How did governments before the civil war collected Tax? I bet it was so chaotic and scam filled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
There's no effing system.

Few years ago I've seen a guy roaming around Bakaraha Market that was going door to door to collect it and was getting insulted

YoungFarah

:)
VIP
There's no effing system.

Few years ago I've seen a guy roaming around Bakaraha Market that was going door to door to collect it and was getting insulted
It was like that in Kenya. People used to close up shop before the tax collectors came. If Kenya doesn't have a Tax collection system in 2017 what do you expect from Somalia?

SirLancelLord

Reformation of Somaliland
VIP
When I was in Burco couple years back, you have a guy that knocks at your house and gives you the tax bill for the year you can either pay it there in full or he gives you an invoice and you go to the office to start a payment plan / pay it later.

Kaleel

Staff Member
Administrator
When I was in Burco couple years back, you have a guy that knocks at your house and gives you the tax bill for the year you can either pay it there in full or he gives you an invoice and you go to the office to start a payment plan / pay it later.
How do they determine how much you pay?

SirLancelLord

Reformation of Somaliland
VIP
How do they determine how much you pay?

Its based on the size of your property it was peanuts for us like 10-20% of its value, and when I asked the guy about will you charge the people in makeshift houses. he said "no" as most likely are too poor but only if we have knowledge if they have a stable job. tax is charged per household so everyone that lives in that property. Burco may seem large but its small everyone knows everyone I walked in to the local government meeting one day where they were arguing about where the money should go some improve schools others roads / hospitals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts