Going back to university

Siddhartha

future pirate king
VIP
Hi i am going back to university to a masters in data analytics after working for two years as a data analyst.

I was wondering if you had any tips for studying again after taking a 3 year break from university?

Siddhartha

future pirate king
VIP
Have u tried online courses?

Yes as a matter of fact i already know ~ 70% of the course material i will be studying. But i need the qualification on my CV as a i am trying to break into the data science industry. My previous role was data analyst/data engineering.

Yes as a matter of fact i already know ~ 70% of the course material i will be studying. But i need the qualification on my CV as a i am trying to break into the data science industry. My previous role was data analyst/data engineering.

don't they have value (online degrees)?

Siddhartha

future pirate king
VIP
wow, have u tried coursera, tedx, skillshare apps

Haha yes but those courses are very high level in regards to the subject. i have an inquisitive mind and always seek deeper explanations which turns into deep google searches.

A degree will be useful in terms of structure.

Haha yes but those courses are very high level in regards to the subject. i have an inqusitive mind and always seek deeper explanations which turns into deep google searches.

You know unnecessary degrees they drill black hole in ur pocket

Haha yes but those courses are very high level in regards to the subject. i have an inquisitive mind and always seek deeper explanations which turns into deep google searches.

I recommend u this book winning through intimidation by Robert Ringer

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP

What did u learn from your job about Data Analytics. If you can't demonstrate the knowledge u alreay have why pursue more since it just leads to nothingness. Unless you can explain data science and how it's applied in the workplace and what the objectives are for such tool and the physics behind it since they would have to be using something 'physical' to support their field it's not 'magic' from thin air but maybe you do believe that lol.

Are u doing the job because of market opportunities or is it a 'passion', I respect both sides of the philosophy. Some jobs are not your passion but u need to do it in order to be financially free in order to pursue your passions, where-as some jobs are indeed someone passion and if it is, well he will be talking about 24/7 or else it's not and his FAKING IT TO MAKE IT.

That's why Rich people do their 'normal job' but they have 'philantrophy' that stuff is their passion the philanthrophy or volunteering but it's not where they seek their bread from. I have done jobs I do because of market opportunities and potential salary not because I enjoyed it. But I also have my philantrophy things that I enjoy like philosophy, religion, politics, history, and mental health. See those things won't get me my 'bread' which I understand so I reserve it away for the future in volunteering capacity after I made my money while I concentrate on 'money making' now even though I don't enjoy the field I work in.

Last edited:
Hi i am going back to university to a masters in data analytics after working for two years as a data analyst.

I was wondering if you had any tips for studying again after taking a 3 year break from university?

Hi, just a couple of queries.

Would you recommend Maths or Engineering as a bachelor's degree to get into data mining/analytics?

How did you get into data analytics? What qualifications did you have?

Is it a growing field or has it been saturated now?

Siddhartha

future pirate king
VIP
What did u learn from your job about Data Analytics. If you can't demonstrate the knowledge u alreay have why pursue more since it just leads to nothingness. Unless you can explain data science and how it's applied in the workplace and what the objectives are for such tool and the physics behind it since they would have to be using something 'physical' to support their field it's not 'magic' from thin air but maybe you do believe that lol.

Are u doing the job because of market opportunities or is it a 'passion', I respect both sides of the philosophy. Some jobs are not your passion but u need to do it in order to be financially free in order to pursue your passions, where-as some jobs are indeed someone passion and if it is, well he will be talking about 24/7 or else it's not and his FAKING IT TO MAKE IT.

That's why Rich people do their 'normal job' but they have 'philantrophy' that stuff is their passion the philanthrophy or volunteering but it's not where they seek their bread from. I have done jobs I do because of market opportunities and potential salary not because I enjoyed it. But I also have my philantrophy things that I enjoy like philosophy, religion, politics, history, and mental health. See those things won't get me my 'bread' which I understand so I reserve it away for the future in volunteering capacity after I made my money while I concentrate on 'money making' now even though I don't enjoy the field I work in.

Through my job i have learnt how to present data to stakeholders. How to analyse it to find meaningful patters, how to convey it etc.

I am doing this degree mostly for passion as i believe we are currently in a new age where data is gold and the potential with data is limitless, you can help predict cancer at a faster rate than doctors, predict natural disasters. Optimise hospitals.

Hi, just a couple of queries.

Would you recommend Maths or Engineering as a bachelor's degree to get into data mining/analytics?

How did you get into data analytics? What qualifications did you have?

Is it a growing field or has it been saturated now?

Hi,

If you can try to get into a statistics degree because data science is heavily stats based. Even though we use linear algebra for matrix multiplication and mutlivariate calculus for finding minimum of functions its more stats than maths.

I had a degree in business economics which gave me an insight into basic regression analysis and from there on i was really interested into data.

During my final year i learnt alot of sql and started applying for data analyst jobs and got lucky.

Started learning programming and doing side projects and here i am now.

Its defintely a growing field. Data is being generated at an exponential rate and there are not enough skilled people to draw meaningful insights from it.

Last edited:

Trending