Fulani

eKlKg-veoPLCmpDUh68kqs1yAoRaR9rhgedh7W4J63MV9r9kMqO1BWg5RonDZ425u9gm170h9Nt73OQCs4sNKyxSs_ZdphFQ4ksB88yd23riuIkLcIF4VVl0zep_VRX9JaaUNbm_-HLEsnawjqPP5k8

I modeled the Fulanis on the datasheet. In "North-African," I used the samples, Gaunche (Berber-related people from the Canary Islands who are extinct), Saharawi, and Taforalt (very ancient, 15,100-13,900 BP). On the Gambia_WOLLOF, I used two samplings from a set of samples that approximated the internal components closest to the collective average, which also had the best fits (vetted through another mixture modeling with Sudanese, Yoruba, and Taforalt) to minimize extra intricacies.

x-eWxBLNTenH2s4x79M9HMrKzvJWA1ueDRns6t9Yo6iZq7KZaItqXGd65lvneWEgK1UfuPrB6db3iG60ATt4GlugDwtl-UX_NJGhBsp8bkW5of9u1RHQVygDxo0tGDhxBx6S3j0-9TCSYGnc_0YIWt8

Here I replaced the Gambian Wolof samples with Yoruba. You see that the "North-African" increased in percentage. It's because those Wolof samples are not entirely West African. About ~15 of their DNA is attributed to Nilo-Saharan-related and ancient North African ancestry, which absorbs or masks North African DNA into Wolof, and that's why it is increased when using Yoruba, a relatively non-admixed sample.
V9hqLwiFCsC5prCBzmfnr8JJkK7WmgUnFcUltken8wHohRFieLXCHc_hOiLGQEBO7Cn8PrU4XTv-TMJ19HD_I_P1nD6J98jTgQMg-jSon6wQRyr-Ny5djxfm4H91Rt2dSETYX1rNCClrPGOXnYjvPBY

And here is one including Sudanese.

@HiraanBorn

World

VIP
fulani is a big ethnicity, don’t think they have as much north african admixture in nigeria

fulani is a big ethnicity, don’t think they have as much north african admixture in nigeria
I'm aware that, with plus 30 million people, there will be some level of regional genetic variation when they are that spread out. Those two samples (averages) were in the spreadsheet. One of them, the Zinaire, is from Burkina Faso, somewhere central.

I have seen a sample (or two) from the Gambia that had it in the 10% percentile. These non-West African levels are from ancient mixing, nothing recent. So the people with the highest ancestry had retention, while people with less North African were indicative of mixing. I read somewhere that Fulani women were marrying out to sedentary farmers (likely adjacent groups, as I know they out-marry to religious, cultural, and ethnic distinct peoples), so they are losing their mtDNA diversity. I think there is also variation in lactose persistence frequency among them. This can indicate admixture as well.

I'm aware that, with plus 30 million people, there will be some level of regional genetic variation when they are that spread out. Those two samples (averages) were in the spreadsheet. One of them, the Zinaire, is from Burkina Faso, somewhere central.

I have seen a sample (or two) from the Gambia that had it in the 10% percentile. These non-West African levels are from ancient mixing, nothing recent. So the people with the highest ancestry had retention, while people with less North African were indicative of mixing. I read somewhere that Fulani women were marrying out to sedentary farmers (likely adjacent groups, as I know they out-marry to religious, cultural, and ethnic distinct peoples), so they are losing their mtDNA diversity. I think there is also variation in lactose persistence frequency among them. This can indicate admixture as well.
*don't out-marry

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I just saw your further elaboration on your comment. I agree. Europe and increasingly Asia have considerable coverage across the early to modern time transects. Africa, however, got almost nothing, relatively speaking. There is an inequality in funding and interests. The idea that the extraction of DNA in African fossils is getting outdated and a lousy excuse. Methodology and technology have overcome those limitations. Sure, a lot of fossils will not yield meaningful extractions, but many do. In fact, I think those labs hold a lot of pre-historic DNA in their vaults and fail to produce studies or coherent contextual narratives.

Peep this, in one recent study, researchers got DNA from Paleolithic sediments in the Levant, surpassing the theoretical expectations of DNA conservation in warm climates (30-70kya).

I concur with the Caucasus Indo-European drivel. But there was one juicy good thing that came from it:

"We investigated how the changing ancestral landscape of the Southern Arc, as reflected in DNA, corresponds to the structure inferred by linguistics, which links Anatolian (e.g., Hittite and Luwian) and Indo-European (e.g., Greek, Armenian, Latin, and Sanskrit) languages as twin daughters of a Proto-Indo-Anatolian language."

"However, the link connecting the Proto-Indo-European–speaking Yamnaya with the speakers of Anatolian languages was in the highlands of West Asia, the ancestral region shared by both."

Indo-European-obsessed Neo-Nazis and Far-Right people went crazy mad when the Southern Arc came out. Respect to Lazaridis and them for sticking it to them.

I just saw your further elaboration on your comment. I agree. Europe and increasingly Asia have considerable coverage across the early to modern time transects. Africa, however, got almost nothing, relatively speaking. There is an inequality in funding and interests. The idea that the extraction of DNA in African fossils is getting outdated and a lousy excuse. Methodology and technology have overcome those limitations. Sure, a lot of fossils will not yield meaningful extractions, but many do. In fact, I think those labs hold a lot of pre-historic DNA in their vaults and fail to produce studies or coherent contextual narratives.

Peep this, in one recent study, researchers got DNA from Paleolithic sediments in the Levant, surpassing the theoretical expectations of DNA conservation in warm climates (30-70kya).

I concur with the Caucasus Indo-European drivel. But there was one juicy good thing that came from it:

"We investigated how the changing ancestral landscape of the Southern Arc, as reflected in DNA, corresponds to the structure inferred by linguistics, which links Anatolian (e.g., Hittite and Luwian) and Indo-European (e.g., Greek, Armenian, Latin, and Sanskrit) languages as twin daughters of a Proto-Indo-Anatolian language."

"However, the link connecting the Proto-Indo-European–speaking Yamnaya with the speakers of Anatolian languages was in the highlands of West Asia, the ancestral region shared by both."

Indo-European-obsessed Neo-Nazis and Far-Right people went crazy mad when the Southern Arc came out. Respect to Lazaridis and them for sticking it to them.

I’m not as confident as you are about African aDNA analysis tbh. I would be very surprised if in the future we have as good a picture of the major transects of African migratory history compared to say Scandinavia or the British Isles. With more labs using petrous bone drilling to extract DNA, we could get a more focused picture of the past but DNA/bone degradation due to temperature/bacteria is too steep a task for modern technology to overcome imo. The recent Kadruka paper from Sudan dampened my previous optimism. Outside of places with very localised climatic factors, like the one described in the paper you linked, I don’t see how this changes.

The right wing relationship with population genetics is fascinating. These are the same people who accuse genetics and the wider fields of anthropology/archeology of privileging Marxist ideologies over the facts. But when the data is quite clear with regards to the Southern Arc, they’re the ones who throw a hissy fit about it lol.

Their recent infatuation with the Bantu migration is laughable too. They act like farmers taking over and eliminating hunter-gatherer groups didn’t take place in Europe and pretty much everywhere else in the world. But because Bantus are Black Africans, we have to pretend there’s something unique and animalistic about their expansion.

I’m not as confident as you are about African aDNA analysis tbh. I would be very surprised if in the future we have as good a picture of the major transects of African migratory history compared to say Scandinavia or the British Isles. With more labs using petrous bone drilling to extract DNA, we could get a more focused picture of the past but DNA/bone degradation due to temperature/bacteria is too steep a task for modern technology to overcome imo. The recent Kadruka paper from Sudan dampened my previous optimism. Outside of places with very localised climatic factors, like the one described in the paper you linked, I don’t see how this changes.

The right wing relationship with population genetics is fascinating. These are the same people who accuse genetics and the wider fields of anthropology/archeology of privileging Marxist ideologies over the facts. But when the data is quite clear with regards to the Southern Arc, they’re the ones who throw a hissy fit about it lol.

Their recent infatuation with the Bantu migration is laughable too. They act like farmers taking over and eliminating hunter-gatherer groups didn’t take place in Europe and pretty much everywhere else in the world. But because Bantus are Black Africans, we have to pretend there’s something unique and animalistic about their expansion.
It's the level of focus. No doubt, there is a reduced resolution chance for the data in humid and warm and oscillating environments, but what is lacking is actually doing aDNA research in Africa. The yield per fossil will be lower than in Europe, there is no confusion about this. But do not forget, we just had an18kya individuals (and many other samples double the time of the age of Pastoral Neolithic) sequenced and much older than the Shum-Laka, way older than the Kadruka sample, from quite tropical and warm environments. The Kadruka sample had a weird highly unusually degraded DNA structure profile (and we got value from it despite that) and they used an experimental hair strand DNA extraction sequential methodology which sets a new precedent for possible alternatives if the petrous bone, the highest DNA concentrated area, does not yield. The issue with African aDNA is the level of funding and attention. The rest will fall in place. We don't need total 1:1 coverage as European proportions, no one even asks for that. But an admittedly aspect of aDNA research is the low attention given to Africa, and that has to change.

Yeah, those far-right people can keep taking Ls. Their whole worldview is flipped upside down when they try so hard to stick to their baseless narratives about humanity in general.

No, they are Niger-Congo speaking peoples with ancient north African and West African ancestry and some Nilo-Saharan.
Where does the Nilo-Saharan admixture in West Africans come from, like date and what may have lead to it? I've noticed on several West African samples such as the Yoruba, Mandinke, Wolof, that there is a faint Nilo-Saharan trace and it's even more remarkable to find this Nilo-Saharan trace among ethnicities so far west of the continent around the Atlantic coast. I never ruled out the idea that the predecessors of Nilo-Saharans would have branched out and made expansions west into the Sahel and South into tropical West Africa, but I've never really understood how the Nilo-Saharan genetic input came to be so vast across the region and how significant it appears in some Ethnicities. Especially with the Drying of the Sahara, you'd think that migrations in the opposite direction were more likely to happen, thus working against any movement east to west made by Nilo-Saharan people.

Where does the Nilo-Saharan admixture in West Africans come from, like date and what may have lead to it? I've noticed on several West African samples such as the Yoruba, Mandinke, Wolof, that there is a faint Nilo-Saharan trace and it's even more remarkable to find this Nilo-Saharan trace among ethnicities so far west of the continent around the Atlantic coast. I never ruled out the idea that the predecessors of Nilo-Saharans would have branched out and made expansions west into the Sahel and South into tropical West Africa, but I've never really understood how the Nilo-Saharan genetic input came to be so vast across the region and how significant it appears in some Ethnicities. Especially with the Drying of the Sahara, you'd think that migrations in the opposite direction were more likely to happen, thus working against any movement east to west made by Nilo-Saharan people.
Some material for you:

Click borrow, and you're good to go. You'll have to re-click the button after an hour pass.

here the Fulani from Ziniaré in Burkina Faso have ancestry fractions of 74.5% West African, 21.4% European and 4.1% East African origin at K = 3.

which group does the 74% west Africa come from?

Trending