Futuh al-Habasha: Somalis As Bedouins

Garaad Awal

Zubeyri, Hanafi Maturidi
The Southern Ethiosemitic loans in Somali aren't solidly attributed to Harari or at all to Argobba,
I don't believe Hararis have anything to do with the Harla. The Hararis are medieval migrants from a Sidamic inhabited region
which are the ones you'd want if it really came from Southern Ethiosemites who were theoretically in our territories as some like to think.
Since when was the region extending from Shewa to Harar your territory (I presume you mean Somaloid)? Even from a historical perspective the Ifat state from modern SL "conquered" the Shewan Sultanate. Somalis are ethnic outsiders to the region and I presume the Harla even during the time of the Futuh held some sort of resentment toward Somalis
It's also not really dated and could have entered the Northern Somali dialects at any point, from what I know. Finally, what the Futuh shows (them not really seeming to appear in it or having any tribal connections with the Harla tribes mentioned) along with the utter lack of Southern Ethiosemitic genetic influences in Northwestern Somalis and what Alchemist points out about the archaeology really put a lot of dents in the idea that they somehow predated us in those areas or were there from very early on alongside us.
The Ethio-Semitic loanwords in NS are exclusively South Ethio-Semitic and we have no idea what people of Shewa & Harar were genetically like during this time period as there have been many migrations since (Oromo & Northern Horner migrations via Abysinnia)
As for Harari in particular, I was not joking about how they seem to get their word for "city" itself from Somalis. Do you know what they historically called an entry way into Harar?

V2jWkWY.jpeg

source: British Policy in ethiopia 1909-17 by Andrew Caplan
Hararis have a Sidamic substratum, I believe they are migrants who fled the advances of the Waaqist Oromos in the 16th century.
"Faras Magala"

It is, in my humble opinion, plausible that Somalis settled them into the town as the Nur Ibn Mujahid stories
That's possible as I agree they have nothing to do with the Harar region

Actually, we have records of Somalis mentioning Harlas and Harlas constructing things like towns and wells as far as Sanaag and Bari, walaal.
I would like to see some evidence of this. As far as I'm aware, Sool & Sanaag are what the chronicler describes as "the country of the Somalis". Which is where Mr.Hiraabu fled too (toward the Hawiyes) when the Marexaan killed a messenger of the Walashma puppet Sultan

I would like to see some evidence of this. As far as I'm aware, Sool & Sanaag are what the chronicler describes as "the country of the Somalis". Which is where Mr.Hiraabu fled too (toward the Hawiyes) when the Marexaan killed a messenger of the Walashma puppet Sultan
He feared the Imam's retribution during a critical junction, hence hiding among the Imam's extended kinsmen. An envoy from the Imam and some sharifs along with them arrived at Hawiye country where mediation took place and Goita Tederous was spared, but relieved from his duty by bringing his nephew in his place to lead his subclan into war.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I don't believe Hararis have anything to do with the Harla. The Hararis are medieval migrants from a Sidamic inhabited region

Then you're not making much sense to me, walaal. If they were not ancestral Hararis or Argobbas then what? Those are the only Ethiosemitic groups they could have been, to be honest. Unless you think they were Muslim Amharas which there is no indication of anywhere that I know of.

Since when was the region extending from Shewa to Harar your territory (I presume you mean Somaloid)? Even from a historical perspective the Ifat state from modern SL "conquered" the Shewan Sultanate. Somalis are ethnic outsiders to the region and I presume the Harla even during the time of the Futuh held some sort of resentment toward Somalis

I didn't say anything about Shewa. I am saying that the area immediately surrounding Harar ("Hararghe") which until just a hundred years ago was surrounded and inhabited by Somalis seems to have first been inhabited by those same Somalis' ancestors rather than any other group. And you're really going to have to explain away why when Enrico Cerulli studied the Harlas' language he found they spoke their own unique "dialect" of Somali and didn't seem to notice any Semitic substratum and also why the Harlas who have so far been found, including the ones among Afars, seem to show Somali genealogical origins. Alongside the final fact that Galbeed and Woqooyi Somalis don't look any genetically different from Somalis in Bari or Koonfur; there's no notable Ethiosemitic influence outside of the very rare person who actually can attribute it to a recent known ancestor like a great grandma. The "they were Ethiosemites" case really is faulty at this point, walaal.

