Have you read any books by a Somali Author?

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
One way I try to spend more time with my younger siblings whenever I visit home is by reading together book written by somali authors.

I bought When Stars are Scattered by Omar Mohamed for my younger siblings. It was so much fun each of us reading the different characters of the book out load although the story is kinda sad.The moral lessons of the book which were hope in Allah, gratitude, giving to the less fortunate was values I hope to instil in their young minds. We really enjoyed the book!

I got Ayan of the Lucky by Fadumo Yusuf for the older one in highschool. She is interested in going to med school so I was so happy to find a book about a somali girl journey to becoming a doctor.

What books have you read by a somali author that you enjoyed? 🙃

Apollo

VIP
@Hodan from HR

I am planning on reading more Af-Somali written books soon. Problem is they are hard to get in the West, especially in areas with no Somali bookstores (so not Minneapolis/London/Stockholm/Toronto).

I find that books written in English about Somalis are mainly about cliché topics like war, refugee stories, FGM. Kinda less interested in that.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
@Hodan from HR

I am planning on reading more Af-Somali written books soon. Problem is they are hard to get in the West, especially in areas with no Somali bookstores (so not Minneapolis/London/Stockholm/Toronto).

I find that books written in English about Somalis are mainly about cliché topics like war, refugee stories, FGM. Kinda less interested in that.

Kkk... you kinda right
The first book is about 2 brothers who grew up in a refugee camp in Kenya. I was sold because it is a graphic novel, keeps their attention.. 😅

You should check out Hal Ka Haleel by Maxamed Baashe and Silsiladda Xulka Suuganta Soomalida by Axmed F Cali Idaajaa. They were recommended to me but my af somali is a work in progress..
Boys Amy GIF by TLC Europe

I’ve only read history-related books by Somalis. The genre I’ve yet to see a Somali author write about is Fantasy.

Something inspired by Araweelo or the like could make a name for itself.:ehh:

The only novels I read was from the legendary Nuruddin Farah, knots & Secrets really sticking out to me, thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into it.

On a unrelated note, I'm more into the Horror genre and was surprised to find out that prominent American author Stephen king seems to have taken a liking to Somalis.

He added two Somalis to his 2019 novel titled 'The Institute' who played a minor role in the story.

The only business in town that stayed open twenty-four hours a day was the Zoney’s Go-Mart out by the warehouse complex. In addition to beer, soda, and chips, Zoney’s sold an off-brand gasoline called Zoney Juice. Two handsome Somali brothers, Absimil and Gutaale Dobira, alternated on the night shift from midnight to eight.

As a horror buff, guul Mr king. :icon lol:

Taliso

Nin aan cilay ba I cayaa.
VIP
No I never read books written by Somali authors. The ones that I've came across were either talking about the civil war, or autobiographies. And that didn't peek my interest.

@Hodan from HR would love to see some of your recommendations.

My recommendations...(you can find them all on Amazon)

1- The Fortune men by Nadifo - shortlisted for the prestigious booker prize. it's about the story of Mahmud Mattan the Last person to be executed in wales and decades later had his conviction posthumously quashed. fantastic book walaahi.

2- Mogadishu Memoirs. by Abukar ; memoirs of the author about growing up in Mogadishu of the 70s. The author recently passed away.

3- Call me American by Iftin :

4- People like us by Hashi Mohamed; some sort of a light autobiography and part essay about Social mobility in the UK. Hashi is a barrister in the UK but came in as a refugee to the UK in the late 90s, he grew up in the tough parts of London and later on become to lead a prestigious career as a barrister and radio personality talking about Social Mobility. Must read for Somali youth in the west.

5- A woman of firsts by Adna Adan ; Fantastic story. Adna's autobiography growing up in Colonial British Somaliland and later on studying midwifery in the UK circa 1950s. later on becoming the first qualified female Healthcare professional in Northern Somalia. etc...

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
No I never read books written by Somali authors. The ones that I've came across were either talking about the civil war, or autobiographies. And that didn't peek my interest.

@Hodan from HR would love to see some of your recommendations.

Hey @Taliso , Sorry sis, I dont have other of recommendations apart from the ones I mentioned in my OP 🙏🙃

My recommendations...(you can find them all on Amazon)

1- The Fortune men by Nadifo - shortlisted for the prestigious booker prize. it's about the story of Mahmud Mattan the Last person to be executed in wales and decades later had his conviction posthumously quashed. fantastic book walaahi.

2- Mogadishu Memoirs. by Abukar ; memoirs of the author about growing up in Mogadishu of the 70s. The author recently passed away.

3- Call me American by Iftin :

4- People like us by Hashi Mohamed; some sort of a light autobiography and part essay about Social mobility in the UK. Hashi is a barrister in the UK but came in as a refugee to the UK in the late 90s, he grew up in the tough parts of London and later on become to lead a prestigious career as a barrister and radio personality talking about Social Mobility. Must read for Somali youth in the west.

5- A woman of firsts by Adna Adan ; Fantastic story. Adna's autobiography growing up in Colonial British Somaliland and later on studying midwifery in the UK circa 1950s. later on becoming the first qualified female Healthcare professional in Northern Somalia. etc...

Putting these books in my wishlist ☺️

@SomaliPariah THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing walalo :it0tdo8::it0tdo8::it0tdo8:

I read excerpts of Shugri Said Salh's "The last nomad: coming of age in the Somali desert" and it looks really good as well. This should be her first book I believe.

Trending