Growing teff to curb starvation and malnutrition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanguard

Fino alla morte
2013-08-23-rTEFFlarge570.jpg

Teff

This Ethiopian grain has been paramount in the country's efforts to combat malnutrition. This grain is used to make injera as well as other staple foods in the country. Teff grains are tiny seeds, the size of poppy seeds – are high in calcium, iron and protein, and boast an impressive set of amino acids. Naturally gluten-free, the grain can substitute for wheat flour in anything from bread and pasta to waffles and pizza bases.

Isn't it time to start farming superfoods in the Somali highlands such as the Golis and Ogo mountains. We could literally copy the Ethiopians, grow tons of this stuff and encourage people to buy this instead of the foreign wheat that is abundant in the markets. Teff also has a long shelf life - up to 2 years. In case of overproduction, the government can easily store the grains and in anticipation of recurring droughts.

What do you guys think? @oday1kenobi @Boqor Geeljire252 @Hemaal @merka and all the regulars in this section

I'm assuming the Somalia/land government actually want to do something about the state of the country, rather than begging the international community for food every year.

Introducing fauna foreign to a country might be a bit risky without proper precautions but it does sound promising :hmm:

Did some googling and this link goes into detail about teff grass management

http://www.kingsagriseeds.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Teff-Grass-Management-Guide.pdf
Teff is a warm season annual grass that requires a frost free growing season. Seed must be planted in the spring after the risk of frost has passed. Soil temperatures atplanting should be at least 65º F and warming.

Hemaal

Jet life till my next life
VIP
Thought about it while back sxb! We can also make laxoox from it, it needs less water and ideal for our climate!

I also know that it grows super fast and can feed people much quicker than any other crop, worth the shot!

Vanguard

Fino alla morte
Introducing fauna foreign to a country might be a bit risky without proper precautions but it does sound promising :hmm:

Did some googling and this link goes into detail about teff grass management

http://www.kingsagriseeds.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Teff-Grass-Management-Guide.pdf

Thats true, but I've read that farmers are growing teff in Israel, Australia and even here in the UK.

1. Palatability - Teff is fine stemmed, leafy and “soft” which is very palatable to livestock. Farmers often report that their livestock prefer Teff hay over other traditional grass hays.
2. Fast Growth - Under optimal growing temperatures and moisture, Teff germinates quickly and is ready for early boot stage harvest in 45 to 55 days after seeding.
3. High Yield Coupled with High Quality - Single cut yields are often in the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 ton range with quality comparable to other high quality forages such as timothy. In multiple cut areas, summer production of 4 to 7 tons is often obtainable.
4. Summer Production - Teff can be planted in late spring and be cut multiple times during the hot summer months. This summer production can provide a source of stored forage for the winter months or fed to bridge the summer slump period of other cool season grass species.
5. Drought Tolerance - In areas without supplemental irrigation, Teff can provide forage during times of water deficit.
6. Wide Adaptation - Teff has the ability to thrive in moisture-stressed and waterlogged soils.

7. Anti-quality Compounds - Teff does not have the anti-quality compounds (nitrate toxicity and prussic acid) that sometimes occur in sorghum-related annuals.
8. Versatility of Harvest - Although in most instances Teff forage is baled as dry hay, it can in some operations be grazed, or ensiled.

Great find btw this highlighted bit reinforces my belief that we could farm this stuff in large quantities.

Vanguard

Fino alla morte
Thought about it while back sxb! We can also make laxoox from it, it needs less water and ideal for our climate!

I also know that it grows super fast and can feed people much quicker than any other crop, worth the shot!

Exactly! Teff farms could also help us combat deforestation by conditioning the soil near the teff farms and expanding them each year.

Hemaal

Jet life till my next life
VIP
One more thing, Somalis are known to be lazy and treshing it is difficult unless we get simple machinery, I doubt they're willing to try

Vanguard

Fino alla morte
One more thing, Somalis are known to be lazy and treshing it is difficult unless we get simple machinery, I doubt they're willing to try

That's why the government needs to support farmers and encouraging them to grow teff. I don't care who's doing it whether it's Somaliland/Puntland/Somalia. We have to start producing our own food and start becoming more self-sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending