How do I write Islam in my stories in a respectable, but authentic way in my stories ?

The subject of Islam is unavoidable because it’s so intertwined with Somali history. I know not to go in the direction of the movie Dogma or make fun of the religion like Little Nicky. Or to show the face of Muhammad.
I’m using Waaq in my story. From my understanding, Waaq and Allah are one in the same. Pre-Islam Somali religion has more in common with Abrahamic religions than pagans ones. European pagans, voodoo and Taoism aren’t monotheistic. I can’t really think of any pre Abrahamic people with a monotheistic belief system, now that I think about. I would like to show Al-Shabaab because that’s also unavoidable.
Any suggestions?

Villainess

smooth talk on a rainy summer evening
don't write about Allah being "friends" with Waaq. Don't mention Allah as a character, don't mention any of the prophets. Don't mention Jesus or Muhammad pbuh. Waaq is not Allah. Waaq was an anicent sky god. Allah is the ultimate Lord of the world.

You can talk about Islam but not as a being.

don't write about Allah being "friends" with Waaq. Don't mention Allah as a character, don't mention any of the prophets. Don't mention Jesus or Muhammad pbuh. Waaq is not Allah. Waaq was an anicent sky god. Allah is the ultimate Lord of the world.

Gotcha.

So basically, I show character practicing Islam but do as an actual character. Could I make Waaq an angel then ? But my dad use to tell me that Islam is a traditional African religion and there’s aloe of Saints that originated from there. BUT he’s part Berber and they love to steal other cultures’ shit. But I’m not going to put in there. I just want to know where the concept of Islam being from Africa comes from, besides the NOI

So basically, I show character practicing Islam but do as an actual character. Could I make Waaq an angel then ? But my dad use to tell me that Islam is a traditional African religion and there’s aloe of Saints that originated from there. BUT he’s part Berber and they love to steal other cultures’ shit. But I’m not going to put in there. I just want to know where the concept of Islam being from Africa comes from, besides the NOI

Probably because Islam has been in Africa for a very long time compared to Christianity (excluding Ethiopia ofc) and maybe because Christianity is strongly associated with Europe.

Villainess

smooth talk on a rainy summer evening
I would advise you against making him an actual being. You can make them practice the religion but you don't have to make Waaq a talking person etc

The subject of Islam is unavoidable because it’s so intertwined with Somali history. I know not to go in the direction of the movie Dogma or make fun of the religion like Little Nicky. Or to show the face of Muhammad.
I’m using Waaq in my story. From my understanding, Waaq and Allah are one in the same. Pre-Islam Somali religion has more in common with Abrahamic religions than pagans ones. European pagans, voodoo and Taoism aren’t monotheistic. I can’t really think of any pre Abrahamic people with a monotheistic belief system, now that I think about. I would like to show Al-Shabaab because that’s also unavoidable.
Any suggestions?

I would say Waaq to pre-islamic Somalis occupied a similar role that Allah does now but I don't think anyone uses the term "Waaq" to refer to God in general anymore. It might not make sense unless you messed with the timeline and made the Islamization of Somalia slow enough that old practices were more prominent. But even then, would Al Shabaab exist in that timeline?

I would advise you against making him an actual being. You can make them practice the religion but you don't have to make Waaq a talking person etc
He’s only apart of the lore but doesn’t make an actual appearance in the story. Sometimes it’s best to make it vague and certain elements of a story to be mysterious. Besides, Waaq isn’t/wasn’t really involved directly with humans, unlike a lot of the pagan gods like Zeus or Anansi .

I would say Waaq to pre-islamic Somalis occupied a similar role that Allah does now but I don't think anyone uses the term "Waaq" to refer to God in general anymore. It might not make sense unless you messed with the timeline and made the Islamization of Somalia slow enough that old practices were more prominent. But even then, would Al Shabaab exist in that timeline?
This for the lore. The story’s setting is in modern times, so that’s why I asked about Al-Shabaab

@alt In my manga, the Abrahamic God purged the pagan gods, but Waaq was spared . Waaq became an agent for God after going through 7 tests.

Thank you for the honest advice. I know that several companies came under fire for misusing Islam in their stories. One of the Zelda movies got in trouble for using an Islamic hymn for background music in one of their stages. The best Muslim fictional character that’s way received is King Hassan from Fate Grand Order.
67D4901E-A106-44F8-8220-32F3B8E8A9F4.jpg

And Adol from Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure as well

Trending

Latest posts