Grammar

I am writing couple books for kids in somali and I am always searching online for stuff. I do have a somali dictionary but I am not sure how to say grammar in somali? I search google translate and it says naxwaha.
Naxwa soo af carabi ma aha?
I would appreciate if someone can help thanks πŸ™

I am writing couple books for kids in somali and I am always searching online for stuff. I do have a somali dictionary but I am not sure how to say grammar in somali? I search google translate and it says naxwaha.
Naxwa soo af carabi ma aha?
I would appreciate if someone can help thanks πŸ™
Masha'Allah, well done.
It is 'naxwa' [study of, and use of*], or 'qawaacid <= gaacidah' [syntactic rules], both of which are of Arabic extraction, and I am on the view if a borrowed Arabic word is being used, or is available, then we may use it. The same way 'grammar <= grammatica' is Latin, and is being adopted by almost all Indo-European languages.

* The rules about how words change their form, and combine with other words to form sentences, and meaning.

Postscript:
Have you thought about translating fables by:
a) Aesop, and
b) Luqman al Hakim.

Adjunct:
I would love to see / read those stories / books.

Best of luck.

Masha'Allah, well done.
It is 'naxwa' [study of, and use of*], or 'qawaacid <= gaacidah' [syntactic rules], both of which are of Arabic extraction, and I am on the view if a borrowed Arabic word is being used, or is available, then we may use it. The same way 'grammar <= grammatica' is Latin, and is being adopted by almost all Indo-European languages.

* The rules about how words change their form, and combine with other words to form sentences, and meaning.

Postscript:
Have you thought about translating fables by:
a) Aesop, and
b) Luqman al Hakim.

Adjunct:
I would love to see / read those stories / books.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the response walaal! I asked here because google translate is not πŸ’― reliable.
I did print couple of books for personal. The prophet stories and stories for kids that I translated to somali for my kids. I am thinking of selling some as well inshallah in the near future.
So for a title, for a grammar book; I can write Naxwaha af Soomaaliga ama qaawaacidka af soomaaliga?

I did print couple of books for personal. The prophet stories and stories for kids that I translated to somali for my kids. I am thinking of selling some as well inshallah in the near future.
I am very happy for you, walaal, and wishing you all the best. Let me know when the books hit the stands, as I am sure my nieces and nephews would love them.
So for a title, for a grammar book; I can write Naxwaha af Soomaaliga ama qaawaacidka af soomaaliga?
Application of 'definite articles' with nouns in Somali is a pet beef of mine, and for a book title, would prefer:
  • Naxwe af Soomaali || Af Soomaali: Naxwe
* The grammar of the Somali language vs Somali language grammar

Oh how I wish Gaariye was still alive, and you could have had a conversation with him.

-----------
I hardly use google, for it begets, if speeds up loss of knowledge retention whilst helping with the spread of falsities, and manufactured mastery. I digress!

Last edited:
I am very happy for you, walaal, and wishing you all the best. Let me know when the books hit the stands, as I am sure my nieces and nephews would love them.

Application of 'definite articles' with nouns in Somali is a pet beef of mine, and for a book title, would prefer:
  • Naxwe af Soomaali || Af Soomaali: Naxwe
* The grammar of the Somali language vs Somali language grammar

Oh how I wish Gaariye was still alive, and you could have had a conversation with him.

-----------
I hardly use google, for it begets, if speeds up loss of knowledge retention whilst helping with the spread of falsities, and manufactured mastery. I digress!
I like your suggestion, I will use it. Waad mahadsantahay!
Gaariye ma maqal waligey miyuu gabyaa? Magaciisa oo dhamaystiran soo qor fadlan.

For Somali grammar, I recommend you this book. It is entirely written in Somali for Somalis.
It is written by Somali linguistic Mansuur and Italian woman. You can find on Amazon.
D2C104BA-4F33-4DD8-A47B-78BB207D4B61.jpeg

Trending

Latest posts