hooyo matalos used to insult me for using af maay words

Nyaaw is a af maay maay word for cat, i remember using this word and I was bullied for it I only recently found out it wasn’t a made up word but af maay maay .

Do others who speak af maay maay get insulted 🤔

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
af-maay maay is deffo a different language :childplease:

Loooool! I love how the second I quoted it your response was different:

REeBQeo.png

Thought about it better and became more sure, eh?

:pachah1:

But you're right. It's basically a different language but essentially the closest language to Af-Maxaa. Af-Maxaa is referred to by linguists sometimes as "North-Coastal" or "Coastal-Northern" Somali. It is the dialects spoken by the 4 main clans of Dir, Darood, Isaaq and Hawiye with "Coastal", sometimes dubbed "Benadiri", being the most divergent of the lot.

h9FwypJ.png

Af-Maay is the closest to Af-Maxaa among what linguists like to call the "Soomaali group" of languages which includes languages like Tunni, Jiddu and Rendille. All of these languages share, from what I recall, an ancestor within the last 2,000-2,500 years with Af-Maxaa and Af-Maay sharing one within the last ~1,500 years. Mutual intelligibility between the two isn't bad, btw. If you get used to Maay speakers and listen carefully you can start grasping a fair degree of what they're saying as this study shows and it kinda helps that pretty much all Maay speakers know some Af-Maxaa dialect.

Last edited:

REeBQeo.png

But you're right. It's basically a different language but essentially the closest language to Af-Maxaa. Af-Maxaa is referred to by linguists sometimes as "North-Coastal" or "Coastal-Northern" Somali. It is the dialects spoken by the 4 main clans of Dir, Darood, Isaaq and Hawiye with "Coastal", sometimes dubbed "Benadiri", being the most divergent of the lot.

h9FwypJ.png

Af-Maay is the closest to Af-Maxaa among what linguists like to call the "Soomaali group" of languages which includes languages like Tunni, Jiddu and Rendille. All of these languages share, from what I recall, an ancestor within the last 2,000-2,500 years with Af-Maxaa and Af-Maay sharing one within the last ~1,500 years. Mutual intelligibility between the two isn't bad, btw. If you get used to Maay speakers and listen carefully you can start grasping a fair degree of what they're saying as this study shows and it kinda helps that pretty much all Maay speakers know some Af-Maxaa dialect.
The wiki guy is at it again! Joking, but yeah in my household we speak the Benadiri dialect of Af-Somaali but my mother who is Abgaal knows both Benadiri and Af-Maay Maay dialects.

She switches to Af-Maay Maay when she's talking to her close relatives and I can only understand like half if even of what she says. Honestly, it sounds almost bizarre and more like the Oromo language sometimes.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
The wiki guy is at it again! Joking, but yeah in my household we speak the Benadiri dialect of Af-Somaali but my mother who is Abgaal knows both Benadiri and Af-Maay Maay dialects.

She switches to Af-Maay Maay when she's talking to her close relatives and I can only understand like half if even of what she says. Honestly, it sounds almost bizarre and more like the Oromo language sometimes.

Wiki guy kulaha!

:deadosama:

I have Maay speaking relatives myself as my mother's direct maternal line is Maalin Weyn Raxanweyn. I remember the first time I heard it. I'd been walking past an auntie who was on the phone speaking it and I legit though it was a completely foreign language like something European.

But I listened closer and realized I could hear many Somali words and grasp it a little. I agree that it sounds Oromo-like. That is mainly, I think, because Maay, like Oromo, lost its voiced and voiceless pharyngeal fricatives. Sounds like Ca, Xa, Kha and Gha are mostly missing in both it and Oromo, similar to Amharic. Many Afro-Asiatic languages eventually drop these sounds as they phonologically simplify over-time whereas languages like Afar and Af-Maxaa are more phonologically conservative for whatever myriad of reasons and preserve them. Listen, for example to how Af-Maxaa sounding Afar can be:

Abgaal I thought you were full réer xamar:tocry:

Wiki guy kulaha!

I have Maay speaking relatives myself as my mother's direct maternal line is Maalin Weyn Raxanweyn. I remember the first time I heard it. I'd been walking past an auntie who was on the phone speaking it and I legit though it was a completely foreign language like something European.

But I listened closer and realized I could hear many Somali words and grasp it a little. I agree that it sounds Oromo-like. That is mainly, I think, because Maay, like Oromo, lost its voiced and voiceless pharyngeal fricatives. Sounds like Ca, Xa, Kha and Gha are mostly missing in both it and Oromo, similar to Amharic. Many Afro-Asiatic languages eventually drop these sounds as they phonologically simplify over-time whereas languages like Afar and Af-Maxaa are more phonologically conservative for whatever myriad of reasons and preserve them. Listen, for example to how Af-Maxaa sounding Afar can be:

I see that is all very interesting. The Afar people and language seem very close to us Somalis, you could've picked a better video topic to show how Afar sounds like though.

:mugshotman: FGM makes me shudder with fear and empathy for my Horner sisters.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I see that is all very interesting. The Afar people and language seem very close to us Somalis, you could've picked a better video topic to show how Afar sounds like though.

:mugshotman: FGM makes me shudder with fear and empathy for my Horner sisters.

Sorry, abowe. I just couldn't think of a video where someone spoke so clearly and it sounded very Somali-like. But yes, reer Afars' closeness to us in culture and whatnot is dope. These chaps even make aqal Somali type dwellings. Truly our kind.

I'm Reer Xamar on my father's side, so in terms of clan lineage, I belong to his qabil. I still consider myself only half Reer Xamar though, it gives me great pride knowing my mother is Abgaal.
Yes I know sxb

im not gunna lie reer xamars look more diverse then Somalis

REeBQeo.png

h9FwypJ.png

My mother speaks it fluently I can’t understand her for shit.

Trending