How common is cousin marriage among somalis?

Som

VIP
I've seen posts here on Sspot saying it's common and others saying it's not. Personally I know a few cousin marriages but most are 2 or 3 cousins aka same sub sub clan, most people I know though are married to people from the same clan (example two different Dhulbahante or Isaaq subclans). I know sometimes cousin marriage happens but it's WAY less common than in the Arab world or Pakistan. My parents are both daroods but from two different qabils who live far from each other, on my dad side many of the women my ancestors married are Hawiye so completely different clan

It happens, I know a few people in the west, but not to the extent of Arabs or Indians.

It just doesn't feel right for me personally.

Siddhartha

future pirate king
VIP
You can be from the same clan and not be cousins so that's different than what you're talking about

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
I’ve seen 3rd cousin but it was older somali. Never seen 1st, somalis dont do that. Also many are milk siblings, so it’s haram anyway. Most older somalis are not married to their cousin.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
I've seen posts here on Sspot saying it's common and others saying it's not. Personally I know a few cousin marriages but most are 2 or 3 cousins aka same sub sub clan, most people I know though are married to people from the same clan (example two different Dhulbahante or Isaaq subclans). I know sometimes cousin marriage happens but it's WAY less common than in the Arab world or Pakistan. My parents are both daroods but from two different qabils who live far from each other, on my dad side many of the women my ancestors married are Hawiye so completely different clan

my grand mother side do it alot. She is Wabeeneya--Mjs---Very religious and very rich. They literally marry first cousins. So much that one of them married my beautiful inaa habaryeer, first cousin. Her husband is her abtii also--since her mom and him are first cousins. Religion allows it tho

Trending