History behind qori smaris

Does anyone on here have any urban stories or history behind the existence of this creature? qori smaris always fascinated me as a child in the most in terrifying way possible, I remember when I was younger my oldest aunt used to tell me stories how it would shape-shift in to a normal human in hopes of creating trustful relationship with other people and then when night time hits it will go near a forest or a bush and rub itself with a stick to turn in to it's natural form of this monster-like creature and kill the people near it. I was always curious of the origins of this creature, and why somalis in the old times just didn't assume that it was an evil jinn because of Islam ?

It is a myth, similar to leprechauns:

Another mythical tradition among Somalis concerning hyenas is that of the hyenaman, gori- ismaris (literally he who rubs a stick on himself). As the name indicates, the hyena-man, who is the Somali equivalent of the Western werewolf, transmogrifies himself into a hyena by rubbing a magical stick on his hindquarters at nightfall, and before dawn he does the same action and is reversed into his human shape.

People never really believed these things as much as it was traditional folklore to pass the time and tell children, the ancient versions of movies with made-up plots.

i believe qori maris was a sorcerer according to the myth who was basically a werewolf but a hyena instead so a werehyena.

coincidentally i came across this youtube channel yesterday

what I have found to be rather fascinating is that different cultures that never met seem to share similar myths which makes the possibility of these supernatural monstrosities probably real and the most likely explanation seems to be jins which we know are of many types with different abilities, biology and goals.

Last edited:

Garaad diinle

 
Some aspects of our somali tradition predates somalinimo and goes back in time to our cushitic identity and heritage, for example araawelo is a story we share with sidama borana etc. Qori ismaris is yet another tradition or a folklore we share with other horn of africans. The qori ismaris is associated with the beta israel of ethiopia and they have often times said to be able to turn into a hyena themselfs.

The qori ismaris is also a story that is been weaved and retold to instil moral values to the young generation which is why there are many versions of the story found everywhere.

Last edited:

Hamzza

VIP
Some aspects of our somali tradition predate somalinimo and goes back in time to our cushitic identify and heritage, for example araawelo is a story we share with sidama borana etc. Qori ismaris is yet another tradition or a folklore we share with other horn of africans. The qori ismaris is associated with the beta israel of ethiopia and they have often times said to be able to turn into a hyena themselfs.

The qori ismaris is also a story that is been weaved and retold to instil moral values to the young generation which is way there are many versions of the story found everywhere.
The Argobba people are rumored to turn into hyenas at night

i believe qori maris was a sorcerer according to the myth who was basically a werewolf but a hyena instead so a werehyena.

coincidentally i came across this youtube channel yesterday

what I have found to be rather fascinating is that different cultures that never met seem to share similar myths which makes the possibility of these supernatural monstrosities probably real and the most likely explanation seems to be jins which we know are of many types with different abilities, biology and goals.
Are there somali dragons

Garaad diinle

 
Not that I'm aware of but im also not the most cultured when it comes to our mythologies, tales and folklore.

however many cultures do have dragons, drakes, Leviathans, Wyverns etc type creatures I'm sure we might also have stories about them aswell.

Here we shared some info about dragons or flying serpents in somali folklore though instead of horns like the chinese ones they have jewels instead.

It's made out of two word mas and duul which means fly and thus masduulaagii. I found stories about it in random places so it's hard to point to a specific source. One source i can point to is richard francis burton 173 years ago where he said about flying snakes with jewels.

o0vj7dd.png

Here we shared some info about dragons or flying serpents in somali folklore though instead of horns like the chinese ones they have jewels instead.
very interesting why is jewelry hoarding a trait of dragons. western dragons do this but then again could this be burton injecting english dragon folklore into the somali version of the creature?
perhaps he made it up :ohhh:

or these coincidences are coincidences for a reason because these thing probably are out there :hmm:

Hamzza

VIP
very interesting why is jewelry hoarding a trait of dragons. western dragons do this but then again could this be burton injecting english dragon folklore into the somali version of the creature?

or these coincidences are coincidences for a reason because these thing probably are out there :hmm:
No, this is true. I was told about these stories when I was young and used to believe it's real until I grew up lol. Also, Enrico Cerulli transmitted it as well.

Garaad diinle

 

I can't say though what is interesting is that these stories are similar to the tale of the shipwrecked sailor from ancient egypt. One of the worlds oldest story that's about the land of punt flying snake and a snake covered with jewels. Keep in mind that punt is said to be somewhere on the horn of africa.

No, this is true. I was told about these stories when I was young and used to believe it's real until I grew up lol. Also, Enrico Cerulli transmitted it as well.
My parents never told me any somali tales except a jin related one which was apparently true about a guy marrying a jin

Cartan Boos

Average SSC Patriot
VIP
I can't say though what is interesting is that these stories are similar to the tale of the shipwrecked sailor from ancient egypt. One of the worlds oldest story that's about the land of punt flying snake and a snake covered with jewels. Keep in mind that punt is said to be somewhere on the horn of africa.

That's crazy

Is it similar to the story mentioned above?
I have never heard of the first one with guards. It is very similar to the second story. It has been alive for hundreds of years and has an extremely large jewel on its head and back. The only way to kill it is to take the jewel on its head. I remember she said it was a large Abeeso but a very similar story. She also told me the "One Thousand and One Nights" story in Somali and Sinbad. I was shocked to find out these stories weren't Somali when I read the books.

Trending

Latest posts