How difficult is it to obtain a stem job after you finish school. Engineering And computer science

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
I had a co worker who worked at my part time job. He had a civil engineering degree. He left like in April because he found a job in New York with the government. He was working with us for like 4 months.
It made me wonder how difficult it was to obtain a engineering job.
I have also noticed I know a lot of people that are computer science majors. How hard is it to find a job in the CS field.

I assumed most people with a computer science degree and a engineering degree could find a job pretty quickly once they left school.

As long you have good grades I don’t think you’ll have trouble finding stem jobs.
I’ve seen a couple of Somali engineers at social media from North America.

You don't need a degree to find a job in CS. I dropped out of college. I have been studying programming for a bit outside college. Once I build my portfolio i will apply for a job as a software engineer. All that matters is experience in this industry. I am 20 the chances of age discrimination is also low for me. I will let you guys know if I get a job in December. That's when my portfolio of softwares i build will be done.

Last edited:

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
You don't need a degree to find a job in CS. I dropped out of college. I have been studying programming for a bit outside college. Once I build my portfolio i will apply for a job as a software engineer. All that matters is experience in this industry. I am 20 the chances of age discrimination is also low for me. I will let you guys know if I get a job in December. That's when my portfolio of softwares i build will be done.
Good luck bro.

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー
I had a co worker who worked at my part time job. He had a civil engineering degree. He left like in April because he found a job in New York with the government. He was working with us for like 4 months.
I have also noticed I know a lot of people that are computer science majors. How hard is it to find a job in the CS field.

I assumed most people with a computer science degree and a engineering degree could find a job pretty quickly once they left school.
Not hard at all for engineering, com sci, statistics, mathematics and physics. For chem, bio, bio-med and biochem, then I hope you like traveling, cause you'll need to if there aren't any opportunities in your city.

Depends on the field and industry. I know niccas with ChemEng masters who been looking for a job for a few years. I also know Computer science and CivilEng grads who get employment straight away.

Apollo

VIP
If you are White or East Asian, easy.

If you are Somali, very hard and if you do, probably underemployment.

All depends what uni you go.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
If you are White or East Asian, easy.

If you are Somali, very hard and if you do, probably underemployment.

Depends where you are, I have recruiters blowing my phone up daily for Engineering positions

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
Look up African engineering in the urban dictionary. :siilaanyolaugh:

''Made in Africa'' = nobody would trust that.

In reality, they'll look at your work experience (yes you need to do a hell of a lot of volunteering to land a good paying job straight out of uni) and your grades.

Regardless of ethnicity, aint nobody hiring a nobody with no experience. I worked in HR for 6 months in a big oil company and trust me, dameens were getting equal amounts of 'thank you for your application" emails.

Apollo

VIP
In reality, they'll look at your work experience (yes you need to do a hell of a lot of volunteering to land a good paying job straight out of uni) and your grades.

Regardless of ethnicity, aint nobody hiring a nobody with no experience. I worked in HR for 6 months in a big oil company and trust me, dameens were getting equal amounts of 'thank you for your application" emails.

I was joking, but stereotypes do play a role. Africans aren't known for being good engineers.

You have to be excellent to compete with average Asian or White engineers.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
Look up African engineering in the urban dictionary. :siilaanyolaugh:

''Made in Africa'' = nobody would trust that.

I don't know where you are getting this from, in America certainly job experience is all that matters.

I have won positions over white counterparts numerous times.

Civil Engineering and Computer Science are soft STEM subjects, though it probably depends on what your computer science degree concentrated on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending