How accurate is 23andme?

NotMyL

"You are your best thing"
VIP
I did ancestry couple years back and I didn’t like the results, I just don’t think I’m that mixed and then I read ancestry is not even that accurate so I’m thinking of doing 23andme, is it worth it? Any of you done it?

NotMyL

VIP
Maybe it is more accurate than I thought? I remember when they first send me the results they had a lot of mixtures like Portuguese, North Africa, Middle East but I just checked the updated one and here’s my results, I do think it can still be off no way my family did anything with hilib ceyrin eaters
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Apollo

VIP
@NotMyL

Ancestry.com did not have a Somali cluster for a very long time. Only recently (last month) did they add a Somalia cluster, but with only with 23 reference samples.

On 23andMe they have 140-something ethnic Somali reference samples. Significantly more.

If I were you I wouldn't bother re-testing at 23andMe. It looks like you are just Cushitic in origin.

NotMyL

VIP
@NotMyL

Ancestry.com did not have a Somali cluster for a very long time. Only recently (last month) did they add a Somalia cluster, but with only with 23 reference samples.

On 23andMe they have 140-something ethnic Somali reference samples. Significantly more.

If I were you I wouldn't bother re-testing at 23andMe. It looks like you are just Cushitic in origin.
I just think 16% habesha is a hard pill to swallow but I suppose it’s better than getting Arab. So you think if I re tested with 23andme I will get very similar results? No chance of getting higher Somali %:cosbyhmm:

Apollo

VIP
I just think 16% habesha is a hard pill to swallow but I suppose it’s better than getting Arab. So you think if I re tested with 23andme I will get very similar results? No chance of getting higher Somali %:cosbyhmm:

https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/AncestryDNA-Reference-Panel

They only have 23 Somali reference samples. That is extremely small and bound to create high statistical noise, especially with nearby regions like Ethiopia. For British people they have 1461 and Germans 2126 (much more and less likely to produce noise).

Most Somalis went to test on 23andMe in the past couple of years because they had a Somali cluster early on.

NotMyL

VIP
https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/AncestryDNA-Reference-Panel

They only have 23 Somali reference samples. That is extremely small and bound to create high statistical noise, especially with nearby regions like Ethiopia. For British people they have 1461 and Germans 2126 (much more and less likely to produce noise).

Most Somalis went to test on 23andMe in the past couple of years because they had a Somali cluster early on.
Yeah I understand that makes sense, anyways thanks for the info.

Trending

Latest posts