Free education initiative gives hope to children in Sanaag region

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirLancelLord

Reformation of Somaliland
VIP

An initiative by university graduates and students is enabling nomadic Somali children whose education was cut short by the punishing drought to catch up on their studies.

The group of 150 youth have set up classes for children of destitute pastoralist families, displaced by drought and resettled in Hingalol, Elbuh and Damala-Hagare villages in Sanag region.

So far, 120 children have enrolled for the programme and are resuming learning.

Abdirahman Jama, the chairperson of the group, told Radio Ergo they opened three schools in the villages to give free education to the children.

The schools each have two rooms and enroll children aged between six and 11 for classes in reading, writing, and mathematics.

“The idea to set up these schools came to mind after we saw children from these villages whose families are poor staying at home with no access to education,” Abdirahman said. “We have hired teachers from the areas to teach 120 children,among them 75 girls.”

Abdirahman said six teachers have been hired on a monthly salary of $100 each.

“Our monthly budget is between $4,000 and $4,500 based on contributions. These cater for the rent, salaries for the teachers, as well as learning materials such as chalk, books and pens,” he said.

Mohamud Ahmed, 11, whose family was displaced by the drought is among the pupils at one of the schools.

“When I grow up, I want to be an engineer. I am learning mathematics and how to write the Somali language. I also learn the Quran,” he said.

Aisha AididGuleid, a mother of three, fled a rural area on the outskirts of Hingalol town after the drought wiped out their livestock.After settling in Hingalol, Aisha started a small business selling vegetables to support her family.

She told Radio Ergo that she is relieved that her three children are being supported to go to school.

“We appreciate the opportunities given to children. To us, it is something big because it gave our children who used to stay at home a chance to access free education. I would not be able to pay their fees,” Aisha said.

Asha Owke Farah, another mother in Hingalol, welcomed the free schools. She had dropped the idea of schooling her four children due to financial problems.

Asha told Radio Ergo going to school had boosted the morale of her children.

“I took my children, two boys and two girls, to the school. My children never attended school before this one because I was financially unstable but now they have a chance to get an education,” she said.

An initiative by university graduates and students is enabling nomadic Somali children whose education was cut short by the punishing drought to catch up on their studies.

The group of 150 youth have set up classes for children of destitute pastoralist families, displaced by drought and resettled in Hingalol, Elbuh and Damala-Hagare villages in Sanag region.

So far, 120 children have enrolled for the programme and are resuming learning.

Abdirahman Jama, the chairperson of the group, told Radio Ergo they opened three schools in the villages to give free education to the children.

The schools each have two rooms and enroll children aged between six and 11 for classes in reading, writing, and mathematics.

“The idea to set up these schools came to mind after we saw children from these villages whose families are poor staying at home with no access to education,” Abdirahman said. “We have hired teachers from the areas to teach 120 children,among them 75 girls.”

Abdirahman said six teachers have been hired on a monthly salary of $100 each.

“Our monthly budget is between $4,000 and $4,500 based on contributions. These cater for the rent, salaries for the teachers, as well as learning materials such as chalk, books and pens,” he said.

Mohamud Ahmed, 11, whose family was displaced by the drought is among the pupils at one of the schools.

“When I grow up, I want to be an engineer. I am learning mathematics and how to write the Somali language. I also learn the Quran,” he said.

Aisha AididGuleid, a mother of three, fled a rural area on the outskirts of Hingalol town after the drought wiped out their livestock.After settling in Hingalol, Aisha started a small business selling vegetables to support her family.

She told Radio Ergo that she is relieved that her three children are being supported to go to school.

“We appreciate the opportunities given to children. To us, it is something big because it gave our children who used to stay at home a chance to access free education. I would not be able to pay their fees,” Aisha said.

Asha Owke Farah, another mother in Hingalol, welcomed the free schools. She had dropped the idea of schooling her four children due to financial problems.

Asha told Radio Ergo going to school had boosted the morale of her children.

“I took my children, two boys and two girls, to the school. My children never attended school before this one because I was financially unstable but now they have a chance to get an education,” she said.
Can't you guys leave dhulbahante alone geez you guys are so upses with them

SirLancelLord

VIP
Can't you guys leave dhulbahante alone geez you guys are so upses with them

What's wrong with you trying to share a good news story. Move your tribalism elsewhere.

This is the goal when you get an ineffective government. Crowdfunding to help the poor

SirLancelLord

VIP
If you're Muslim you wouldn't be separating you're selves from you brothers

We're not just because we're a different country don't mean we don't work live play together. The business community in both countries see no borders.

Somaliland made a conscience decision to leave the Union, but I've side won't accept it. If it did there would be no hostility between us politically as we both help each other out

SirLancelLord

VIP
Damn $100 a month is low as f*ck.

It is alot in these villages

I was in this cafe where these guys we're taking about how much money is with in different areas. In Burco 500$ Lata l could last a family several month whereas in Hargeisa that's gone in a few weeks

SomaliMVP

Somali chauvinist
It is alot in these villages

I was in this cafe where these guys we're taking about how much money is with in different areas. In Burco 500$ Lata l could last a family several month whereas in Hargeisa that's gone in a few weeks

I know. But it is still low as f*ck. In LA teachers get ~$150.

We're not just because we're a different country don't mean we don't work live play together. The business community in both countries see no borders.

Somaliland made a conscience decision to leave the Union, but I've side won't accept it. If it did there would be no hostility between us politically as we both help each other out
Only isaaqs want to leave stop bringing others in to it

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Wish these charities were audited and regulated like in the West.

Far too many crooks made me lose trust in these charities back home.

Really hope this is real as this might be the only education those kids will get for a while.

SirLancelLord

VIP
Wish these charities were audited and regulated like in the West.

Far too many crooks made me lose trust in these charities back home.

Really hope this is real as this might be the only education those kids will get for a while.

yeah u gotta watch out with putting money into these group projects to build something back home.

remember pontus marine that crashed and burned after asking alot of people money

Fair Fishing inc in Berbera is much better its teaching people to fish and built cold storage facilities

I saw this one article on this 60 yr old man who started fishing thanks to them and wish he done this sooner as he left his family to seek out work to feed them and now makes enough to send his grandkids / kids to school and uni and wish he started it younger

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
yeah u gotta watch out with putting money into these group projects to build something back home.

remember pontus marine that crashed and burned after asking alot of people money

Fair Fishing inc in Berbera is much better its teaching people to fish and built cold storage facilities

I saw this one article on this 60 yr old man who started fishing thanks to them and wish he done this sooner as he left his family to seek out work to feed them and now makes enough to send his grandkids / kids to school and uni and wish he started it younger

The Somali diaspora would be able to funnel hundreds of millions annually if these projects were better regulated.

Not afraid that they'll run off with the funds but that they end up providing a mediocre service and the projects doesn't end up helping anyone.

Imagine if these schools were employing underpaid & unqualified teachers while pocketing the rest of the funds?

What can we do to stop that or even find out how the students are progressing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts