Gathering and collection of historical somali documents and photographs

hess5.jpg

In 1908 the mullah iyo beelaha ayaa is af garan waayey, thats when some OG and some majeerteen, and some dhulbahante defected. Intaas waxi ka horeyey dagaallodi wey ka qeyb qaadanhayeen. And many more to come wey ka qeyb qaadteen. Abshir dhoore continued the struggle for 20 more years before he was martyred AUN.

Somali Mullah.
HC Deb 11 December 1912 vol 45 cc442-3442
§36.Sir J. D. REES
asked the Secretary of State for the Colonies whether the Somali Mullah has occupied Bohotleh and Kalkayo; and whether any of the Somali clans are joining the Mullah's standard?
§The SECRETARY Of STATE for the COLONIES (Mr. Harcourt)
From information recently received from the Commissioner, it appears that Bohotleh is occupied by the Mullah, and that a few of the Dolbahanta and a section of the Gadwein tribes have joined him. I have no information as to Kaikyo.

Hayes sadler
Fardhidin
The strength of the force Lieutenant-Colonel Swayne attacked is not stated, but it is reported that the Mullah's Mijjertein riflemen were present in considerable numbers. This shows that he has succeeded in enlisting the aid of the Mijjertein tribes, hostile to Yusuf Ali, on the eastern borders of the Dolbahanta, and it is to the rifle fire of these men that our casualties are principally due. I regret to have to report that Captain Friedrichs, R. E., was killed in these Operations In him the Service loses a valuable and experienced officer. He met his death in the Performance of a gallant action. Our other casualties were Lieutenant Dickinson, severe flesh wound in the middle of left thigh, and nine of the levy killed, and sixteen wounded. No other British officers were hurt, and the wounded are all reported to be doing well. I do not quite understand Lieutenant-Colonel Swayne's allusions to my despatches to him. The first that reached him was evidently the despatch I wrote on the 5th July, informing him of the Instructions contained in your Lordship's telegram of the 25th June. In the second I wrote that if he had not already left Bohotele to return to Burao he should now do so; and with regard to the Nogal Valley, I said that no Operations should now be undertaken there or elsewhere. I can, however, quite understand that when Lieutenant-Colonel Swayne came up with the Mullah's rear-guard at Cour Girad he felt himself bound to go on. He could not have done otherwise . It will be observed that Mahmud Girad, the powerful tribe occupying the northern Dolbahanta, joined the expedition, but would not face the Mullah's rifles. This is typical of the Situation throughout; the tribes are powerless against the Mullah's rifles. Consul-General Sadler's despatch to Lord Salisbury

“On getting this news I moved my force from Bohotele via Yaheyl and Weyla Hedd to Firdiddin, and attacked the Mullah at later place. The Mullah's Mijjertein rifelmen were in considerable strength with Lebel and Martini-henry rifles. His force were however scattered, and he himself was driven back into Italian territory.The Mijjertein lost heavily, and also the Mullah's own family. His brother-in-law, Gaibdeed, was killed, as well as two sons-in-law, Haji Sudi's brother and nephews, &c. Sultan Nur's camels and the Mullah's cattle were captured. The pursuit was carried on into the bush in the Haud” Command Papers volume 69 1902.Page 15

"During the night march we had seen several
big bonfires on the neighbouring hills, and at
one time we feared that the Mullah might
have got the alarm. It transpired that he had
heard about the Mahmud Gerard being " out,"
and had been told that they were coming to
attack him, but he had heard nothing about
the movements of our force. Now when our
mounted troops went on ahead at dawn, these
Mahmud Gerard, all of whom had ponies,
■dashed forward with the Camel Corps and
Mounted Infantry, and went towards where
the Mullah's Karia was. His men were,

In Pursuit of

however, ready for them, and opened fire,
whereupon these valiant raiders turned tail
and bolted as hard as their horses could lay
legs to the ground, nor did we see them again
that day. Our mounted troops had now to
face the fire of several hundred riflemen, and
as they were only about a hundred all told,
it was more than they could do to hold the
enemy back, emboldened as they were by the
flight of the Mahmud Gerard. Whether they
would have waited for the latter had they
known that even a hundred of our troops were
coming, is another matter — probably not, and
most certainly not had they known that our
whole force was so close up.

Be that as it may, when they saw that the
Mahmud Gerard had bolted and that none
of our Infantry were then in sight — the
mounted troops having pressed on very
rapidly since daylight — they probably thought
that this was merely a scouting or raiding
party sent on by us to help the Mahmud
Gerard. The enemy (who were said to have
about 6cx) riflemen) then opened a heavy fire

the " Mad " Mullah

on our people, who dismounted and held out
as long as they could, but were eventually
forced to retreat towards the spur which
the Mullah's men afterwards held."

"Hearing of the Mullah's return to British territory, Colonel
Swayne left Bohotleh on 9th July to attack him ; and on the
evening of 16th July we find the force at Kur Gerad about to
make an early morning attack on the Mullah, the latter being
in position with a large force, ' including over six hundred rifle-
men,
at Fir-Diddin [aka Fardhidin]."

@Teeri-Alpha look at this. We were no meager allies. The riflemen of firdhidin 1901-1902 were said to be 600 mostly majeerteen(omar mahmoud). He doesnt even bother saying what other tribes were in that particular regiment. Waana dagaal qur ah ogow. Imagine the thousands aan u hurney dhulka somaliyed from the genesis to the end.

Somali Mullah.
HC Deb 11 December 1912 vol 45 cc442-3442
§36.Sir J. D. REES
asked the Secretary of State for the Colonies whether the Somali Mullah has occupied Bohotleh and Kalkayo; and whether any of the Somali clans are joining the Mullah's standard?
§The SECRETARY Of STATE for the COLONIES (Mr. Harcourt)
From information recently received from the Commissioner, it appears that Bohotleh is occupied by the Mullah, and that a few of the Dolbahanta and a section of the Gadwein tribes have joined him. I have no information as to Kaikyo.
Gadwein3.jpg
gadwein4.jpg
gadwein1.jpg
gadwein2.jpg

Unfortunalely, the Habr Yunis, who, it will be remembered, gave the Mullah his first looting in Ishak territory, but are now against him, and the Aidagalleh(Cidagalle) have complicated matters by fighting the Rer Ali & Rer Haroun(Reer Isaaq) over the Daror water. The fight was big one, and over 100 are said to have been killed on each side. The Habr Yunis also lost a quantity of their livestock. Daror is outside our territory in the treaties ceded to Abbysinia. Our tribes have always watered there, and for years have been in an almost chronic state of warfare with the Rer Ali & Rer Haroun(Reer Isaaq).

Papers by command, Volume 48
Great Britain. Parliament. House of Commons

eeHE3.png

(Needs to be confirmed)
Apparently yall use to stretch from berbera.
@Teeri-Alpha

Trending