Green new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently watching something about the green new deal and I was thinking a similar green new deal idea will literally transform Somalia.
JNncKjs12rSXavaU9

First off climate change is real and we have already seen it’s effect in Somalia with it’s constant droughts and floodings. It’s also a humanitarian crisis that has potential to kill millions of Somalis and displace many. In fact, it already done exactly that many of the IDP’s are displaced because of climate change and we already have seen famines that killed many people. It’s a serious issue enough to be a national security issue in Somalia. Yet, I don’t think Somalia is prepared for it. Plus, in 12 yrs if the world doesn’t do something about it, then it will cause irreversible damage.
People will say that it will cost too much, however, the damage that climate change will cost Somalia will be larger than us being prepared for it. Plus, it will produce jobs and create infrastructure.

Here are the ideas that i think should be included in a green energy deal
1. Building sand dams
2. Bringing electricity to every home using solar power
3. Building roads and maintaining new ones
4. Better waste management
5. Banning plastic
6. Supporting local farmers
7. Cleaning the ocean
8. Protecting local fisherman’s livelyhood
9. Preparations for the next famine and excessive flooding
10. Building factories for food production
11. Etc

Here is why Somalia will benefit from a similar approach to a green new deal
1. It will bring back jobs and create jobs
2. Less piracy and illegal fishing now that we are protecting the local fisherman
3. Less garbage in the street
4. When a famine strikes it will be less disastrous and we will be prepared for it
5. The fish will be safer to eat because it will have less toxic elements in it
6. Safer roads
7.less IDP’s
8. Sustainable/ efficient
9. Somalia’s bread basket will thrive again
10. Industrialization
11. Etc

What do you guys think?
1. Will a similar approach to the green new deal transform Somalia?
2.What else should be added to a green new deal?
3. And what do you think of climate change

The poorest countries which happen to be in the equatorial region will be hit hardest by climate change and the consequences that come with it. While the developed countries that produce most emissions are the least affected by the heat.

That's serious inequality.

The poorest countries which happen to be in the equatorial region will be hit hardest by climate change and the consequences that come with it. While the developed countries that produce most emissions are the least affected by the heat.

That's serious inequality.

That’s actually not true

According to the climate scientists, the poles will warm much faster than the equator. That’s what they said, hence why Canada and Russia would be warming much faster than the rest of the planet.

But nowadays they’ve switched their rhetoric and claim that it’s actually the Equator countries (Africa and South America) that are going to suffer from climate change.

They’re full of shit.

Btw, the environmental damage you see in Somalia is a decades-old problem and is exacerbated by Somalis cutting down trees to make charcoal and then not even replanting new trees. This destroys the soil and literally turns entire forests into deserts. There have been books written about this

You’re not gonna be able to power an industrial economy using solar panels. Let’s be real here

It’s not a coincidence that every country that imposes climate-change energy policies (US, Canada, Britain, etc) have witnessed skyrocketing home prices and energy prices. The price of electricity is through the roof in Ontario and in California especially

You wanna repeat that failure in Somalia? You think it’s a good thing to use millions of acres of Somali land to build some fucking solar panels? How is that good for the planet? What about the millions of tons of metal that you need to dig for in order to build these solar panels? What about the millions of giant batteries you need to store this electricity? Are batteries good for the environment?

Don’t believe these climate change freaks. Yes, the climate is changing. We all know this. Yes, we’re set to have a warming of about 0.5 degrees Celsius over the next century. But is it gonna be catastrophic? Are we supposed to doom billions of Africans and Asians into poverty because of this climate-change hysteria?

People need energy, and if they can’t get it from oil then they’ll cut down trees in order to get that energy. You think burning millions of trees for firewood is good for the planet?

If anything, we’re better off when we use oil. We’re better off using natural gas. Oil wells aren’t even that large, compared to the sheer amount of land you need just to build millions of new solar panels (which is unprofitable and will make electricity costs skyrocket).

That’s actually not true

According to the climate scientists, the poles will warm much faster than the equator. That’s what they said, hence why Canada and Russia would be warming much faster than the rest of the planet.

But nowadays they’ve switched their rhetoric and claim that it’s actually the Equator countries (Africa and South America) that are going to suffer from climate change.

They’re full of shit.

Btw, the environmental damage you see in Somalia is a decades-old problem and is exacerbated by Somalis cutting down trees to make charcoal and then not even replanting new trees. This destroys the soil and literally turns entire forests into deserts. There have been books written about this
In places outside the tropics, where there is greater year-to-year variability and those locations are better adapted to a wide range of temperatures, the warming will be less noticeable.

But in Equatorial regions, where there is already a very high average temperature and less variation through the year, a small rise in temperatures due to climate change will be distinctly felt and have immediate impacts.

Don't forget that richer countries have more purchasing power to be precautionary and limit the damages, while poor countries are fucked.

I'm not saying that Somalia's current irregular climate problem is because of global warming, what I'm saying is that it is going to hit whether we like it or not. And when it happens, we'll be less equipped to deal with the problem than Canada or Russia.

Every single country in the world that developed into a 1st world Industrialized economy did so because of oil and coal.

There’s no exceptions. If we could get rich off solar panels than we’d do it. If factories could just power their machinery using solar panels then they’d do it. But they don’t. Because solar panels are useless and so are windmills.

Somalis need to use their God-given oil to power their growth.

In places outside the tropics, where there is greater year-to-year variability and those locations are better adapted to a wide range of temperatures, the warming will be less noticeable.

But in Equatorial regions, where there is already a very high average temperature and less variation through the year, a small rise in temperatures due to climate change will be distinctly felt and have immediate impacts.

Don't forget that richer countries have more purchasing power to be precautionary and limit the damages, while poor countries are fucked.

I'm not saying that Somalia's current irregular climate problem is because of global warming, what I'm saying is that it is going to hit whether we like it or not. And when it happens, we'll be less equipped to deal with the problem than Canada or Russia.

As if the planet is some static place that doesn’t adapt to changing circumstances. More CO2 in the atmosphere will lead to more vegetation, which means more trees, more crops, more plants.

There’s already substantial evidence that the increase CO2 emissions have created this feedback mechanism where trees (which consume CO2) are growing faster than ever before.

If the Equator sees a TINY increase in temperature over the next 100 years (and I'm talking a fraction of a degree)....then so be it. It is what it is. Africa is not in a position right now to be freaking out about a tiny change in global temperatures. We have millions of people in absolute poverty and they won’t get out of poverty unless they industrialize. And how are you gonna possibly build your growth without using oil? Please explain that to me.

The Earth was warmer in the Medieval Ages than today, yet it’s not like the world fell apart did it? Climates have been rising and falling for thousands of years. We’re gonna be okay

These climate change clowns want to pretend as if the Earth was fine and we all lived in harmony with the planet until the Industrial Revolution started 300 years ago.

That ain’t true at all. Humans have done incredible damage to the environment, and we’ve poached rare wildlife, dumped toxic waste in the oceans, and burned down forests to make firewood. We’ve been doing this for literally thousands of years.

If anything, using oil actually SAVED the planet from much greater damage. Oil wells are small, concentrated, don’t use much land, don’t require entire forests to burn, and extract a lot of energy.

Oil is what allowed us to live in large cities, rather than have millions of humans scattered across the countryside, hurting wildlife and burning trees. Sure, it’s not perfect, but it’s a tradeoff. And we made the tradeoff of using oil since it’s infinitely better than how we used to get energy.

As if the planet is some static place that doesn’t adapt to changing circumstances. More CO2 in the atmosphere will lead to more vegetation, which means more trees, more crops, more plants.

There’s already substantial evidence that the increase CO2 emissions have created this feedback mechanism where trees (which consume CO2) are growing faster than ever before.

If the Equator sees a TINY increase in temperature over the next 100 years (and I'm talking a fraction of a degree)....then so be it. It is what it is. Africa is not in a position right now to be freaking out about a tiny change in global temperatures. We have millions of people in absolute poverty and they won’t get out of poverty unless they industrialize. And how are you gonna possibly build your growth without using oil? Please explain that to me.

The Earth was warmer in the Medieval Ages than today, yet it’s not like the world fell apart did it? Climates have been rising and falling for thousands of years. We’re gonna be okay
I'm not debating climate change because I'm no expert. Though you are correct Africa is not the one who need to cut down on emissions, but the developed countries.

Though we all know that this is not going to happen, so it does not hurt to prepare ourselves for the worst. No one is going to look out for us if things go to hell.

I'm not debating climate change because I'm no expert. Though you are correct Africa is not the one who need to cut down on emissions, but the first world countries.

Though we all know that this is not going to happen, so it does not hurt to prepare ourselves for the worst. No one is going to look out for us if things go to hell.

I guarantee you that if Somalis ditch their diesel tanks in favour of windmills, then we’d be even worse off. Things will indeed go to hell.

Oil is the lifeblood of our modern world. It’s sad that so many people are unaware of this, and who think we can just substitute oil for some solar panels. It’s impossible, hence why even most solar panels/windmills have backup diesel-powered generators. Even the windmills need oil just in case things go wrong

I guarantee you that if Somalis ditch their diesel tanks in favour of windmills, then we’d be even worse off. Things will indeed go to hell.

Oil is the lifeblood of our modern world. It’s sad that so many people are unaware of this, and who think we can just substitute oil for some solar panels. It’s impossible, hence why even most solar panels/windmills have backup diesel-powered generators. Even the windmills need oil just in case things go wrong
Somalia should extract oil. They are not in a position to chose where they get capital.

We should go for wind and solar energy but as a second energy source.

"According to the African Development Bank Group (AfDB), the country has the highest potential of any African country for onshore wind power.

More than 50% of Somalia has wind speeds greater than 6 meters per second, which are excellent for electric energy production. As for solar energy, Somalia gets on average 2,900 to 3,100 hours per year of sunlight and has one of the highest daily averages of total solar radiation in the world."

It would be stupid to not take advantage of that. It's not either or, we can diversify.

So we should exploit Oil reserves and fight desertification. If Somalia did become more industrialised in the future as a result ,would you advocate for diversification of energy resources or not?
Somalia should extract oil. They are not in a position to chose where they get capital.

We should go for wind and solar energy but as a second energy source.

"According to the African Development Bank Group (AfDB), the country has the highest potential of any African country for onshore wind power.

More than 50% of Somalia has wind speeds greater than 6 meters per second, which are excellent for electric energy production. As for solar energy, Somalia gets on average 2,900 to 3,100 hours per year of sunlight and has one of the highest daily averages of total solar radiation in the world."

It would be stupid to not take advantage of that. It's not either or, we can diversify.
Agree.Diversification reduces risk to energy security caused by changes in supply and demand in the markets.

Completely agree. We should diversify Somalia’s energy sources once the country becomes industrialized. Hydroelectricity can be very efficient, nuclear energy is also extremely efficient. Oil, nuclear and hydro should be the main sources of energy. I’m not a big believer in solar electricity, since the environmental damage from building millions of batteries/solar panels exceed whatever potential benefit you might get from using it

Tukraq

VIP
Climate change like overpopulation is an overrated fear that some push to make money, the weather has changed like zero percent since the 90s and the ozone layer is almost completely restored

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending