Gedo Mental Health Unit

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I like the 'approach' of Mental Health in Gedo. It's open and your not 'locked' up in a building like the western world, this is very scary when your locked up in a building with other people who are not normal themselves. I like how they 're-enforce' your not 'sick' or 'permanetely' damaged in Somalia, in western system, they treat you like you are no HOPE left and they 'dismiss' you and anything you say. The STIGMA isn't as bad about 'waali' as it is in the WEST. Stigma is the worst part of mental health process when you feel you will be judged for it for the rest of your life. In Somalia they accept u back str8 away once your NORMAL AGAIN. This is quite important.

I also like the open-ness, fresh air. As a person with experience in western mental health system for 5 years now, maybe Somalis will actually ACCEPT my views on this one. Keep up the TRADITIONAL WAY. WAX DHAAMO WELI MA ARAG ANIGU

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
This is definitely one group of people I will visit in Somalia, just for 'curosity' sake to find out what type of illness they have and their recovery rate and compare it to the SHOCKING western one I saw. I use to see ppl who where 70 and were diagnosed at 15, who have been in and out of hospital like a revolving door, this is called RELAPSE and it's very high in the west.

I would love to see what their relapse rate is like in Somalia, I bet it's very low. They seem like a people hal mar wax ku dhaca, wayna ka gudban. I can't confirm this but I am talking about at 'bigger picture scale' here like 'percentage wise' of how many are cured compared to relapse types. This will tell me what works and what doesn't.

Trending