How many of you have trained in martial arts?

For longer than I care to admit.

Benefits:
Keeps me looking young
Keeps bones strong
Stay slim
Huge stamina
Flexibility
Toned muscles
low body fat
Confidence

Martial arts stops you from engaging in violence contrary to what non practitioners might think. You develop a healthy understanding of the dangerous a physical altercation may cause. You will also never underestimate anyone or overestimate your own strength and abilities.

Benefits:
Keeps me looking young
Keeps bones strong
Stay slim
Huge stamina
Flexibility
Toned muscles
low body fat
Confidence

Martial arts stops you from engaging in violence contrary to what non practitioners might think. You develop a healthy understanding of the dangerous a physical altercation may cause. You will also never underestimate anyone or overestimate your own strength and abilities.
Martial arts + marrying young. You're an inspiration sxb. Allahumma barik

Mozart

You need people like me
Very impressive bro. I wonder why the UK doesn't have school wrestling programmes. Hard to find decent gyms here also
Do you live in London ? Prometheus Wrestling is probably the best wrestling club. They train near Holborn

Benefits:
Keeps me looking young
Keeps bones strong
Stay slim
Huge stamina
Flexibility
Toned muscles
low body fat
Confidence

Bro, I've been thinking of getting into martial arts, solely to get hit in the face I'm in the field of medicine so it's bound to happen.

I have a lanky build 6'3 but Alhamdulillah I can put on weight rarely easily, too easily sometimes. I've toned down and am currently cutting. I'm looking for something very physical to get me "tough". For my build and goals which martial arts do you recommend?

Bro, I've been thinking of getting into martial arts, solely to get hit in the face I'm in the field of medicine so it's bound to happen.

I have a lanky build 6'3 but Alhamdulillah I can put on weight rarely easily, too easily sometimes. I've toned down and am currently cutting. I'm looking for something very physical to get me "tough". For my build and goals which martial arts do you recommend?
Sup bro, that is a noble field and good goal that you have for yourself.

I would recommend any style that you personally find appealing. Most would say go for the most logical choice like Brazilian juijtisu and or Judo, as these would be useful in close personal proximity in more confined spaces which would be ideal in your case.

But if you chose a style you enjoy that is not a mcdojo, then you are more likely to go the long haul. I personally practice Karate, but our style is very niche and includes grappling, strong emphasis on rough sparring, kicking, punching and sword/stick fighting.

I am now considering starting a new art after 15 plus years in my style, and my choice is Silat. This is an extraordinary martial arts style, however it is very hard finding good practitioners in the west.

As for your build, you have an advantage due to your height and ability to put on mass. This should not be an issue at all.

Muay Thai for 3 and half, nearly 4 years. Nothing gives you a better sense of accomplishment than sparring with an amateur fighter or a pro and coming out somewhat unscatthed :rejoice:

How much improvement can I expect in a year as a newbie sxb? Also how often should I aim for a week
Depends on a variety of different factors. Athleticism, cardio, how quickly you start sparring, if you're afaird to get hit or not (most newbies instinctively shut their eyes soon as punches start coming at them), how quickly you can recovery between session. But above all wallahi, how much you actually want to improve.

You should be fairly decent after a year if you can make it to the gym x2 or 3 times a week and if you're being coached by someone decent. If whoever's teaching you in making you do kickboxing/boxing style combos on the pads then you wouldn't improve as quickly, but you will if they're calling out a variety of different strikes to improve your reflexes/response time.

But after a year of going 3 times a week, you should be able to f*ck up a decent amount of untrained people if you're the same weight/height (mainly due to the reach, not the actual heigh). By year 3 or 4, you can put most people on their arse with relative ease, again, unless the difference in weight is too big or they catch you with a lucky punch.

My advice would be:
  • Find a good reputable gym - coaching is key. Trust me, you don't want to pick up any bad habits you have to unlearn later on. Not to mention the overall culture of the gym.

• Don't be afaird to take a hit, get out of the habit of closing your eyes when shots start coming at you as soon as possible. You can't react to shit you can't see.

• Don't be afaird to spar, get in there as soon as possible (provided your gym isn't full of cünts who can't keep their ego in check). You'll pick things up x10 quicker if you're punished not doing what you're taught, I.e., getting sloppy with checking kicks etc.

• And ice your shins and hands soon as you get home sxb. Those big heavy bags in Muay thai gyms will fucking DEMOLISH your shins when you first start.
But above all else wallahi, just get stuck in sxb. Don't try to be cool, everyone's shit when they start. Don't be scared to make mistakes. Trust me, NO ONE's judging you. Embrace the pain sxb, you wouldn't learn shit if you're scared to take a hit.

