle display of "racism", it inherently implies you are a foreigner. Italians who are 3rd generation are seen as American, Australian etc but a black person will always be seen as a foreigner.

m sometimes it’s not with bad intention but curiosity, like you see someone soo exotic you need to know their background

I agree, I look very Somali but not everyone knows what we look like. They could just about be curious about my roots as I may look ethnically ambiguous to them.

When I tell them its always positive and they normally say your lucky to grow up bilingual, Somali food is great etc.

It's a subtle display of "racism", it inherently implies you are a foreigner. Italians who are 3rd generation are seen as American, Australian etc but a black person will always be seen as a foreigner.

I've seen white people asked about their roots and birthplace of grandparents. I ask people and no-one gets offended. I suppose in America unless the person is native then they came from elsewhere.

I'm often asked if I'm afro American :5hcpspq:

Don't you look Somali?

giphy.gif

Not often back when I was in high school/secondary school however when I entered collage which was located in a predominantly middle class white area people would ask out of curiosity

Alluring

Sayonara
It's painfully evident that African-Americans are referred to as African-American even though they've been in the country just as long as whites. You never hear European-American because they believe that its the default. That's why people belong in their home countries, where they aren't seen as foreign.

Sometimes Ajnabis ask but most recognize that I'm Somali. My father gets mistaken for Sri Lankan alot by Ajnabis because of his timo jileec and it pisses him off :heh:

I think the above question always exposes the lie that western societies are truly multicultural. I've been here since birth yet I'm still asked "where are you from" my nephew is 3rd generation yet is also asked, "where are you from". For that exact reason Somalis need to increase investment in Somali lands, the freedom from base assumptions is extremely calming. In the west, it seems we have to justify our existence by being the best. if you aren't a model citizen etc you are seen as a leech you should be "deported" regardless of your citizenship.

Living in a quasi Ethnostate like Somalia is relaxing, I love not being asked "where are you from" and I love the vast amount of relative wealth I have.
I mainly get asked “what are you”

Trending

Latest posts