Also, I don't think much of this whole Adal/Ifat debate. The terms are not used in the Futuh and, as controversial as this will seem, I don't think there ever actually was some giant polity that ruled from Woqooyi to Galbeed (counting Harar environs in the latter) and Shewa. You don't really get this impression from reading the Futuh, in my humble opinion. My wager is that the region was always as decentralized as it looks in Burton's writings and that is the impression the Futuh gives me as well.

No, walaal. You are terribly mistaken. The "country of the Somalis" in the Futuh is very plainly the northwestern Somali coast around areas like modern day Awdal and Woqooyi Galbeed. First of all, it feels like the whole section of my cut up post where I outline the Somali tribes in the area went completely over your head:

Section in question

The reason I outlined all of this is because it shows clearly that, contrary to what some readers of this book such as Drobbah over at Anthrogenica used to believe for some reason, the Somalis are not outsiders at all. These are literally the exact same tribes who live in and around Harar and Galbeed during the 1800s and during the 1990s and right now. The Futuh lists out the exact same tribes as living near Harar and the only tribe that is an exception are the Harti and the author, unlike with any other tribe, takes the time to mention they are from around Maydh to the far east in what is now Sanaag. He does not associate any other tribe with such a far away location.

And then if you read the Futuh you can tell that the "country of the Somalis" is a close-by place to Harar and where all the action between the Muslims and Christians is taking place as outlined below years ago in more detail:

Past Anthrogenica post

Drobbah at Anthrogenica had the same outlandish and weird misconception as you and thought all the Somalis were all the way in Sanaag and Bari for some reason and coming from there but then that's clearly not the case. 99% of the tribes involved in the conflict are tribes like Geri Kombe, Gurgura, Bartire, Barsuuk, Samaroon, Habar Magaadle (probably mostly Habar Awals), Hawiyes (Karanle, presumably), Mareexaan... these are all Galbeed tribes who literally still live in that same area 300 years later and now. What the Futuh actually very beautifully shows is Somali tribal continuity in and around the Galbeed-Hararghe area for about 500 years.

Read it, I implore you. Notice how close the country of the Somalis appears and that these are Galbeed tribes except for one that the author takes time to tell us are from a place to the east. Keep reading that Anthrogenica thread as well, I believe it's also pointed correctly that most of the warring is clearly taking place in the interior of the Horn and that the Imam and many of the tribes fighting alongside him, including many of the Somali ones, are interior people given this quote:

[The Arabs and the soldiers from Oman build rafts] The imam then assembled all the sharifs, with the Arabs and those from the Magreb, and other from Mahra. He said to them: ‘We know only open country and mountains. The sea is your livelihood; you know what concerns it. So now, let us hear your opinion. What would you do in this situation?’ They replied, ‘We need some pieces of thick wood; then watch what wc do.' So the imam commanded the soldiers to bring all the pieces of wood. They gathered together for him a vast quantity of wood, and laid it down by the shore of the lake.​

This is all taking place in the interior of the Horn and the "Somali country" by the sea is basically Awdal and Woqooyi.

As for your proof regarding the Dhulos and Harla claim:

They were seemingly everywhere from Galbeed to Bari...

Last edited:

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
Ciise incorporated Harla. Let's keep it educational and professional. It's not a good look if people try to use Somali history and section it to what clan can claim what history. It's small-minded and petty.
No qabil talk rn.

Just cool that ciise got some harla in them. We wuz :childplease:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Mashallah you guys really know your stuff. I can say it's been enlightening reading this stuff for the last couple of years since I've had my suspicions too. My question is why is the historiography so full of bull shit. I mean if you think about its illogical to attribute everything to these mythical ethiosemetic groups when the modern pouplations are so non-existent. The holes are way too big . Why is there barely any premodern ethiopian literature that is not bible commentaries ? Why is there no urbanism in medieval ethiopia? Why doesn't the historical record mention these southern ethiosemetic groups ? When compared to the fact that every pre19th century source shows the continuity between us and premodern somalis in customs and etymologies. Is it really just colonial erasure ? @Shimbiris @The alchemist

I honestly don't know, walaal. When it comes to cadaans it's perhaps a mixed bag. Some are honest for the most part or on and off not necessarily biased toward Somalis like Cerulli who could have easily concealed the Harla linguistic information but he didn't. He also, if I recall correctly, read manuscripts from Harar on the origins of Nur Ibn Mujahid and was honest there too. So with cadaans it's a mixed bag of downplaying Somalis probably cos we're Muslim and not Semitic speakers to sometimes actually being fairly objective scholars and I don't think too many of them wrote about or directly read the Futuh anyway.

It's mostly the Ethiopian authors who have me completely baffled. I don't know what to say, to be honest. A lot of them either have serious reading comprehension issues or are, forgive me, outright lying. I've seen Xabashi sources claim the Futuh talks all about Argobbas and Hararis in length and mentions them as important and I was dumbfounded when I read it cos neither group ever comes up... you could maybe make some leap that the tribes of places like Sawa (Shewa) is referring to them (and these aren't even a necessarily important bunch at all) but beyond that... the ethnic names are never mentioned and I've seen other sources including clearly Xabashi wiki writings claim that so and so Harari tribes appear in the Futuh as Harla tribes and I'll compare the names to the Harla tribes actually mentioned in the Futuh and be like "???" there's zero overlap. I don't know.

Sometimes I feel like there was one original liar or propagandist and they're all just referencing him or that group as secondary sources and being misled because a lot of the false info they spread is repetitive and I've seen cadaan and Somali scholars reference the same nonsense. But I don't know, that Ethiopian scholar regarding the Imam's supposed Afar or half Afar origins is a good example. The strange claims he makes like assuming the Malassai are an ethnicity... I often find myself thinking "Did they read the book or are they just lying?" I do think a case can be made for deliberate bad faith actors.

That being said, I truly don't even think anything I've outlined or done is all that remarkable at all. Anyone properly reading the book slowly and carefully would come to similar conclusions. Like what Drobbah said years ago regarding Somalis being "mercenaries" and "outsiders" from far to the east. I bet he got that from some Xabashi source because I've seen stuff like that around among their sources and, again, like 10 mins of reading some passages and it hits you; these are mostly Galbeed tribes and the "Country of the Somalis" by the sea is waaaay too close to Harar, Bali and the frontiers between the Muslims and Christians to be Sanaag or Sool or Bari. Not to mention that the tribe he chases to their territory by the sea are the SAMAROON (Habar Maqdi). It's Awdal, for God's sake! Not to mention, the book never refers to Somalis as mercenaries or outsiders or gives you that impression. It's so weird, wallahi.

Last edited:
I dont necessarily blame them for accepting the scholarship even I didn't really question the narrative. I just wondered where were the somalis since it seemed illogical that the 3rd largest group who occupies 60% of the horn are nowhere to be found. I will say their scribal tradition is the only thing I can't make sense of. How did they maintain one with a lack of towns and cities. I don't want to go schizo and question everything, but after I read an article yesterday about the zera yacqob forgery controversy. I'm side eyeing their manuscripts too my sucsicpico is that it's more like the west african one where it doesn't really predate the 16th century by much. At times it even seems like somali poetry is more sophisticated than anything written in amharic. Although one person I do somewhat blame is that Richard Parkhurst guy.

NidarNidar

Punisher
I honestly don't know, walaal. When it comes to cadaans it's perhaps a mixed bag. Some are honest for the most part or on and off not necessarily biased toward Somalis like Cerulli who could have easily concealed the Harla linguistic information but he didn't. He also, if I recall correctly, read manuscripts from Harar on the origins of Nur Ibn Mujahid and was honest there too. So with cadaans it's a mixed bag of downplaying Somalis probably cos we're Muslim and not Semitic speakers to sometimes actually being fairly objective scholars and I don't think too many of them wrote about or directly read the Futuh anyway.

