How many generations do you go back till baadiye

Invader

👾pʅɹoʍ pǝʇɐʅǝxᴉd ɐ uᴉ ƃuᴉʌᴉʅ👾
My family were merchants and seafarers. They moved to a small town in the 60s.

My great grandfather was a man who sold gemstones and salt.

My family were merchants and seafarers. They moved to a small town in the 60s.

My great grandfather was a man who sold gemstones and salt.

Fascinating which part of somalia are they from? Not a qabil question but want to know where they mine gemstones ?

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Mom was born in miyi and moved to laascaanood in her teenage years I think. As for my dad’s side? Don’t know, let alone reer magaal my grandfather was qurbajoog even back in the ‘40s. My great grandfather was probably reery miyi.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
So we know most somalis are nomadic, and most of our family left miiyi life at some point.

Was it yourself born in miiyi or your parents or as far back as grandparents. Let's hear those stories.

It can be a taboo subject us somalis like to call each other rer baadiye and lots of them pretend to have no connection.

I'll start with me, my father was born in the miiyi yes that's right, his family were nomadic tribesmen who moved every so often searching for water, his childhood is full of interesting stories of fighting lions, etc he then left as a teenager to join the somali army, where he met my mother in the city and they moved to south somalia to live a much more mundane urban life. Some of my father's siblings still remain in baadiye. Funny enough my father has now left the west in his 60s and bought a bunch of camels. I think we look down on that type of lifestyle but there is so much more beauty living amongst nature, no material crap, minilisit, sustainable using what you need, animals for milk, clothes, furniture, food.

how far do you go back to camel herding days?

According to the DNA web site 23andme around 1850 that is where i broke off with my ethiopian ancestors

J-Rasta

Inactivated
VIP
I was born in a farming village , we are 5th-7th generation of substinence farming
We were irrigating and plowing lands since the start of the 14th century before then we were cattle herders that lived in reer miyi lifestyle , moving from place to place.
Aside from farming we also raised cattles and used dogs as shepards, at the time there weren't many Somalis around they were mostly concentrated in the North , the stories passed from generation to generation , said that the area was peaceful and serenic beauty , there were dense trees and wild animals roaming around, despite the presence of large numbers of hostile Wardeys and Boni hunterers , the river marked the boundaries between us and them, these people sometimes crossed the river stole our cattles kidnapping women and children hence we had wars, once they violated the agreement our forefathers made in that century we crossed the riverbanks and seized many lands as a form punishment and retribution.
We also took concubines , and prisoners to work in our fields.
The Wardeys surrendered and agreed to our accord it was peaceful ever since the 16th 17th century until , the encroachment of OG, Raxanweyn and Loobage settlers and the coastal Tunni and Ajuuraan empires expanding interiorly , the once peaceful region became a contested battleground , we lost our lands and cattles. Towns and villages were established by the occupiers.

Wardeys and Boni people were also chased away , the boni fled faraway meanwhile we fled upwards and continued our forefathers traditions. We have defended ourselves from large hordes of attackers for centuries and we even captured Marka and barawe , contributing the collapse of Ajuuraan empire , we also destroyed the Gendershe, Degoodi and prevented mass settlements of coastal Omanis we have defeated the Arabs , it's written in our history we are the ones that sent the Italian coloniaists and their lapdogs to hell.

Today we are not the same people as our forefathers, we are losing that practice thanks to mainstream somalis , farmers are negatively depicted and we have entire generation that cannot grow crops anymore or raise a cattle , the city life is cancerous.

Last edited:
I was born in a farming village , we are 5th-7th generation of substinence farming
We were irrigating and plowing lands since the start of the 14th century before then we were cattle herders that lived in reer miyi lifestyle , moving from place to place.
Aside from farming we also raised cattles and used dogs as shepards, at the time there weren't many Somalis around they were mostly concentrated in the North , the stories passed from generation to generation , said that the area was peaceful and serenic beauty , there were dense trees and wild animals roaming around, despite the presence of large numbers of hostile Wardeys and Boni hunterers , the river marked the boundaries between us and them, these people sometimes crossed the river stole our cattles kidnapping women and children hence we had wars, once they violated the agreement our forefathers made in that century we crossed the riverbanks and seized many lands as a form punishment and retribution.
We also took concubines , and prisoners to work in our fields.
The Wardeys surrendered and agreed to our accord it was peaceful ever since the 16th 17th century until , the encroachment of OG, Raxanweyn and Loobage settlers and the coastal Tunni and Ajuuraan empires expanding interiorly , the once peaceful region became a contested battleground , we lost our lands and cattles. Towns and villages were established by the occupiers.

Wardeys and Boni people were also chased away , the boni fled faraway meanwhile we fled upwards and continued our forefathers traditions. We have defended ourselves from large hordes of attackers for centuries and we even captured Marka and barawe , contributing the collapse of Ajuuraan empire , we also destroyed the Gendershe, Degoodi and prevented mass settlements of coastal Omanis we have defeated the Arabs , it's written in our history we are the ones that sent the Italian coloniaists and their lapdogs to hell.

Today we are not the same people as our forefathers, we are losing that practice thanks to mainstream somalis , farmers are negatively depicted and we have entire generation that cannot grow crops anymore or raise a cattle , the city life is cancerous.

I'm intrigued to know who your people are?

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
My ayeyo says her family lived in badiiyo then decided to move to muqdisho because her younger sister cambaro was eaten by a dadqalasho there.

Am I suppose to believe this at my big age ayeyo??
tenor (1).gif

IGotDaAnswers

jUst keeping it REAL homie
So we know most somalis are nomadic, and most of our family left miiyi life at some point.

Was it yourself born in miiyi or your parents or as far back as grandparents. Let's hear those stories.

It can be a taboo subject us somalis like to call each other rer baadiye and lots of them pretend to have no connection.

I'll start with me, my father was born in the miiyi yes that's right, his family were nomadic tribesmen who moved every so often searching for water, his childhood is full of interesting stories of fighting lions, etc he then left as a teenager to join the somali army, where he met my mother in the city and they moved to south somalia to live a much more mundane urban life. Some of my father's siblings still remain in baadiye. Funny enough my father has now left the west in his 60s and bought a bunch of camels. I think we look down on that type of lifestyle but there is so much more beauty living amongst nature, no material crap, minilisit, sustainable using what you need, animals for milk, clothes, furniture, food.

how far do you go back to camel herding days?
How am I suppose to know this loool I don’t know much about my parents upbringing let alone extended family

honestly I could care less about my “roots”
what’s so important about it ?

I think your young hence its of little importance, but as time goes on these things become more and more significant. Its alot more than just roots but knowing your origin means knowing your identity.

you will regret not asking this stuff while your parents are alive.

IGotDaAnswers

jUst keeping it REAL homie
I think your young hence its of little importance, but as time goes on these things become more and more significant. Its alot more than just roots but knowing your origin means knowing your identity.

you will regret not asking this stuff while your parents are alive.
I’m Somali British that’s my identity :birdman:

We don’t have to have the same identity as our fob parents who grew up in a third world country.
I’m not from Somalia, I’ve never been there, things that happen there or happened there has nothing to do with me :kanyeshrug:
my home is England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 I am only interested in Somali British history/affairs that’s my roots.

Trending