How can we preserve the deeply threatened environment in Somalia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

World

VIP
It saddens me to see how the once lush savannas full of greenery have turned into complete deserts that cannot support when plants.

What can I personally do to migrate the affects of deforestation, overgrazing and climate change? I know of course planting trees would be the solution, but what type of trees? Would they need to to be constantly watered or will planting them be sufficient?

Thanks.

World

VIP
ek8f5De.jpg

The British implemented 14 grazing zones controls in order to let the land replenish. It’s absolutely sad how none of the successive Somali governments continued this after the colonialists left. If this could be done along with reforestation efforts, hundreds of small dams and other water catchment programs, it would do wonders to the land.

felloff

FA'CASH GANG BABY
Walahi I've thought about this a lot the only thing i think is possible is a western Somali with environmental knowledge teams up with the locals and starts a new Charity that Somalis should pay small monthly pledges to. I would happily pay £20 heck even £50 if their ways ledger system to see what my money was paid for , full transparency and i'm sure a lot of people would pay after they see the re greening happens.

On a side note Pakistan recently started a 100 million tree campaign for a $1 billion dollars this included jobs and new cooking resources for the villagers. Tree's can change the environment could even turn Somalia's seasonal streams into perennial streams/rivers.

If 10,000 people paid £10 a month that's £100,000 a month and 1,200,000 a year that could cover a lot of project's. Even divide the Charity to be based in different districts of Somalia so Somalis can help their regions back home that could even create a competition to make your region look better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending