How long until you pop the question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I was scanning my FB, as I haven't been there since God knows how long. I discover that some schoolmates of mine got married (from undergrad). Then I got to thinking, they must have endured for years. They were talking back in the day. And yes they are both Somali. It's been nearly a decade if you round up. I find this all touching and stuff and quite unusual. A lot of Somalis I came across were quick to wed between several months to a few years (in the courting process before they got to cuffing).

It kind of makes me laugh because back in the day (Hooyo's era). Somali nimaan were quick to pop the question right away. They had no qualms about that. Fast forward to now and you will be labelled a fob or clinically insane if you try to pull this stunt unless it's an arranged marriage.

So, what is an adequate length of time to get to know someone before you decide to wed?

There's no telling. Sometimes you hit it off with someone and sometimes relationships take time to blossom. I can't call it.

I

IntensiveCareUnit

lolz, that is a hard question, mizz sophisicate;). but my turthful answer is simple:cool:. if da girl is willing to talk to you for more tan a 2 weeks, allow it, then she has already given teh answer. it simple. cuff her to the twin bed post you had since secondary school. :hehehe:

Depends on the age of the two people. If they're youngers between 17-24 they can grow with time and explore one another, laakiin elders 25+ anything more than a 5 month relationship is long enough to make up your mind and pop the question

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
The_Screw and Amun I suppose that makes sense. As for Local 5-months is too short a period of time. I don't think you would really know someone for at least 2 years. For grown folk, I would say 1 year to 1.5 years. To each his own, though.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
The_Screw and Amun I suppose that makes sense. As for Local 5-months is too short a period of time. I don't think you would really know someone for at least 2 years. For grown folk, I would say 1 year to 1.5 years. To each his own, though.

I don't think you ever truly know someone. 5 months or 5 years won't make a difference.

As for men, they know what they want very early on. If he's taking years to pop the question, you ain't the one. A decade to get wifed? Nah, they were second-options, bench warmers, plan B's. It's beyond me why they'd stick around that long for men who were clearly unsure about the relationship.

1435145472-kimkk.gif

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I don't think you ever truly know someone. 5 months or 5 years won't make a difference.

As for men, they know what they want very early on. If he's taking years to pop the question, you ain't the one. A decade to get wifed? Nah, they were second-options, bench warmers, plan B's. It's beyond me why they'd stick around that long for men who were clearly unsure about the relationship.

1435145472-kimkk.gif

That's what I was thinking, but being too politically correct I didn't want to say that. There is a point where it becomes ciyaal suuq. It was tumultuous to say the least, on-and-off. Which is why I was kind of surprised. Good for them, though. I think they deserve each other. Co-sign, you clearly don't know someone unless you're married to them.

Word on the street - the family is one of those 50 K aroos types.

Rooble

Suldaanka Gobyare
VIP
Marriage completes half your deen so how is it trash? It's just the Westerners that have shitted all over the concept of marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending