Going to Africa in the summer

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
They will make fun of and think you are retarded if you can't speak somali fluently. And will treat you like a small child. You will also stand out from the locals even if you wear clothes that locals wear. The home food in somalia will taste bad or plain so you will lose weight. Be prepared for major down grade for living standards.
Hopefully being there will improve my Somali

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
Practice your geeljire walk. You don’t have to wear scruffy clothes, but just try to copy the local style. Have good posture (curved backs are the number one sign of a Hooyo Mataalo). Don’t take your smartphone out if you’re going to walk, it’s going to get stolen (dunno about the rest of Somalia, but in Hargeisa, it will). And most important of all, if you’re in the market, buying items, DO NOT TALK. Even with a fluent Somali accent, they can still pick up on your Westerness and will extort you. Let others do the haggling for you.

But anyways, have fun and explore. You’ll come across loads of hilarious madlads and gain a valuable experience. If you’re lacking in Somali, try to practice as much as you can.
Thank you, but one question. If my somali accent was perfect how would they be able to pick up on the fact that I’m from the west.

Based

VIP
Saying thank you is taboo?????????
Somalians are naturally rude people who arent used to kindness. Show a bit of respect or kindness and they will take advantage of you like a packs of wild monkeys. Dont show your innocence to these people son

Based

VIP
Thank you, but one question. If my somali accent was perfect how would they be able to pick up on the fact that I’m from the west.
The way you dress and the way you look. These people are like hawks. They instantly spot you are diaspora. I dont know the feeling of being called out but I have siblings who like you came to Somalia this is just what they tell me :francis:

They will make fun of and think you are retarded if you can't speak somali fluently. And will treat you like a small child. You will also stand out from the locals even if you wear clothes that locals wear. The home food in somalia will taste bad or plain so you will lose weight. Be prepared for major down grade for living standards.
Plain food??? Nah that’s cap. When I was in SL the food was so delicious and fresh tasting. The ingredients are natural and not filled with GMO and hormones like in here so I did lose weight even though I was eating good. I still think about the food sometimes..even basic basto iyo sugo had such great flavour

Plain food??? Nah that’s cap. When I was in SL the food was so delicious and fresh tasting. The ingredients are natural and not filled with GMO and hormones like in here so I did lose weight even though I was eating good. I still think about the food sometimes..even basic basto iyo sugo had such great flavour
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Saying thank you is taboo?????????

Look bro you do you, but one thing that shocked me when I went there is that 'mahadsanid' is a word you will never hear. You do someone a favour or help them out, what do you expect as courtesy...thank you right? Somali maxamed aa ka sugin sxb.

Bro enjoy Somalia...its your real home, your motherland so it will be a mad experience seeing everyone around you being Somali and speaking the language.

Act how you want, but don't take things too personal if they laugh at your somali just ignore it and keep practicing...just be social, somalis love that.

Just have fun and just enjoy the experience.

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
Look bro you do you, but one thing that shocked me when I went there is that 'mahadsanid' is a word you will never hear. You do someone a favour or help them out, what do you expect as courtesy...thank you right? Somali maxamed aa ka sugin sxb.

Bro enjoy Somalia...its your real home, your motherland so it will be a mad experience seeing everyone around you being Somali and speaking the language.

Act how you want, but don't take things too personal if they laugh at your somali just ignore it and keep practicing...just be social, somalis love that.

Just have fun and just enjoy the experience.
Thank you sxb, I have a problem with overthinking but inshallah the trip will go good and I will learn more about my true home

drink fresh camel milk nighly if you can , cold if you can its called dhaaay

when you walk in to a store say : caano qabow oo dhay ah I sii

Trending