How do you say geeljire in english

?? My somali is not great despite being an oday.
Is it camel herder? But then I don’t think we herd camel like we do cows.

I thought herding was only used for cows and goats?
It can Include camels as well. I don’t see why itd only be exclusive to cows and goats.

The Geeljires livehood revolve around the health of their geela. They can provide milk ( which is much more caloric and nutritionally dense then goat and cow milk) meat, leather and wool and can transport heavy items for long distance of periods.

Its not uncommon to have more then one camel. Its better to have as many camels as you can because that would indicate your social statues and wealth back in the day

It can Include camels as well. I don’t see why itd only be exclusive to cows and goats.

The Geeljires livehood revolve around the health of their geela. They can provide milk ( which is much more caloric and nutritionally dense then goat and cow milk) meat, leather and wool and can transport heavy items for long distance of periods.
Somalis have been a historically nomadic society. IIRC we were one of the first to domesticate livestock but I could be wrong

Somalis have been a historically nomadic society. IIRC we were one of the first to domesticate livestock but I could be wrong
this is absolute facts. We have the most camels in the world. Still till this day we still export the most camels in the world, especially to Arabia.

this is absolute facts. We have the most camels in the world. Still till this day we still export the most camels in the world, especially to Arabia.
4789699A-6659-4295-93D8-37AF77113072.png
Livestock in Somalia is no joke. This is a stat I found in 2006 but it still holds up.

We descend from people that first domesticated some animals. We are talking about many thousand years before Somalis or any Afro Asiatic Ethiopian population existed as it is today.

But I suspect Cushitic speakers were the first to domesticate the donkey.

We descend from people that first domesticated some animals. We are talking about many thousand years before Somalis or any Afro Asiatic Ethiopian population existed as it is today.

But I suspect Cushitic speakers were the first to domesticate the donkey.
Donkey is one of the cognates most Afro-Asiatic branches share but perhaps that's the wild donkey and not the domesticated one.Either way all our (proto-cushitic ancestors) animals were of Middle Eastern origins excepts the cows.Our cows were mixtures between the Near Easterners and the wild cows of the sahel/sahara

what about cows?
It's a bit complicated. We can say wild aurochs were perhaps handled in some kind of way, by the looks of the hunter-gatherer burial cult practices before the introduction of agriculture from the Levant. And we see introgression between the wild cattle and the cows we know come from outside Africa, in the Levant/Anatolia and perhaps Iran. But fundamentally, I think the proper cattle domestication didn't happen in situ, that is, in Egypt. You can say there was some semi-sophistication with the wild cattle in the late Paleolithic, although not like we see evidence of with the Levantine introduction.

Trending