It's mostly the Ethiopian authors who have me completely baffled. I don't know what to say, to be honest. A lot of them either have serious reading comprehension issues or are, forgive me, outright lying. I've seen Xabashi sources claim the Futuh talks all about Argobbas and Hararis in length and mentions them as important and I was dumbfounded when I read it cos neither group ever comes up... you could maybe make some leap that the tribes of places like Sawa (Shewa) is referring to them (and these aren't even a necessarily important bunch at all) but beyond that... the ethnic names are never mentioned and I've seen other sources including clearly Xabashi wiki writings claim that so and so Harari tribes appear in the Futuh as Harla tribes and I'll compare the names to the Harla tribes actually mentioned in the Futuh and be like "???" there's zero overlap. I don't know.

Sometimes I feel like there was one original liar or propagandist and they're all just referencing him or that group as secondary sources and being misled because a lot of the false info they spread is repetitive and I've seen cadaan and Somali scholars reference the same nonsense. But I don't know, that Ethiopian scholar regarding the Imam's supposed Afar or half Afar origins is a good example. The strange claims he makes like assuming the Malassai are an ethnicity... I often find myself thinking "Did they read the book or are they just lying?" I do think a case can be made for deliberate bad faith actors.

That being said, I truly don't even think anything I've outlined or done is all that remarkable at all. Anyone properly reading the book slowly and carefully would come to similar conclusions. Like what Drobbah said years ago regarding Somalis being "mercenaries" and "outsiders" from far to the east. I bet he got that from some Xabashi source because I've seen stuff like that around among their sources and, again, like 10 mins of reading some passages and it hits you; these are mostly Galbeed tribes and the "Country of the Somalis" by the sea is waaaay too close to Harar, Bali and the frontiers between the Muslims and Christians to be Sanaag or Sool or Bari. Not to mention that the tribe he chases to their territory by the sea are the SAMAROON (Habar Maqdi). It's Awdal, for God's sake! Not to mention, the book never refers to Somalis as mercenaries or outsiders or gives you that impression. It's so weird, wallahi.
It makes sense the Habar Maqdi are the Samaroon/Gadabursi since even today the two branches are called Habar Makadur and Habar 'Affan, I remember reading up on it years ago, people connecting them to Samaroon and others to the Jidwaaq.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I think some of you need to be publishing in academic circles some of the things here are too good to be left as forum posts.

I'm gonna try to make the time for that someday. Life's just a little busy. This is the first short break I'll be getting for the first 4 months of this year. But it's truly possible, walaalo. The cool thing about adeer Shidaad is that he's not actually a formally taught historian or anthropologist. I can't remember but his work expertise is in other fields entirely but the quality of his work still managed to get him published in various journals. Idilinaa also told me about another Somali dude with something like an engineering background or something who was doing the same. We can actually get published without having to go through an Anthropology PHD. Some of y'all should really think about it. I will at some point in the future when I'm more free.

Garaad Awal

Zubeyri, Hanafi Maturidi
The thread is incorrect. There are two clans mentioned in the Futuh: Habar Magaadle & Habar Maqdi.

Habar Magaadle led by Ahmed Gurey As-Somali were one of the first tribes to reach the Imam with 2000 infantry & 200 cavalry. The chronicler says how impressed the Imam was with the Habar Magaadle and how they looked like impressive fighters & cavalry men.

Habar Maqdi led by Garaad Dawit (Christian name) rebelled against the Sultanate and only brought 500 troops later into the war against Abyssinia. This is the Habar Maqdi that @Shimbiris claims is Samarone although I see no real evidence that points to it as there is no Samarone clan called Habar Maqdi.

NidarNidar

Punisher
The thread is incorrect. There are two clans mentioned in the Futuh: Habar Magaadle & Habar Maqdi.

Habar Magaadle led by Ahmed Gurey As-Somali were one of the first tribes to reach the Imam with 2000 infantry & 200 cavalry. The chronicler says how impressed the Imam was with the Habar Magaadle and how they looked like impressive fighters & cavalry men.

Habar Maqdi led by Garaad Dawit (Christian name) rebelled against the Sultanate and only brought 500 troops later into the war against Abyssinia. This is the Habar Maqdi that @Shimbiris claims is Samarone although I see no real evidence that points to it as there is no Samarone clan called Habar Maqdi.
We can let the man speak for himself @Shimbiris I'm not as knowledgeable in this area of history but I haven't seen Habar Magaadle ever mentioned, I've only seen people pointing out that Habar Maqdi is a mistranslation, and notes by authors pointing it out being a mistranslation of Habar Makadur.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

So, because you don't agree Habar Maqdi is the Samaroon the entire thread is incorrect? What? That's like a tiny throw away point on pages 3-4 of this thread while I'm having discussions with y'all. What does it have to do with the main point of the thread? Also, are you pretending now that Gurgura, Geri Kombe, Barsuuk, Bartire, Habar Magaadle, Mareexaan and all the rest lived in Sanaag in the 1500s? That the author for some reason only states Hartis are from the east in Maydh (and they're the only outlier non-Galbeed tribe) and just forgets to bother with the others? That they all coincidentally are the same tribes that live in and around Harar 300 years later and even now? That's some real pleading...

Furthermore, it's like you haven't read the thread because I've been pointing out throughout it that there are two "Habar" tribes in the book as you correctly outlined. In the English translation of the Futuh both are listed as "Habar Maqdi" incorrectly but as I stated earlier in the thread the original Arabic version lists one of them as "Habar Majadli" which is obviously Habar Magaadle and most likely mostly referring to Habar Awals since they're the ones mostly present in and around Harar (including being inhabitants) in the following centuries like when Burton shows up and they're the ones that document I shared shows a maternal link to the Imam, if I recall correctly.

As for the Samaroon assumption, it is not baseless, to be fair. Some scholars have assumed it is referring to the Habar Makadur as @NidarNidar correctly stated and when you actually read the book and realize the location the Imam is chasing this tribe to it is apparent it is basically the northwest coast. Read the thread I linked to on Anthrogenica or even read the book yourself. "The country of the Somalis" he chases them to is clearly not far from Harar, Bale and the frontiers between the Muslims and Christians. What modern tribe they are is genuinely irrelevant to that main point. I've seen others make the point, with some sources, that they were in fact some other Western Somali tribe and they may well be; the point still stands that the Country of the Somalis is not a far away place to the east at all, Somalis are never referred to as mercenaries or outsiders and these are all 99% Galbeed tribes that still live in the general area today. Walaal, you're the one making outlandish claims that do not jibe with what's in the book. The onus is on you to prove your claims and I have yet to see you to do so beyond splitting hairs about something irrelevant like who the Habar Maqdi are.

Last edited:

Yami

4th Emir of the Akh Right Movement
So, because you don't agree Habar Maqdi is the Samaroon the entire thread is incorrect? What? That's like a tiny throw away point on pages 3-4 of this thread while I'm having discussions with y'all. What does it have to do with the main point of the thread? Also, are you pretending now that Gurgura, Geri Kombe, Barsuuk, Bartire, Habar Magaadle, Mareexaan and all the rest lived in Sanaag in the 1500s? That the author for some reason only states Hartis are from the east in Maydh (and they're the only outlier non-Galbeed tribe) and just forgets to bother with the others? That they all coincidentally are the same tribes that live in and around Harar 300 years later and even now? That's some real pleading...

Furthermore, it's like you haven't read the thread because I've been pointing out throughout it that there are two "Habar" tribes in the book as you correctly outlined. In the English translation of the Futuh both are listed as "Habar Maqdi" incorrectly but as I stated earlier in the thread the original Arabic version lists one of them as "Habar Majadli" which is obviously Habar Magaadle and most likely mostly referring to Habar Awals since they're the ones mostly present in and around Harar (including being inhabitants) in the following centuries like when Burton shows up and they're the ones that document I shared shows a maternal link to the Imam, if I recall correctly.

