History of unified rule in Somalia

Does Somalia have many examples of unified statehood in its history excluding the post-colonial period up until the civil war?

I'm aware of the existence of multiple kingdoms and sultanates in Somali history but I'm pretty sure this was more of a decentralised sort of rule.

Somaliyee Is A Big Country No Kingdom Can Control That Amount Of Land And The Unruly People Within It Is A Daunting Task For Any One To Do So But It Has Had Both Have Had Impressive Ancient And Medieval Kingdom's Empire's And So On

Hardly any large ethnicity in the world has ever been “united” under one government prior to colonisation.
*Laughs in Ancient China*

But on a serious note, there are many examples of large people groups being centralised under one authoritative figurehead like Kings, Emperors etc.

Somaliyee Is A Big Country No Kingdom Can Control That Amount Of Land And The Unruly People Within It Is A Daunting Task For Any One To Do So But It Has Had Both Have Had Impressive Ancient And Medieval Kingdom's Empire's And So On
Somaliweyn as a landmass is quite large I'll admit but the number of the inhabitants has been small for most of it's history. Nomadic cultures usually lack the food surplus for large populations which contributes to a less advanced societies.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
*Laughs in Ancient China*

But on a serious note, there are many examples of large people groups being centralised under one authoritative figurehead like Kings, Emperors etc.

Generally entire ethnic groups are not under one ruler. Because of issues like tribalism or conflicting interests.

Ironically, colonisation gave many ethnicities the chance to live amongst each other. Ethnic identity and self-determination came from being sick of cadaans.

Instead of taking this in both hands, Somalis choose to throw the toys given to them by the wicked hand of fate.

Generally entire ethnic groups are not under one ruler. Because of issues like tribalism or conflicting interests.

Ironically, colonisation gave many ethnicities the chance to live amongst each other. Ethnic identity and self-determination came from being sick of cadaans.

Instead of taking this in both hands, Somalis choose to throw the toys given to them by the wicked hand of fate.
Examples of large ethnic groups being unified under a single ruler in history:

Medieval England
Medieval France
Dynasties of China
Joseon Korea
Tokugawa Japan
Aztec Empire
Roman Empire
Macedonian Empire
Inca Empire
Sassanid Persian Empire

I could list more but you get the idea, it was not an uncommon thing at all.

Medieval England
Medieval France
Dynasties of China
Joseon Korea
Tokugawa Japan
Aztec Empire
Roman Empire
Macedonian Empire
Inca Empire
Sassanid Persian Empire

You Must Look How They Became Empires Alot Bloodshed Somalis Is Abit Like The Italians Many City States And The Unruly People

You Must Look How They Became Empires Alot Bloodshed Somalis Is Abit Like The Italians Many City-States And The Unruly People
Somalis have been killing each other and ajnabi for a long time but we still can't unify into a single nation lmao.

Medieval England
Medieval France
Dynasties of China
Joseon Korea
Tokugawa Japan
Aztec Empire
Roman Empire
Macedonian Empire
Inca Empire
Sassanid Persian Empire

There were even Monarchs that aspired to rule over & unify their continent. The most famous example being Charlemagne who was given the title 'Pater Europae' [Father of Europe].

A unified Somali people or a nation under one rule was never a popular idea among Somali various qabils who favored to rule for themselves and driving away other qabils during expansionist campaigns instead of absorbing them in their kingdoms like Arab tribes do, the idea of Somalweyne only got support among the populace after ww2 especially when Hawd Reserve Area was given to Ethiopia which prompted the fear of British Somaliland locals that they will be next so they heavily campaigned for a unified somali state that will protect the somali people from any Ethiopian expansionist move.

A unified Somali people or a nation under one rule was never popular idea among Somali various qabils who favored to rule for themselves and driving away other qabils during expansionist campaigns instead of absorbing them in their kingdoms like Arab tribes do
Tell Us Witch Clans From What I Hear It Was Very Much Popular In Somaliyee Maybe Not Your Degaan

Tell me a Somali kingdom that went own and tried to bring all qabils and somali lands under one rule or state ??

Screenshot_20210925-141414_Reddit.jpg

Angry Respect GIF by MolaTV

World

VIP
Geography. Vast majority of Somalia is semi arid desert. Population was mainly nomadic. The Han Chinese population is/was based around the Yellow and Yangtze rivers, which is very flat, and has tremendous agricultural land. This area is conductive for large and long lasting empires.

Geography. Vast majority of Somalia is semi arid desert. Population was mainly nomadic. The Han Chinese population is/was based around the Yellow and Yangtze rivers, which is very flat, and has tremendous agricultural land. This area is conductive for large and long-lasting empires.
Yeah, geography can be a big obstacle in centralising rule but it is not impossible. The Arabs managed to do it during the early caliphate period despite their tribalism, although I acknowledge that it was a short-lived phenomenon.

You could give the argument that it was their religious zeal and the memory of the beloved prophet that kept them together in the early conquests. I still feel that these things were part of various other factors though and not the whole picture.

Trending