Going Back to School

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchBishopofAtheism

Intellectual saqajaan
I dropped out of uni in 2010 in favor of working in trades. I've been doing that ever since and I'm worried it will get monotonous many years down the road. I briefly studied sociology as a prereq for psychology at U of M. I'm changing course completely. I'm doing power engineering in Calgary (SAIT). Yes it's a trade but you never run out of work, the pay is insane and it's a relatively clean job compared to other trades I've done (welding, scaffolding and rig driving).

It's a 5 year program so I'll be finished when I'm 32. Wish me luck children. Is anyone else doing a major course correction?

xisaabiye

Ibnu Suxuufi Ibnu Al Dhoobe
I dropped out of uni in 2010 in favor of working in trades. I've been doing that ever since and I'm worried it will get monotonous many years down the road. I briefly studied sociology as a prereq for psychology at U of M. I'm changing course completely. I'm doing power engineering in Calgary (SAIT). Yes it's a trade but you never run out of work, the pay is insane and it's a relatively clean job compared to other trades I've done (welding, scaffolding and rig driving).

It's a 5 year program so I'll be finished when I'm 32. Wish me luck children. Is anyone else doing a major course correction?

SAITS a good technical school. Power engineers make a killing & usually work for oil & gas companies. I always thought it was much shorter, like 6 month certificate programs for each level of power engineering

ArchBishopofAtheism

Intellectual saqajaan
SAITS a good technical school. Power engineers make a killing & usually work for oil & gas companies. I always thought it was much shorter, like 6 month certificate programs for each level of power engineering
Yeah it is broken down into practical training and class room. It's 5 years total but it's like an apprenticeship. You can leave after 3 or 4 years but I will stay all 5.

Didn't you say you were an Electrical Engineer couple months ago that enjoyed building circuits ? :russ:

All the power to you, I have nothing against Somalis that are trying to better their lives through means of education.

yasmin lan

Satans step daughter
Great idea I like that you changed paths after such a while I’ll think about doing that inshallah

ArchBishopofAtheism

Intellectual saqajaan
I'm deeply interested in law but I can't imagine being a lawyer and lying daily for murderers or the government. I also don't think 9 years in law school is a good investment.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
I did make a change myself back in 2014 from Network Analyst to Software Engineering,
doubled my salary thanks to this change.:diddyass:

I'm deeply interested in law but I can't imagine being a lawyer and lying daily for murderers or the government. I also don't think 9 years in law school is a good investment.
Well to be honest, the future is looking bleak for young lawyers looking to get hired by big firms, at least in my province. It's not easy securing a job but one thing is guaranteed: you'll be left with some debt to pay off.

Of course, you could always go for the degree and get a non traditional job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending