How do you combine work and school?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im in my last year of high school and am planning to keep doing this job in a fabric for 16 hrs per week

1 day of 8 hours doing in the night from 23:00 hr till 07:00 hr and then i have to start the same day at 11:00 hr my lessons in school
(The other day is from 15 hr till 23 hr so that will not be a problem)

Many of my collegues do this so i wanted to give it a try too

Does someone here have advice for doing this the best way? Or experience doing this?

I already know that i should takr a nap before working, not drink cafeine and eat rich in protein food.. but more tips are welcome

Excuse my english btw
And i only want to do this for 2/3 months so its temporarily

Can you change your schedule by any chance? You will only have 4 hours in between work and school that one day, and at that point you were working all night. I don't suggest this, but I had a friend who used to do something similar.
First, try to see if you can work at a more reasonable time.
If not, make sure you're well rested before work and take breaks as often as possible. Snack on healthy foods (i.e nuts if ppl aren't allergic) and try to stay away from caffeine bc you will crash.
The other option is taking your classes at a different time on that one day if possible.

Can you change your schedule by any chance? You will only have 4 hours in between work and school that one day, and at that point you were working all night. I don't suggest this, but I had a friend who used to do something similar.
First, try to see if you can work at a more reasonable time.
If not, make sure you're well rested before work and take breaks as often as possible. Snack on healthy foods (i.e nuts if ppl aren't allergic) and try to stay away from caffeine bc you will crash.
The other option is taking your classes at a different time on that one day if possible.

Because im still in high school i cant do my classes at other times
Also probably i will get a couple hours of sleep before working that night shift
and then after work ill get a shower and nap for 1 or 2 hours and then ill go to school

Im trying to do this at sunday night because than i can recover more quickly for the rest of the week

I cant get a other job because this is the best paid for it hours

I really tried it to schedule it different but for me this is the best, hopefully its not too hard on me

Tomorrow sunday night its my first night doing this before school

I think i will today sleep extra late so then my body is more used to it? What do you think?

And thanks for your advice already

Because im still in high school i cant do my classes at other times
Also probably i will get a couple hours of sleep before working that night shift
and then after work ill get a shower and nap for 1 or 2 hours and then ill go to school

Im trying to do this at sunday night because than i can recover more quickly for the rest of the week

I cant get a other job because this is the best paid for it hours

I really tried it to schedule it different but for me this is the best, hopefully its not too hard on me

Tomorrow sunday night its my first night doing this before school

I think i will today sleep extra late so then my body is more used to it? What do you think?

And thanks for your advice already
Hmm, I'm not too good at surviving without sleep. I guss you just have to test it out and see what works, but so far it seems like it might.
Oh, and no problem abayo. Wish I could actually help but I work daytime jobs so I don't have much experience.

GodKnowsBest

Somaliweyn Unionist
Stop worrying about working while doing school. School is a full time job.

I recommend you focus solely on classes. If you don't have at least a 3.7 UW GPA I see no reason as to why you'd get a job simply because other people have it.

If it's due to financial reasons I advise you request government assistance. Although I vehemently oppose most Somalis using government assistance it's needed in cases where people are new to the country, have no familial support or a combination of both.

Lastly, if you can't quit your job and you're already receiving maximum aid then I recommend you only work 4 hours per day for 4 days. I used to break up my work in chunks last year during Uni and I can't imagine splitting it up into 2 days like you did. It leaves absolutely no room for studying.

I pray the best works out for you and that you're able to make school your priority.

Edit:

Re-reading your post I'm glad to know this is temporary and I hope the best works out for you. With this in mind I recommend you do your two 8 hour shifts on Friday and Saturday. I have a friend that does this and she stays relaxed. This also allows you to study on Sunday.

Hope everything works out and if you need additional advice please DM me.

dr.leorio

death\emitter
I worked 30 hours a week while taking full time classes in Uni and I gotta tell you it was a nightmare schedule. I recommend not working while in school as I nearly destroyed my health and personal life after doing it for 4 years. I believe this is how it goes:
6359708627276744022008284893_600587_631602326860782_290990163_n.jpg

I worked 30 hours a week while taking full time classes in Uni and I gotta tell you it was a nightmare schedule. I recommend not working while in school as I nearly destroyed my health and personal life after doing it for 4 years. I believe this is how it goes:
6359708627276744022008284893_600587_631602326860782_290990163_n.jpg

I dont care about social life this year
I just want to get everything i want before i go to uni next year, so i can relax more

But i think its very brave you did that, i can look up to people who are that strong! Why did you work that much and do full classes in uni for 4 years?

Stop worrying about working while doing school. School is a full time job.

I recommend you focus solely on classes. If you don't have at least a 3.7 UW GPA I see no reason as to why you'd get a job simply because other people have it.

If it's due to financial reasons I advise you request government assistance. Although I vehemently oppose most Somalis using government assistance it's needed in cases where people are new to the country, have no familial support or a combination of both.

Lastly, if you can't quit your job and you're already receiving maximum aid then I recommend you only work 4 hours per day for 4 days. I used to break up my work in chunks last year during Uni and I can't imagine splitting it up into 2 days like you did. It leaves absolutely no room for studying.

I pray the best works out for you and that you're able to make school your priority.

Edit:

Re-reading your post I'm glad to know this is temporary and I hope the best works out for you. With this in mind I recommend you do your two 8 hour shifts on Friday and Saturday. I have a friend that does this and she stays relaxed. This also allows you to study on Sunday.

Hope everything works out and if you need additional advice please DM me.

Im not getting shit from the government, well at least school is free i omly have to pay my own traffic to school
But thanks for your advice hun ;)
Last sunday went okay for me, it was hard but worth it..life isnt always as easy as you want to
And hmdl i got everything, sometimes you just have to push yourself and work harder i dont mind at all

dr.leorio

death\emitter
I dont care about social life this year
I just want to get everything i want before i go to uni next year, so i can relax more

But i think its very brave you did that, i can look up to people who are that strong! Why did you work that much and do full classes in uni for 4 years?

If you're willing to make sacrifices like social life for example, then it's very possible to balance out a hectic school and work schedule. Just make sure to take care of your health both mentally and physically as the stress can literally eat you from the inside out. Good luck on your studies nonetheless, you got this!

And thanks! I didn't really do it for me though; I was fulfilling a promise I made to my grandma who passed away right before I started Uni. To be honest, if it were up to me I would just save up money from working a couple years and move back to Somalia to start a farm or something. I personally no longer have an interest in living in the west anymore but before I leave for good I plan on taking full advantage of the opportunities here first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending