Hobyo being swallowed by sand

Shite! This is a real threat to people's livelihood. Deforestation too is taking its toll, and making things worse. I visited Dhinawda earlier in the year, and saw the degradation fastly deteriorating.

'Hobyo is not the only place facing this fate. Towns in the south-central region, including Dinowda, Warsheikh, Cadale, Masagawaay, Ceeldheer, Hoodleey and Harardhere, are being slowly entombed'.

'Cadale lost the only secondary school they have, as sand is covering the city. I was there a month ago. I spoke to a colleague in Barawe and they have the same scenario,” says Mohamud.

There is a village some 70+ miles south of Garacad (can not quite recall its name), and it too was beginning to experience the sand problem, but the locals got help from Wadaagsan to build defences, and plant trees to at least slow down, and minimise the devastation. I do not expect levies being built, but same small scale defence barriers could be built to assist locals.

Shite! This is a real threat to people's livelihood. Deforestation too is taking its toll, and making things worse. I visited Dhinawda earlier in the year, and saw the degradation fastly deteriorating.

'Hobyo is not the only place facing this fate. Towns in the south-central region, including Dinowda, Warsheikh, Cadale, Masagawaay, Ceeldheer, Hoodleey and Harardhere, are being slowly entombed'.

'Cadale lost the only secondary school they have, as sand is covering the city. I was there a month ago. I spoke to a colleague in Barawe and they have the same scenario,” says Mohamud.

Haradhere, Masagaweyne and Ceeldheeer are not located on the coast. They are all located roughly 20km inland. I think the only towns that are on the coast are Hobyo, Cadale, warsheihk, Dhinowda and Barawe. Im not sure where Hoodley is so I can’t speak for there

Haradhere, Masagaweyne and Ceeldheeer are not located on the coast. They are all located roughly 20km inland. I think the only towns that are on the coast are Hobyo, Cadale, warsheihk, Dhinowda and Barawe. Im not sure where Hoodley is so I can’t speak for there
Actually, the village I was referred to in the earlier posting, is roughly 10 - 15 km away from the sea shore, yet sand storms in the high wind season, mostly in summer, I think, are that strong to carry sand further into inland, and I would think the same might apply. From afar, you could even see sand dunes as if ships in the sea. I am unfamiliar with those towns the article mentioned.

Actually, the village I was referred to in the earlier posting, is roughly 10 - 15 km away from the sea shore, yet sand storms in the high wind season, mostly in summer, I think, are that strong to carry sand further into inland, and I would think the same might apply. From afar, you could even see sand dunes as if ships in the sea. I am unfamiliar with those towns the article mentioned.
How could we possibly overcome this problem? Seems like it will have a major impact very soon on coastal towns. Unfortunately the climate change the country faces isn’t even mostly impacted by us but the damages from external countries

Last edited:
How could we possibly overcome this problem? Seems like it will have a major impact very soon on coastal/near coastal towns. Unfortunately the climate change the country faces isn’t even mostly impacted by us but the damages from external countries
I agree, unless prevented, it shall visit ruination upon the land, and everything else incl. humans, and we definitely need to start thinking about solid solutions.
At small scale:
a) I have been told there are plants specifically for stopping sand from shifting, I think it is called 'tiin or tiintiin', must confirm, and could at least slow it down, but not a long-term solution.
b) Constructing defence walls, or levies is another.

We definitely need a concerted, long-term strategy, and thinking.

Last edited:

bidenkulaha

GalYare
I don’t see the problem, people will just move more inlands. Maybe it’s more problematic for a larger city like Barawe

Xarardheere is far from the coast for example

Not quite the answer. Surely, this is not the only area in the world where this is happening, therefore studying what has been done elsewhere, thinking of a sound resolution, and getting Engineers engaged is wherein lies the solution. There are local teams exploring resolution, but they'll need resources.

They can take small steps like this by building walls made of concrete plus shrubs, plants and so on around the shores of the ocean because that’s where the sand +wind is coming from. Communities all over africa are fighting soil erosion and reclaiming their lost plants and land. This is doable and I hope they do something about it it’s cheaper than the money they buy guns with everyday.

Trending

Latest posts