Welcome akhi, welcome to the Nak Muay nation :friendhug::friendhug::friendhug::friendhug:

Last edited:
Depends on a variety of different factors. Athleticism, cardio, how quickly you start sparring, if you're afaird to get hit or not (most newbies instinctively shut their eyes soon as punches start coming at them), how quickly you can recovery between session. But above all wallahi, how much you actually want to improve.

You should be fairly decent after a year if you can make it to the gym x2 or 3 times a week and if you're being coached by someone decent. If whoever's teaching you in making you do kickboxing/boxing style combos on the pads then you wouldn't improve as quickly, but you will if they're calling out a variety of different strikes to improve your reflexes/response time.

But after a year of going 3 times a week, you should be able to f*ck up a decent amount of untrained people if you're the same weight/height (mainly due to the reach, not the actual heigh). By year 3 or 4, you can put most people on their arse with relative ease, again, unless the difference in weight is too big or they catch you with a lucky punch.

My advice would be:
  • Find a good reputable gym - coaching is key. Trust me, you don't want to pick up any bad habits you have to unlearn later on. Not to mention the overall culture of the gym.

• Don't be afaird to take a hit, get out of the habit of closing your eyes when shots start coming at you as soon as possible. You can't react to shit you can't see.

• Don't be afaird to spar, get in there as soon as possible (provided your gym isn't full of cünts who can't keep their ego in check). You'll pick things up x10 quicker if you're punished not doing what you're taught, I.e., getting sloppy with checking kicks etc.

• And ice your shins and hands soon as you get home sxb. Those big heavy bags in Muay thai gyms will fucking DEMOLISH your shins when you first start.
But above all else wallahi, just get stuck in sxb. Don't try to be cool, everyone's shit when they start. Don't be scared to make mistakes. Trust me, NO ONE's judging you. Embrace the pain sxb, you wouldn't learn shit if you're scared to take a hit.

Welcome akhi, welcome to the Nak Muay nation :friendhug::friendhug::friendhug::friendhug:
Much appreciated bro. I signed up in March and gave it a shot. Lots of nice folks in the gym and I've thrown any ego out the door; I'm here to learn as much as I can. Only just recently started sparring and got a welt on my nose lol. One thing I find difficult is kicking on my toes. I find it easier flat footed but I'm aware of how problematic this can be. My athleticism is garbage I got a lot of fat to put off that I gained recently. I'll come back to this post next year in shaa Allah and comment on what positive changes I've experienced. Massively appreciate the advice

Much appreciated bro. I signed up in March and gave it a shot. Lots of nice folks in the gym and I've thrown any ego out the door; I'm here to learn as much as I can. Only just recently started sparring and got a welt on my nose lol. One thing I find difficult is kicking on my toes. I find it easier flat footed but I'm aware of how problematic this can be. My athleticism is garbage I got a lot of fat to put off that I gained recently. I'll come back to this post next year in shaa Allah and comment on what positive changes I've experienced. Massively appreciate the advice
Inshallah my bro. And you have wear those welts and bruises like a badge of pride wallahi (as long as they're accidental or you asked for hard sparring).

The flat footedness thing might be to a flexibility issue or the weight gain you mentioned. But A trick that I found worked for me was to get good as being able to spin on the balls of your feet and being able to transfer the force after you generate it. Go into the gym a little earlier sxb, set up your phone camera and just do a kicking drill and then review the recording. It's just practise wallahi. Once you get it down, you'll hear the difference in your kicks when you hit the pads. It'll sound like they've got a snap to them.

With regard to losing the excess fat, give myself or Shimbiris a shout sxb. We have a wealth of knowledge around dieting, calorie counting, macro splits etc. I joined this forum so I could share this shit before I got sidetracked with the shit-posting lol, don't be shy. I love to see another Somali brother win💪

Inshallah my bro. And you have wear those welts and bruises like a badge of pride wallahi (as long as they're accidental or you asked for hard sparring).

The flat footedness thing might be to a flexibility issue or the weight gain you mentioned. But A trick that I found worked for me was to get good as being able to spin on the balls of your feet and being able to transfer the force after you generate it. Go into the gym a little earlier sxb, set up your phone camera and just do a kicking drill and then review the recording. It's just practise wallahi. Once you get it down, you'll hear the difference in your kicks when you hit the pads. It'll sound like they've got a snap to them.

With regard to losing the excess fat, give myself or Shimbiris a shout sxb. We have a wealth of knowledge around dieting, calorie counting, macro splits etc. I joined this forum so I could share this shit before I got sidetracked with the shit-posting lol, don't be shy. I love to see another Somali brother win💪
Much appreciated bro. My diet has always been qashin tbh. In 2018-2020 I dropped from 105kg-75kg with some muscle gain, but that was purely from a caloric deficit, newbie gains and a qashin diet. Tried bulking in 2021, back at square one at 95kg and never managed to get myself below 90kg again. I think it's a lack of discipline tbh. Need to force myself to fix up on that front. Would definitely appreciate advice in this regard 🫡

Trending