As for the Samaroon assumption, it is not baseless, to be fair. Some scholars have assumed it is referring to the Habar Makadur as @NidarNidar correctly stated and when you actually read the book and realize the location the Imam is chasing this tribe to it is apparent it is basically the northwest coast. Read the thread I linked to on Anthrogenica or even read the book yourself. "The country of the Somalis" he chases them to is clearly not far from Harar, Bale and the frontiers between the Muslims and Christians. What modern tribe they are is genuinely irrelevant to that main point. I've seen others make the point, with some sources, that they were in fact some other Western Somali tribe and they may well be; the point still stands that the Country of the Somalis is not a far away place to the east at all, Somalis are never referred to as mercenaries or outsiders and these are all 99% Galbeed tribes that still live in the general area today. Walaal, you're the one making outlandish claims that do not jibe with what's in the book. The onus is on you to prove your claims and I have yet to see you to do so beyond splitting hairs about something irrelevant like who the Habar Maqdi are.
Samaroon has had a presence in Awdal since the times of Imam Cali Siciid their clan founder in the late 1300's. From general location to extremely similar naming, Habar Makdur are guaranteed to be the right candidates for Habar Maqdi.

1710092388891.png

Page 153 of The Cambridge History of Africa Vol 3.

1710092777238.png

Last edited:

Garaad Awal

Zubeyri, Hanafi Maturidi
Samaroon has had a precence in Awdal since the times of Imam Cali Siciid their clan founder in the early 1390's. From general location to extremely similar naming, Habar Makdur are guaranteed to be the right candidates for Habar Maqdi.

View attachment 319870

Page 153 of The Cambridge History of Africa Vol 3.

View attachment 319871
Terrible map and I would like evidence of the existence of this so called Imam.
So, because you don't agree Habar Maqdi is the Samaroon the entire thread is incorrect?
Didn't bother to read the thread that @NidarNidar linked other than the beginning. That old thread began with the absurd assumption that the Habar Maqdi was Samarone when there's ZERO evidence that proves that
What? That's like a tiny throw away point on pages 3-4 of this thread while I'm having discussions with y'all. What does it have to do with the main point of the thread?
I wasnt talking about your thread, it was the thread that @NidarNidar linked too which is what I was responding to...
Furthermore, it's like you haven't read the thread because I've been pointing out throughout it that there are two "Habar" tribes in the book as you correctly outlined. In the English translation of the Futuh both are listed as "Habar Maqdi" incorrectly but as I stated earlier in the thread the original Arabic version lists one of them as "Habar Majadli" which is obviously Habar Magaadle and most likely mostly referring to Habar Awals
Habar Awal at that time were probably too small so I'm pretty sure it was the entire Habar Magaadle clan which makes sense by the size of the troops we brought 2.2k compared to the other clans who brought much smaller amount. This makes sense as Habar Magaadle which is 85% of the modern Isaaq clan is one of the largest (population-wise) Somali clan confederations in the Horn. I'm pretty sure we mostly lived in the modern Maroodi Jeex & Saaxil regions of SL, our entrance into Gabiley region & Ethiopia must have been a little later.

Both Maroodi Jeex & Saaxil were integral regions in both the Ifat & Adal Sultanate's.
As for the Samaroon assumption, it is not baseless, to be fair. Some scholars have assumed it is referring to the Habar Makadur as @NidarNidar correctly stated
They can assume all they like, there is still no actual convincing evidence that Habar Maqdi is Habar Makador.

This guy would spend all his time on FKD - waa ciilqaabe and no one knows who hurt him.

Also how are you so convinced 'Habar Magaadle' even contributed- the Ramzy Egyptian copy is the only version of the manuscript that differentiates 'Habar Magaadle' and 'Habar Maqdi'.

This is the oldest book that comments on the Futuh and it was reprinted in 1910- no 'Habar Magaadle' is mentioned:

All that kibir and isla-weyni and you're relying on what is effectively Chinese whispers as no one has the original manuscript only edited copies and the second half was lost.